Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

the_grand_autismo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jul 2013, 4:36 pm

Some of the more unusual smells I like are dirt and mulch, flax oil (in oil paints), fried food smell, and concrete being mixed.

Harsh turpentine-like or petrochemical smells usually give me a searing headache, so I don't like any of those.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 4:41 pm

WitchsCat wrote:
I know this sounds weird, but I like how cats smell, as they have a unique scent. I also like the scents of books (old and new), newspaper, magazines, clay, and my mom's van.

well am guessing that choice woud be dropped rather quickly if were to meet one of the sisters cats;ruby then.
mrs rubelcubes [as she is known affectionately] has an anal gland problem which results in anal gland stink being thrown everywhere very often,she needs an operation but sister says its a big op when it doesnt affect her as such,but yes,its not nice when she points that ass in our faces but we loves her all the same. 8)

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 4:51 pm

54together wrote:
I LOVE the smell of pages in books! I'm not a big reader, but I love putting my face right up to books and sniffing all the pages.
Oh, and getting into a hot car. The sensation isn't nice, but the smell is. :P

Thats funny, I was going to write the same thing, though to be more specific, just one series of books.
Back in the 1960s, the Beatrix Potter little white books were the most amazingly good quality, each page had quality shiny paper, but the best bit was the smell, I never used to read them, just sit there smelling them, never smealt any other book as good as them..

As for the other smells people like, I hate petrol I detest the smell of modern cars. especially when hot, that smell is harmfull BPAs I think, coming off all the plastics to harm your brain, it actually makes me want to vomit, thats why I prefer old cars, ones that smell of grease and leather.

Cut grass also makes me want to vomit.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 5:09 pm

Hadn't thought about the "new car smell" in a long time, then one of the new buses in our town's fleet started smelling like that (must have just been built) and I enjoy it very much. I know, I know--harmful chemicals from that, but since windows are usually open and the doors are always opening and closing, I don't think it's too concentrated.

The hair of someone I love, within two or three days of having washed it. It's comforting and familiar.

Certain incenses and essential oils, but only in quantities I control. Anything from honeysuckle and rose to cypress and pine.

Random things that bring back memories from childhood: plaster or paint that reminds me of a former school, a combination of hand soap and cigarettes (yes, I know, gross) that evokes the restroom at an airport which, in turn, reminds me of an enjoyable vacation...stuff like that. Same with certain perfumes that transport me back to 10 or so years ago, when certain things were relatively simpler....

And: cut grass, the scent in the air just before or after it rains, and yes--that "shift to autumn" scent that I can't quite describe any other way.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 7:29 pm

I love the smell of new magazines, sometimes I'll stand at the checkout in shops smelling them... gets me some odd looks from strangers to be sure. I also like the new/old book smell, particularly the ones with glossy pages. I also like the smell of Elmer's glue (though I'm careful not to go so far as to huff it!), wall paint, rain, and the inside of Halloween pumpkins that get that roasted smell when you stick candles in them.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

AutumnSylver
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jul 2013, 2:53 am

I like the way my dogs' feet smell. They kind of smell like doritos :lol: I also like their own body scent (a few days after they've had a bath when the smell of the shampoo goes away, and their own smell comes back. I love putting my nose in their fur while I'm cuddling them and smelling them).
I also like the way the pages in books smell. I always smell a book before I buy it. If the pages smell good, that's a bonus. (I have an atlas that smells so good). If they don't, I just try not to turn the pages too fast and push the smell into my face while I'm reading it.
I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now.

ibookfan92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2013, 1:06 am

Hee hee... this is a funny one! I like the smell what others might consider odd, like markers, antifreeze, new road, gasoline, and new paint. I love the smell of new hardware or electronics when they first run, or when a computer comes out of the box. I like the smell of certain deodorants, but hate others--mainly, I do not like aerosols! They're strong and annoying for whatever reason. Other than that, I guess I don't really have any problems with this--I imagine for others the list is probably shorter or longer.

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2013, 6:16 am

I like the smell of the skin oils that collect under my (clean) fingernails when I scratch my face or chest or scalp. And my scalp and skin oils in general-- they smell like a mixture between coconuts, pecans, and walnuts, even though I don't use soap with those fragrances. That's why I don't shower every day unless I have to -- if I have to go anywhere, I have to shower because my hair starts to look greasy after a day and a night.
Strangely, I don't like my husband's scalp oils -- they smell too musky. And his skin smells like garlic, when it doesn't smell like cigarettes, even when he hasn't eaten garlic. I definitely don't think I was attracted to him by scent. I like when he wears aftershave, but he often goes for scents that are too strong and sharp. I would like him to use more delicate scents, like Adidas for Men when it first came out or the new Adam Levine fragrance (Levine's fragrance smells like the men's version of Lucky You, a perfume I used to have a sample of that I would daub on my wrists -- I loved that scent).

maia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jul 2013, 12:07 pm

Interesting responses :lol: Some of them gave me a good laugh in a good way

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 12:45 pm

Rubber, linseed oil, a forest (especially in the fall), leather, jet exhaust, are a few I can think of.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 2:43 pm

I like natural smells clean natural smells like essential oils and flowers. I love the smell of coffee beans. I can't stand perfumes and stuff like that that are made with artificial scents. I have had people come over to the house and my sense of smell is sensitive and I have gotten sick for days because of their perfumes lingering in the house. I ask them not to wear perfumes if they come over now. I love the smell of horse tack. I actually like the smell of skunk too. When I was little I loved the smell of petrol but not anymore.