Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 6:03 am

I understand that, personally I have no problem with either lust or masturbation. In comparison to other faiths, the catholic church does not make many restrictions on what food you can eat, when you can eat it and how it should be prepared.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 6:46 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
I do not feel that Halal muslim meat is slaughtered in any way humanely. I will avoid Halal meat if possible. In the modern age of mass production of meat, I feel that Halal slaughter is not an appropriate method of slaughter.

There is a link below, the first shot shows a cow killed immediately with a bolt gun in a westernised abattoir, the room is clean and free from any bodily fluids. The rest of the film is of various animals being slaughtered for food under Halal controls.

I think it cant be said that easily. Most Halal slaughterers work in an small area, so when it comes to the slaughtering itself, I think its better done quick and swiftly, with as less pain as possible, So the bolt or electro shock is better then the Halal slaughtering, I think, which doesnt mean that I think Halal slaughtering done exactly would be cruel. When farmers do local slaughtering around here at their farm, its still pretty much the same. Quick cut into the neck, bleeding out until its dead, then hanging so the rest of the blood comes out.

I think thats not as good as if a local slaughter does it professional with a bolt, but still lots better then if the animal gets transported over days in a truck or train-car, where they do not get propperly water, often get hurt in the transports without someone caring, reaching a slaughter factory with open wounds, broken bones and dehydrated until it get finally the bolt to end its pain.

About the hygiena: Studies have shown, that in this gigantic slaughter factories, even with use of all that desinfection stuff, using chemicals, "clean rooms" for slaughtering...the flesh has in the end about ten times the amount of bacteria then if slaughtered at an unhygienic local farm. Simply because the local farmers, maybe slaughters 5 animals a day, so only the bacteria of that 5 animals can be spread, while if you slaughter 20.000 animals a day, even if you avoid 99% of the bacteria of that 20.000 animals, in the end its still much more.

Around here we still eat lots of local farmer flesh, because of it being cheaper then on the supermarket (but while the supermarkets offers it everyday, the farmers have their specific slaughter days) and we also often eat typical farmer meals from that oh so unhygienic wooden dishes EU wants to forbid us, and until now everything was fine. ^^

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 6:56 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
I understand that, personally I have no problem with either lust or masturbation. In comparison to other faiths, the catholic church does not make many restrictions on what food you can eat, when you can eat it and how it should be prepared.

The only restrictions are those which are on Friday and Lent.

On Friday, the effective abstinence from meat. However, during Lent, it is recommended, when Ash Wednesday and the Easter Tridum

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 7:52 am

Schneekugel wrote:
neilson_wheels wrote:
I do not feel that Halal muslim meat is slaughtered in any way humanely.

The rest of the film is of various animals being slaughtered for food under Halal controls.

I think it cant be said that easily. Most Halal slaughterers work in an small area, so when it comes to the slaughtering itself, I think its better done quick and swiftly, with as less pain as possible, So the bolt or electro shock is better then the Halal slaughtering, I think, which doesnt mean that I think Halal slaughtering done exactly would be cruel. When farmers do local slaughtering around here at their farm, its still pretty much the same. Quick cut into the neck, bleeding out until its dead, then hanging so the rest of the blood comes out.

Around here we still eat lots of local farmer flesh, because of it being cheaper then on the supermarket (but while the supermarkets offers it everyday, the farmers have their specific slaughter days) and we also often eat typical farmer meals from that oh so unhygienic wooden dishes EU wants to forbid us, and until now everything was fine. ^^

I assumed this discussion was about mass produced meat. I agree for someone who slaughters animals occasionally there is no real alternative. The original aim, to kill by bleeding out, is due to the blood congealing and helping to spoil the meat. With modern techniques there is no need for these practices to continue.

There is also no real reason for long transportation either apart from the accountants desire to make another few cents per head.

Your account of the animals killed at a farm is not an option in the UK.

I have no problem with killing animals to eat myself or that are pests. I do aim to kill them with the least distress possible.
This can not be said for religious meat processors although I believe more animals are stunned in the UK under religious controls than in Europe.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 7:58 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
In what way has a wolf got anything to do with this?

It was an example. Point was in their natural state such sheep would've had a worse end at the hands of a predator than the one humans provide.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 8:02 am

Sorry, I still don't see the relevance.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 10:54 am

Quote:
I assumed this discussion was about mass produced meat. I agree for someone who slaughters animals occasionally there is no real alternative. The original aim, to kill by bleeding out, is due to the blood congealing and helping to spoil the meat. With modern techniques there is no need for these practices to continue.

As mentioned, around here halal slaughery is mostly done local, so beside specific supermarkets in capital cities that trade goods out of muslim countries and so have industrial halal flesh as well, the muslims living in the country normally have local slaughterers. So I wouldnt understand why it should be forbidden in my country, which is neighbor to Hungary, because the local Halal slaughtering is in my eyes still much better, then the way the average flesh around here is produced. So butchers do still have local flesh, but if you buy instant product or packed sausages from the supermarket, then its mostly industrial flesh from animals that had to endure much worse then being slaughtered Halal.

So if we forbid Halal slaughtering out of cruelty, then industrial not-local slaughtering had to be forbidden as well in my eyes, because I think after being carried around for more then 24 hours, injured, dehydrated and so on, I think if you then slaughter the animal with bolt or do it exactly Halalstyle, doesnt care anymore that much. Beside the fact, that these 5 minutes it needs until the animals dies, is much less cruel then the way industrial animals are kept in industrial factories nowadays,