Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Tilkor
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jul 2013, 4:56 pm

Not sure if this topic has been discussed or not, but here goes...

I've always tried to keep an open mind about things (ie. reincarnation, ufo's, ghosts, etc), But have also tried to look at it skeptically as well (could a certain event be recreated and misinterpreted). Because of this, I've been participating in a paranormal interest group for the past few months that's been held by the Edmonton Paranormal Society. Recently, we took a little "field trip" to a grave yard. One of the things that the host suggested we do is to find the "hot spot" of the grave yard. When this was said, I felt automatically drawn to a specific spot within the area. During the course of the night, we tried communicating with spirits, took photographs in hopes of capturing orbs, etc. All in all, had a good time with it.

When I tried to tell my uncle in Ontario about it, he was going on and on about how there are only demonic entities out there that are trying to lure me to the "dark side", and that I would go to hell if I pursue this interest.

So, to sum up, have some questions here:

1. Can Aspies be sensitive towards the spirit world?

2. Is there a way of dealing with my Uncle without insulting his belief system?

Any ideas?

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 5:25 pm

I'm not sure if aspies are sensitive towards spirits but I personally can feel them and hear them. A lot of people in my family can though.

I think you shouldn't talk to your uncle about this subject. It's the best way to keep the peace!

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 6:50 pm

Once someone believes your beliefs or activities are demonic (and therefore evil) there is NO WAY to deal with them short of a Crusade.

This is the basis for ALL religious wars, religious genocide, religious murder, religious theft, religious torture; in short every 'religious' evil ever perpetrated was -because the "other guy was demonic and evil".

This mindset is too closed to deal with, you can only surrender to their point of view, in their opinion.
Or go to hell, with them helping you get there sooner.

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jul 2013, 7:13 pm

I'm not sensitive enough to the real world. I certainly have no sensitivities to the spiritual world. Even religion is hard for me because I don't sense things people of faith claim.

I agree though, don't discuss it with someone who makes claims like that. You'll never win that argument.

greyjay
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jul 2013, 8:09 pm

I haven't settled on what I believe about the spirit-world, but many people in my family are highly intuitive because of our sensory sensitivities. I guess you could interpret that how you want. I'm really sorry your uncle is acting that way. In my experience it is very difficult to deal with people once they've decided you are under demonic influence. That kind of binary thinking can be very hard to break out of because evidence contrary to their beliefs will automatically be categorized as evil. For myself, I found that being around those attitudes was very unhealthy for me as I already have a tendency to view things in black and white terms, and feeling that I had to defend myself from accusations of demonic possession increased that tendency. The best thing for me was dropping those relationships, but you know the details of your situation best. Some people in my life, including my adoptive parents have been able to grow beyond their dogmatic beliefs, so it is possible. However, it took a lot of work and commitment on both sides. I had to be very blunt that they were not going to change me and I am very grateful for my birth family's support through that. Then again there were some people who when told that I was not interested in converting back to Christianity went so far as to say blatantly genocidal things to my face. I hope things work out a little better for you.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 7:15 am

We are wired differently than others. I think that could make us prone to sense things others tune out.

I've had a few odd experiences, but nothing too extreme except for the time I'm certain I saw an entity in the house where I grew up when I was a child.

Tilkor
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jul 2013, 1:49 pm

Drat... Was hoping to hear something about how to deal with my uncle... Sadly, he's the most, umm, intelligent (???) Uncle I've got, and wanted to include him in this idea...

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 2:47 pm

There is no reason to believe aspies would be more sensitive to the spirit world (assuming there is such a thing) than NTs. As for question 2, I'd agree that the best (and possibly only) thing you can do is not talk to your uncle about this any more.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 2:52 pm

There is no reason to believe in a "spirit world" in the first place; even less to believe that people with ASDs are any more sensitive to it than people without ASDs.

Otherwise, I also agree that the OP should never discuss this subject with the uncle.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jul 2013, 10:55 pm

I, myself, am a spiritually- sensitive Aspie- so yes! :-)

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 9:30 am

Fnord wrote:
There is no reason to believe in a "spirit world" in the first place; even less to believe that people with ASDs are any more sensitive to it than people without ASDs.

Otherwise, I also agree that the OP should never discuss this subject with the uncle.

Agreed on both points.

Expanding on them slightly and directly answering Tikor's questions:

Quote:
1. Can Aspies be sensitive towards the spirit world?

Since the spirit world is a human concept and autistics are human, the answer is that these concepts can exist in Aspie brains.
Some Aspies may rely on logic more than most NTs and this would tend to reduce belief in a spirit world as anything other than a psychological phenomenon and a supporting fabricated belief system.

Quote:
2. Is there a way of dealing with my Uncle without insulting his belief system?

Be kind and polite and don't engage in discussions about spirituality or religion with him. If he raises the subject be polite and respectful and keep your own views to yourself.

I find Carl Sagan's book "The Demon Haunted World" a very helpful collection of thoughts around these topics.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 10:24 am

I deal with sprits all the time. They are not demonic at all.

I'd suggest either buying you uncle a book on demonology so he can see the differences, or just not tell him cause it's none of his business.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 10:47 am

Yes, Aspies tend to be more sensitive to the spirit world. This is connected to the sensory profile.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 11:04 am

I have no real opinion and I am not superstitious by nature. Then, we cannot rule out what is not obvious either. Um, about your question: Olga Bogdashina is distinguished and well-regarded author/scientist who writes about autism (her son is 'classically' autistic). One publication is the book, Autism and the Edges of the Known World. <just a moment, be right back, gonna look something up for you>

Oh, I'm a huge fan of Fringe and the X-Files, if that count (OK, probably not, just saying). I'm a scientist and have never personally witnessed anything paranormal.

'K, as promised, the Lab Pet is back. And here it is:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR7nGIR3ycE[/youtube]