Are you right or left brain dominant?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ibookfan92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2013, 12:30 am

Well... here's what I know. I can (and do) count things to a certain limit, and like simple algebra. But I hate geometry, and nearly failed it in high school. So, if there is much left-brained-ness there in me, I don't think I have much of it. I personally think I'm right-brained, because while I can code to an extent, I focus more on the design of it over anything else when I do it, love looking at lots of articles, videos, and other random things about user interfaces and design, and otherwise in the real world, look at lights (their luminosity and colors), words, fonts themselves, spacing, how well so many objects fit, etc. When I've walked into a store because I've had to, I've made comments about how well the lobby was designed, etc. Others have told me I was so weird for it... but I thought the design was beautiful. In other words... everything I'm constantly thinking of is design, which is the right side. So, if that video is mentioning the right, and I'm "right", I'd honestly believe it.

CAL_1138
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 2:33 am

It's weird though because I am someone who is very strongly right brain dominant but I do spend a lot of my time doing left brain things as well... I wonder if because we have autism spectrum issues that we are drawn to more left brain stuff even if we are right brain dominant?

For example our Aspergers could prevent us from doing things that are more social like team sports or clubs so we focus on things like reading and writing etc...

Last edited by CAL_1138 on 20 Jul 2013, 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 4:23 am

I'm left brain dominant, however I do have a (somewhat repressed) creative side, and I can be very compulsive and emotional from time to time.

I wonder if left/right dominance is more variable in Aspies, according to mood, circumstances etc.? Perhaps that's one of the things that makes us hard to understand?

CAL_1138
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 5:31 am

sociable_hermit wrote:
I'm left brain dominant, however I do have a (somewhat repressed) creative side, and I can be very compulsive and emotional from time to time.

I wonder if left/right dominance is more variable in Aspies, according to mood, circumstances etc.? Perhaps that's one of the things that makes us hard to understand?

interesting way of looking at it!

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jul 2013, 5:55 am

Never took any tests to figure out but I'm 100% sure I'm left brain dominant. Most people are left brain dominant.

You are very likely neurotypical
INTJ

CAL_1138
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 6:05 am

Sheerboredom wrote:
Never took any tests to figure out but I'm 100% sure I'm left brain dominant. Most people are left brain dominant.

This is in line with an idea that I had that people with asperger's syndrome are just extreme versions of normal people. Like it takes your normal tendencies that everyone has and amplifies them - it's like the X-games for human brains. haha

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 11:02 am

I seem to be both too, - with a little tilt to the left. I recognize that.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 11:45 am

According to the free online tests I am more right brain dominant but in some areas I am left dominant.

slushy9
Raven
Raven

20 Jul 2013, 12:29 pm

left brain

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 3:36 pm

CAL_1138 wrote:
sociable_hermit wrote:

interesting way of looking at it!

Me too. That is an interesting viewpoint--I tend to "flip-flop" back and forth too, and my scores on these tests are always very close together--left is always slightly more than right, but by how much does depend on how I'm feeling.

"Creative" stuff I've done at various times in my life:

-writing fiction and/or "blog-like" essays
-drawing (as long as it wasn't being graded :x )
-music (I own a recorder and a wooden flute--I really miss both, but have had difficulty resuming either one)
-making jewelry (for my own use--don't think any of it would be sellable)

I wonder: if I start any of this stuff again, will my scores on these tests change? :chin:

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 8:16 pm

Left-brained. Therapist found that out a long time ago and ruled at autism for a short while.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 8:40 pm

Interesting. On two out of three tests I came close to balanced, slightly more left. On the third, wholly left. Felt to me like I was answering the same questions the same way.