Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 3:27 pm

http://list25.com/25-most-endangered-la ... gn=popular

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 5:35 pm

Many are right here in the USA.

The Kansa tribe are the people that the state of Kansas is named after.

In fact this video is only the second time I have ever heard of them. The other time is when I looked up the orgin of state names. I kept hearing about how folks in Kansas (where my dad came from) call the Arkansas river the "AR Kansas" river, while folks from nieghboring Arkansas call it the "arkansaw river" (in honor of their own state).

It occurred to me to wonder if "Kansas" and "AR- kansas" are related words.

Turns out they are not related at all. Both names are of american indian origin, but Kansas was named after the Kansa tribe, and Arkansas derives from some unrelated word in some other Indian tribal language.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 23 Jul 2013, 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 7:56 pm

there needs to be a UN-sponsored language repository for conservation of earthly languages. :idea: speaking of endangered tongues, proto-nostratic [the mother human tongue] needs lots more research.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 6:03 am

The more languages that are preserved (even if its only in text, or of footage of people speaking on DVD) the more clues we get to the origins of all human language.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 8:50 am

Aragonese is an endangered language as well.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 4:25 pm

persian85033 wrote:
Aragonese is an endangered language as well.

The Romance language spoken in the eastern slice of Spain that was once the separate kingdom of Aragon is usually called "Catalan".

Ive never heard it acually referred to as "Aragonese" before (if we are talking about the same thing). And I didnt know it was dying out.

I once stumbled upon an English-Catalan dictionary in a travel store. When I flipped through it I noticed how little it resembled Spanish, and how much it resembled French.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 5:11 pm

I've heard of Catalan, too. I think they're seperate languages. Catalan is spoken in Aragon, too. There are different dialects of Aragonese. The different languages of Spain are pretty neat. Spain is a country is a country with awesome history.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 5:31 pm

persian85033 wrote:
I've heard of Catalan, too. I think they're seperate languages. Catalan is spoken in Aragon, too. There are different dialects of Aragonese. The different languages of Spain are pretty neat. Spain is a country is a country with awesome history.

yes spain does have a fascinating history. And has several languages.

The Basque maintain a language thats unrelated to Spanish, to any of the Romance languages, to any of the Indoeuropean languages, or to ANY other language on earth! And spain has other romance languages seperate from Spanish as well- like Galecian ( in the northwest corner where the kingdom of Leon used to be) which is kinda intermediate between spanish and portugese. A Galecian rock band recorded a spoof of "Sweet Home Alabama" in Galecian with lyrics that translate as "Sweet Home Galecia, where the skies are usually Gray." I guess not all of Spain is 'sunny'.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 7:30 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I guess not all of Spain is 'sunny'.

despite what is sung in the "my fair lady" lyric "the rain in spain," the rain in spain is mainly in the mountains, the plains are hot and dry, in general.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 12:54 pm

Ya mean "the rain in Spain falls mainly AWAY from the plain"?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 3:23 pm

that is my thrust, yes.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 7:01 pm

No mention of Prussian, though I see Wikipedia lists it as an extinct language whilst at the same time acknowledging the attempts to revive it:- LINK

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

26 Jul 2013, 6:32 am

Sad to hear about this happening.

I'm interested in the Lushootseed language (xWhul'shut'sid, as it's more accurately pronounced) of the Coast Salish tribes. Thankfully this one isn't quite that far gone, and has a fair number of groups trying to revive it round the Puget Sound area. Here's one of them.
http://www.tulaliplushootseed.com/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 9:58 am

auntblabby wrote:
that is my thrust, yes.

By Jove I think I've GOT it!

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 10:04 am

A friend of my first BF was doing his honours in Arcadian/Tsakonian Greek.

...The point?