Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2007, 8:04 pm

Are you creative?

pi_woman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2007, 8:18 pm

"creative". Now there's a Rorschach test of a word.

I am creative in the literal sense: I frequently create things. Such as meals, jewelry, ideas, etc.

I am creative in the artistic temperament sense: I enjoy literature, theater and several of the concrete arts (usually esoteric ones like Chihuly's glass works).

I am creative in the engineering sense: I can perceive problems in different ways than NTs and use those perceptions to design and manufacture solutions.

I am creative in the idiomatic commercial sense: I regularly practice several varieties of "crafts."

jnet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jan 2007, 8:21 pm

Ya, I think I am, but not in the same way as others. For example, in art, most art students are "free spirits" who put on blank paper what they are feeling, express themselves, without thought to order (at first, order is second in art). I, on the other hand, have a systematic approach to art, and it is based more on design than art per say. I like patterns and symmetry (not always symmetrical, but balanced i guess is a better word.) I am also creative in finding solutions to problems that others would not have thought of doing.

Steve_Cory
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 8:26 pm

I have always been notoriously creative. :)

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 8:41 pm

I've always considered myself pretty creative, but I've never been able to really produce much to show it. When I was a kid I used to make recordings wtih my guitars but I was inbihited from producing anything really cohesive because of the fact that I can't for the life of me play in time consistently, with a metronome or without. Recently I went back and listened to some of my old recordings and I still think they had alot of potential. I guess my real problem is due to a "lack of organization" as they say, I just kind of throw good ideas here and there but don't really see them through.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 9:17 pm

I like to write.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 9:20 pm

I have creative thinking, which is something that my bestfriend lacks; he is neurotypical and I explain things to him (right-brain related) and he doesn't understand them. At the same time, he is very brilliant but only an academus not a genius.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 9:24 pm

I would say I am very creative, just not necessarily artistic.

Steve

KurtmanJP
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 9:36 pm

I'm better at thinking up fantasy worlds than problem solving.

ooohprettycolors
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2007, 10:01 pm

jnet wrote:
For example, in art, most art students are "free spirits" who put on blank paper what they are feeling, express themselves, without thought to order

Actually, this "free spirit" concept of artists who just look at a blank canvas and paint their current feelings is mostly just a fictitous stereotype of the artist created by non-artists. I'm an artist and have never known of another artist who created in this way. Actually, its quite interesting because this concept of the artist really came into the public's imagination in the late modernist period in Europe and in the 1950's in the U.S. with the popularity of abstract expressionism. Still, Even picasso and Pollock usually had plans and designs in mind beforehand and there is ample evidence of this.

So you have no reason to feel bad about planning your designs. Most artists do. They're probably better that way!

ccgensou
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2007, 12:11 am

I would probably say yes. For the major part of my life, art has been my focal point. But about a year ago, I suddenly lost the interest, deciding to pursue my interest of writing, instead - something which I started with as a younger teen, but had been practising alongside of art until that point.
And I do, too, tend to find creative ways to solve a problem.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 12:15 am

Hmmm... that word is so abstract. So often it's used as if it means the opposite of logic, but I know lots of creative/logical people-- especially on forums like this.

I consider myself both creative and logical.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Sophrosyne
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2007, 12:33 am

Creative, though not spontaneously so. That stochastic element, that spark of inspiration, the bearer of orignality often lacks in me, but it does come sometimes.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

24 Jan 2007, 12:42 am

Theta brain waves are the key to creativity. People with inattention
(ADHD) have theta brain waves often in parts of their brains. People
with ADHD tend to be very creative. If a person with ADHD takes a stimulant that can boost beta brainwaves alot and can infact reduce
a persons creativity! Thats why stimulants are a doubled edged sword for ADHD. I have inattentive ADHD myself and take no meds.
I come up with lots of ideas but never get many done.

trent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2007, 1:07 am

I have quite a few ideas waiting in the wings of my mind, just lingering about. But it takes REAL emotional inspiration in order to get them out.

Quest_techie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2007, 1:19 am

I am mechanically creative, I am also creative from a writing perspective, can't draw