Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2013, 4:47 pm

My view -
someone who acts to improve things whether they will be recognised for it or not.
Who would automatically help someone who is struggling, or offer a kind word,
or give their time to a voluntary cause without expectation of reward in this world or a next.

0bey1sh1n0b1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2013, 5:02 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
0bey1sh1n0b1 wrote:

Let me pick your mind for a second and ask if men have an innate sense of reason then why can't a sociopath or psychopath be reasoned with? Does that not make them men?

Here's what Marcus says about difficult. irrational people:

Quote:
“Begin each day by telling yourself: Today I shall be meeting with interference, ingratitude, insolence, disloyalty, ill-will, and selfishness – all of them due to the offenders’ ignorance of what is good or evil. But for my part I have long perceived the nature of good and its nobility, the nature of evil and its meanness, and also the nature of the culprit himself, who is my brother (not in the physical sense, but as a fellow creature similarly endowed with reason and a share of the divine); therefore none of those things can injure me, for nobody can implicate me in what is degrading. Neither can I be angry with my brother or fall foul of him; for he and I were born to work together, like a man’s two hands, feet or eyelids, or the upper and lower rows of his teeth. To obstruct each other is against Nature’s law – and what is irritation or aversion but a form of obstruction.”

I think he would claim that men beyond reason must be misguided, ignorant, and/or living contrary to the nature of man.

In a way, that does actually make them closer to animals than men.

Cold. That does make one reflect on society and question the fact that if we do have the innate sense of reason then why in todays time do we as man kind insist on rejecting reason. Does man kind care so much about earthly matter that we would choose to live like animals just to live in the fallacies of happiness? Has man kind today become that selfish?

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 5:14 pm

^^^

Quote:
All men are made one for another: either then teach them better or bear with them.