I think I may be heat sensitive. What do you think?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

khnk222
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jul 2013, 2:43 pm

Recently I've noticed that I may be more sensitive to heat than my brother and sister--neither were diagnosed with AS as I was. The three of us use computers in the same room, me on the lower bunk of the bunk bed, them in front of me using their computers on desks while sitting in chairs. We have a ceiling fan above that is running most of the time; it does not reach me as well it does my siblings since I'm under the top bunk. The temperature was around 79 degrees Fahrenheit. I was wearing thin pajama pants, without a shirt; my siblings were wearing short sleeve shirts and were in shorts (brother was in his underwear). Unlike my siblings, I started to get really sweaty over time, enough to make me want to get up, and proceed to take a brief shower--which, I did. Before I got up, I asked both my siblings to open the window nearby, they both said: "no", that they were not hot, or bothered by the temperature. This leads me to believe that I may be more sensitive to heat, or that I simply have different conditions (under the bunk, for example) that makes it easier for me to overheat. What do you think?

Other possibly important details: *I'm older than both my siblings--my brother is 12; my sister is 10; I'm 17.
*I'm skinnier than my siblings; my parents and siblings remark about how skinny I am quite often.
*I have shaggy hair; much shorter, though, than the hair of both my brother and sister.
*The fan is not directly above the bunk I was on, it is above, to the right of my bed.

Tilkor
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jul 2013, 3:46 pm

Sensitivity to temperature doesn't seem to be a surprise to me. I'm a bit of the opposite myself, where I'm more sensitive to cold than the heat (yet, living in a potentially cold country). A couple of ideas come to mind. First, get a second (and maybe a third) fan in the room. Also, perhaps you could talk to your parent(s) and tell them what's going on, and ask them for ideas. Additionally, move the computers outside of the bedroom because they can throw out a lot of heat. Other than that, not sure what else to suggest to you.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 6:24 pm

The obvious answer is: you think you are therefore you are.

If it bugs you then it is valid: it bugs you.
Isn't that enough?

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 6:46 pm

I live in a state where it gets very hot, and I too am sensitive to the heat. It is something I have learned to live with, though during most of the year it is relatively nice in Texas.

When I was going to college, I worked all day outside in the Texas sun, and to save money actually spent a couple of summers without air conditioning. I think I was also trying to toughen myself up and force myself to get used to it; I never did. I'm now 51, and have learned to accept that I'm sensitive to the heat, and always will be. Even though I have a ranch now, I spend as little time in the heat as possible.

I am actually hypo-sensitive to cold; I love it provided it doesn't get bitterly cold. I think it is an aspie thing.

As far as bunk beds, believe it or not, being on the bottom bunk is actually coolest, since the cool air tends to sink. What you might want to do is to get yourself a small fan that blows air horizontally next to your bunk.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Jul 2013, 6:49 pm

I am similarly sensitive to heat, and live with people who like it hot. Pure hell.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 7:35 pm

if i'm dressed briefly and am sitting still in the shade, I can handle it up to about 80 if it is not humid, but the minute I lift a finger in physical exertion I drip with sweat in no time at all. if it is 65 and cloudy that is perfect weather for me. indoors I like it to be about 68.

khnk222

23 Jul 2013, 3:15 am

Thanks for the input, people.