Could you describe your religious beliefs?

Page 4 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

xarrid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jul 2013, 9:42 am

I was raised German Catholic, however when I got to high school and met others of different faiths I started questioning what I was told as a child. By the time I was 18 I had become an athiest.

As there are many different people in this world, I think that reglious beliefs/views would carry over to our segment as well.

JonAZ
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jul 2013, 6:00 pm

Thank you for your replies. I am surprised by the depth of the carefully constructed answers to my questions. I have read every reply at least twice. I plant to reread all the answers at least two more times. You have gave me a great deal of food for thought.

www.manyperceptions.org

My son has autism.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 6:13 pm

I'm a Robinist. I'm an adherent of the religion of Robinism. We believe in all things Robin including the promotion and preservation of Robin.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 9:10 pm

I went to a school that taught Christian religion as a kid. If I learned anything it's that if I'm proud of anything I do or say anything positive about myself I will automatically be sent to hell to writhe in agony for all eternity. :roll:

Lezoah

24 Jul 2013, 9:19 pm

Both of my parents are atheists, so I grew up without any real religious influence. They apparently attended a Unitarian Universalist church while my mom was pregnant for me, but they stopped going before I was born. My dad's third wife, who he married when I was 7, was a Neo-Pagan (basically to spite her traditionally Southern Baptist family). I grew up pretty exclusively around strong anti-theistic sentiments that actually pushed me into agnosticism because of how vitriolic my family was toward religion. Nowadays, I'm pretty much apathetic about the whole matter. I don't give religion of any type much thought, but I'm always happy to talk about philosophical/theological ideas with people so long as they're willing to respect me. One of my close friends in high school was actually an Evangelical Christian.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2013, 10:22 pm

I wasn't raised religious, called myself an atheist for a while. I had to many life coincidences to call luck. I now call myself spiritual, faithful to God, but not to any religion. I believe that religion was man made. I also believe in what's called intelligent evolution. Basically, change the definition of a day in Genesis to be much greater than 24 hours, and suddenly creationism and evolution start looking similar. Any way, that's my two cents.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 11:21 pm

I was raised with no religious instruction and am a hard-core atheist; I find the idea of an invisible man floating in the sky who points his finger at things and magically makes things happen to be preposterous, not to mention the incredible number of inconsistencies in his character; he's an all-loving and all-tolerant God who loves us unconditionally but sends us to hell or some other unpleasant eternal afterlife if we've done something wrong. Perhaps not so unconditional after all. Anyway, I have no proof, but I suspect the idea of faith is one of the reasons many aspies find the idea of religion hard to acknowledge; for the most part we prefer solid facts with irrefutable evidence to support them; religion is based entirely on faith and has no strict right or wrong answers. I for one am not comfortable with ambiguity, and I suspect many other aspies aren't either.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 12:36 am

Fnord wrote:
My beliefs are theistic, but I am opposed to religion.

Sure, go ahead and believe (or not) in whatever god(s) you choose (or not).

Stop trying to convince me that I'm a bad person who is going to Hell just because I don't follow your subjective interpretations of whatever mythologies you consider "Holy".

Well blow me down! you are the last person I expected to be religious Fnord :o
I'm curious how a sceptic like yourself believes in a big hairy old man who on a whim decided to create the earth in 7 days?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 9:40 am

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
My beliefs are theistic, but I am opposed to religion. Sure, go ahead and believe (or not) in whatever god(s) you choose (or not). Stop trying to convince me that I'm a bad person who is going to Hell just because I don't follow your subjective interpretations of whatever mythologies you consider "Holy".

I am NOT religious.
cyberdad wrote:
I'm curious how a sceptic like yourself believes in a big hairy old man who on a whim decided to create the earth in 7 days?

I'm curious why my theistic beliefs should matter to anyone else.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

25 Jul 2013, 9:43 am

I was raised Christian, but now I am agnostic, in other words, religiously apathetic.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

xarrid

25 Jul 2013, 9:46 am

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
My beliefs are theistic, but I am opposed to religion.

Sure, go ahead and believe (or not) in whatever god(s) you choose (or not).

Stop trying to convince me that I'm a bad person who is going to Hell just because I don't follow your subjective interpretations of whatever mythologies you consider "Holy".

uh... being theistic is not being religious it just means you have a belief in a deity nothing more. Being religious means you follow the entire culture around a specific deity. So believing in a deity doesn't mean he has to being in the Christian view of God.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 7:46 pm

Strictly agnostic, but open to possibilities.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 1:09 am

Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
My beliefs are theistic, but I am opposed to religion. Sure, go ahead and believe (or not) in whatever god(s) you choose (or not). Stop trying to convince me that I'm a bad person who is going to Hell just because I don't follow your subjective interpretations of whatever mythologies you consider "Holy".

I am NOT religious.
cyberdad wrote:

Aologies, I mean't belief in a deity. I don't normally intrude on people's beliefs but I was struck how a self declared skeptic can believe in a deity?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 7:47 am

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I am NOT religious.
cyberdad wrote:

Aologies, I mean't belief in a deity. I don't normally intrude on people's beliefs but I was struck how a self declared skeptic can believe in a deity?

You don't mean "belief in a deity", yet you question someone else's "belief in a deity" ... ?

1. You are making no sense.
2. My story is a long story.
3. You obviously wouldn't understand.
4. Forget about it.

:roll: Asked. Answered. Move on.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 1:43 pm

JonAZ wrote:
I am getting some mixed messages on the issue of religious beliefs. On the one hand, deeply spiritual people frequently seem to demonstrate deep autistic perception. We read the mythology of these spiritually endowed people who go off into the desert for weeks on end. This seems to be at the very heart of the experience of deep autistic perception. Paradoxically, persons with autism seem far more likely to be atheistic.

Please tell me about your religious beliefs. In addition, please tell me if anything that I stated above is in error.

tat tvam asi

neti neti

Non-dualism