Ketosis as a treatment for aspergers?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BusterBluth
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jul 2013, 12:30 pm

I've recently started a keto diet as a method of lowering my bodyfat. However, I've also seen some studies suggesting it can help with autism. Does anyone here have any experience with keto diets? did it help you?

I was only planning to do it for a few weeks, but I might try to make it a long term lifestyle if it could help me socially.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 1:13 pm

I've found low-to-no carb diets extremely effective for weight loss, but never noticed any effects on my social skills.

I find Chamomile capsules are good for some social anxiety, though the effect is mild, it does help, without making you feel stoned.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 1:40 pm

I couldn't find any studies in people, just mice.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0065021

http://articles.courant.com/2013-06-05/ ... psy-center

Here's the problem:

Quote:
The study, published Wednesday in the journal PLOS ONE, looked at the behaviors of mice bred to have the behavioral characteristics of autism.

Whatever is causing it in the mice is not necessarily analogous to what is causing it in humans. So what changes it in mice won't necessarily change it in humans.

However, it makes for a good self experiment. I think spending some time eating a ketogenic diet is possibly helpful even if it has no effect at all on autistic symptoms. At the very least, it will give your pancreas a rest from having to make insulin all the time.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 4:27 pm

Made me irritable as f**k.

BusterBluth
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jul 2013, 5:00 pm

1000Knives wrote:

You know, I've heard a lot of people say that. But for me, if anything, it's given me more energy and put me in a bettter mood.

Also, fellow Connecticut brah checking in!!

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 5:04 pm

BusterBluth wrote:
1000Knives wrote:

You know, I've heard a lot of people say that. But for me, if anything, it's given me more energy and put me in a bettter mood.

Also, fellow Connecticut brah checking in!!

It'll do that for like a week or two.

Now I eat like 300-400g of carbs a day and life is OK.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 11:38 am

Consider GAPS diet instead. Similar diet but if faithful, you'll only need to be on it for 2-3 years, depending how long it takes your body to heal. Also, it's not just a restricted diet, it teaches you why/how to cook properly. For exampe:

1) Why it's unsafe to heat vegetable oils
2) Why homo milk is "better" than non-fat milk
3) Difference between good & bad fats and why
4) The history of grains, corn and other multi-billion dollar companies
5) Difference between, mono-saturated, poly-saturated, trans-fats, etc
6) Myths of heart disease, cholesterol, high blood pressure

Again, it's not just "dont eat this long list of foods and maybe you'll be fine" diet. It's actually helpful in many ways with a lot of scientific data to back it up.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 6:22 pm

The ketosis diet *is* very well known for reducing epileptic fits, which is interesting.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 12:34 pm

The reality with any "Very low carbohydrate"(VLC) diet is that pushing the body into ketosis for extended periods, or asking the body to process high levels of protein leads to a variety of mild to major conditions; including, but not limited to:

• increased risk of coronary heart disease
  • kidney dysfunction
  • liver dysfunction
  • bone density loss
  • arthritis
  • water retention
  • kidney stones
  • bad breath (ketoacidosis causes a fruity smell on the breath due to increased acetone in the body)
  • body odor
So, it is something best done under the guidance of a physician or dietician (not a nutritionist) and only for short periods of time.

Sources:

NIH Article on Long-Term Benefits & Risks

Web MD Article on High-Protein, Low Carb Diets

Johns Hopkins, "The Dangers of High-Protein, Low-Carbohydrate Diets for People With Diabetes"

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 6:15 pm

Fnord wrote:

This study actually makes a ketotic diet seem pretty awesome and without risk.

Quote:
CONCLUSION: Without active ongoing dietary advice, adherence to dietary intervention is poor. Nonetheless, both dietary patterns achieved net weight loss and improvements in cardiovascular risk factors.

The worst thing they could say about it was that it was hard for the subjects to do without somebody hovering over them to coach them. But net weight loss and improvements in cardiovascular risk factors? That's a good thing. Although nothing to do with autism whatsoever.

The webmd article takes a much dimmer view. But they don't back it up with studies. Perhaps because the studies (such as the one you posted) show that it's a good thing.

Lacking a link for the Johns Hopkins article I resorted to google which found me the Johns Hopkins newsletter.

http://www.johnshopkinshealthalerts.com ... 685-1.html
Quote:
Diabetes Myth 2: "High-protein diets are best for people with type 2 diabetes."
Should you order the steak but skip the potato? Some recent research suggests that eating more protein and cutting carbohydrates may help control type 2 diabetes. One study found that adopting a high-protein diet comprising 30% of total calories for five weeks lowered hemoglobin A1c levels by 0.8%. Other research has found that eating more protein helps promote weight loss and control blood glucose following meals.

While these results are intriguing, most of the studies were small and short term. That means we don't know whether these findings will be repeated in larger groups of people or whether it's possible to sustain a high-protein diet and maintain the benefits on blood glucose over the long term.
Thus, most people with diabetes should consume the same portion of dietary protein as you would find in a typical American diet, which is about 15 to 20% of total calories. The best sources are lean meats, poultry, fish, lowfat dairy foods, and soy products. For individuals with kidney disease, avoiding a high-protein diet is particularly important to reduce stress on the kidneys. Ask your doctor before altering the nutrient makeup of your diet.

bolding by me.

Does that sound so terrible. It worked well in the studies but could people keep it up? According to the other quoted study, some people just stop doing it. But the worst thing they could say with their supporting evidence studies is that people give up (because...cake?) and lose the benefits they gained. But that is truly praising with faint damn. If I had diabetes, I would do this in an instant. The studies show it's all good so long as you keep doing it (the studies also show that many don't keep doing it).

I've actually done it for quite a while (don't have diabetes, never did) and it's all good. (I was doing it when writing the previous upthread comment months ago but didn't say so as it was still self experiment for me. Glad I did it.)

Threore
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Oct 2013, 3:20 pm

My completely untested hypothesis for all diet-helps-autism claims is that eating a more healthy diet makes one healthier (duh), and being healthy in turn makes it easier to compensate for one's autism.

This is only based on personal experience; whenever I haven't slept well, don't feel comfortable, worry about stuff or eat too much sugary stuff (and get shaky), I'm distracted and tired from that and have less energy to put into being a bit less of an autist outwardly.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 5:27 am

I swear by ketosis. <3 I live for my pink test strips of a'mornin'. Ohh yeah.

Just to put this out there:

any potential health risks which have been connected to low-carb diets (a high-protein diet NOT being ketogenic btw, since protein can be utilized in glycogenesis) can't be causally disassociated with the animal product-heavy specific foods which the participants consumed- I can't be convinced dairy and bacon are better for someone than olive oil and avocado, for instance, and a study called "Eco-Atkins" bears out the benefits of low-carbing (not really low- 50g a day) without the adverse affects associated typically with LC diets:

Eco-Atkins

Too often people associate a macro diet with this or that foodstuff, and it's silly.

to his Interest."

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 6:48 pm

1000Knives wrote:

I wonder if the irritability was due to it's detox effects. I've never been on this diet but reading it, it sounds familiar. It would take 2-3 weeks for your body to eliminate the toxins and adjust to the new program. Just saying.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 7:00 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
I swear by ketosis. <3 I live for my pink test strips of a'mornin'. Ohh yeah.

Just to put this out there:

any potential health risks which have been connected to low-carb diets (a high-protein diet NOT being ketogenic btw, since protein can be utilized in glycogenesis) can't be causally disassociated with the animal product-heavy specific foods which the participants consumed- I can't be convinced dairy and bacon are better for someone than olive oil and avocado, for instance, and a study called "Eco-Atkins" bears out the benefits of low-carbing (not really low- 50g a day) without the adverse affects associated typically with LC diets:

Eco-Atkins

Too often people associate a macro diet with this or that foodstuff, and it's silly.

But this is about the Ketogenic diet - which means you have to consume less than 20g of carbs a day.

AussieBob
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Dec 2013, 12:39 am

A ketogenic diet with most calories from fats (cheeses, nuts, ...) some from protein (love bacon ) and very very few carbs has worked wonders for me.

In five months I've gradually and consistently lost weight - 25kg so far and my well being has improved markedly. After the first two weeks my natural energy levels returned making it easier to be more active because it felt good to get up and walk to the shop rather than drive.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 2:58 am

Yes. Miraculous success. See the link in my sig for story & the diet and treatment protocol I've been following for several months now.