Should my son be assessed for Asperger's/autism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

motley
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2013, 7:25 am

I have taken all the available tests online and most suggest he could be on the spectrum, but I am still feeling uncertain. My family members say "no, definitively not" while some of my friends believe it could be helpful to have a definite answer. A few points to make in this regard:

- He is eight years old this summer. He was previously diagnosed with specified language disorder (his language processing is poor still, but he can communicate on par with his peers after wonderful support from his infant school.)
- He has a lack of body language and facial expressions, his voice is monotone, but he can get very excited (and out of hand) in company.
- He hardly ever throws tantrums of any kind and only has for short periods when growing up. He deals with changes in routine well, as far as I can judge, but he is not very expressive about his concerns.
- He tends to hold monologues when speaking and has no need for my input, not even non-verbal encouragement.
- He is obsessive about video games.
- His motor skills are poor.
- He fidgets constantly.
- He is a wonderfully sweet and thoughtful boy most of the time, but somewhat analytic about his peers. Examples: "I wish to invite X to my birthday, since X started class after Christmas and may not have been to many parties. I also with to invite Y and Z, as they are best friends and will enjoy coming together." "I do not understand why my two friends, J and K cannot be good friends as well. It would be much easier for everyone."

That is all I can think of for now. Please do share any thoughts you have. I will reply and elaborate if necessary.

HopefulFlower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jul 2013, 7:52 am

It doesn't sound like aspergers. Which by the way is now technically called autism spectrum disorder-which lumps a bunch of other autistic disorders in. But I use aspergers (My original diagnosis) as like a subtype. I think that will never die. Anyway your son has language development problems? That is an autism thing rather than an aspergers/autism spectrum disorder thing. And the more I read the more this sounded like he's either normal or maybe it's something else? But I'm no professional if it worries you get it checked out that'll give you a better answer. :)

HopefulFlower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jul 2013, 7:59 am

Actually he may have autism spectrum disorder-just not the original grouping aspergers. There were other autistic spectrum disorders put under this diagnosis. Again if it worries you then I think you should seek out a better answer :)

motley
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2013, 8:12 am

Thank you for both of your replies. I wrote Asperger's/autism in the topic, as I know Asperger's is being phased out.

I will also add that his IQ is above normal, estimated around 130, but due to language processing issues he is struggling academically (not receiving enough support with his learning).

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jul 2013, 9:53 am

I think it would probably be helpful to have a definitive answer.

Four possible outcomes (ranked roughly from best to worst):
1) He doesn't have autism, you don't go for diagnosis. No time wasted.
2) He does have autism, you go for a diagnosis, you have some answers, doors open, support can be provided, and he has a signpost to help him as he grows up.
3) He doesn't have autism, you go for a diagnosis, and you waste several hours (and possibly a reasonably large sum of money)
4) He has autism, you don't go for a diagnosis, he doesn't get the support he needs, and school/life is more difficult for him than it needs to be.

You can quibble about the order about 2+3, but I think 4 is significantly worse than 2, and 3 is not much worse than 1 (depending on how much you have to pay, of course). So to me, it logically makes sense to go for diagnosis.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 10:03 am

If he's symptomatic enough that it's obvious he isn't "normal" (sorry if it offends but it's the easiest way to express my thought), there's nothing to lose by seeking a formal diagnosis. That his condition is obvious means the Dx will do more to help than hurt in the future.

If he's seen as "normal" most all the time, a formal Dx becomes a more complex question of value.

motley
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2013, 11:14 am

The_Walrus wrote:
I think it would probably be helpful to have a definitive answer.

Four possible outcomes (ranked roughly from best to worst):
1) He doesn't have autism, you don't go for diagnosis. No time wasted.
2) He does have autism, you go for a diagnosis, you have some answers, doors open, support can be provided, and he has a signpost to help him as he grows up.
3) He doesn't have autism, you go for a diagnosis, and you waste several hours (and possibly a reasonably large sum of money)
4) He has autism, you don't go for a diagnosis, he doesn't get the support he needs, and school/life is more difficult for him than it needs to be.

You can quibble about the order about 2+3, but I think 4 is significantly worse than 2, and 3 is not much worse than 1 (depending on how much you have to pay, of course). So to me, it logically makes sense to go for diagnosis.

You make a very good point. Thank you for breaking it down for me in this manner. We live in the UK and get medical care for free through the NHS.

zer0netgain wrote:
If he's symptomatic enough that it's obvious he isn't "normal" (sorry if it offends but it's the easiest way to express my thought), there's nothing to lose by seeking a formal diagnosis. That his condition is obvious means the Dx will do more to help than hurt in the future.

If he's seen as "normal" most all the time, a formal Dx becomes a more complex question of value.

I believe he is, at the moment, seen as normal by most. Though referred to as immature by teachers. However, I am likely a poor judge, as I am currently being assessed for autism spectrum disorder myself. I naturally worry as well how he will do with friendships and friends later on.