Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Zaiden
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jul 2013, 11:25 pm

So I work for a little 15 employee company owned by 3 brothers. Each of them bigoted in awful ways. They are homophobic, racist, transphobic... basically anyone who is not white christian cis straight NT male who votes straight ticket republican. I am a queer trans girl who transitioned on the job so there is stress and disrespect there. Recently one of the boss's sons started working there and is making a fuss about how I go about my job. Now I am a graphic designer and CAD programmer for a print shop, he just runs the press. The plant is loud so I wear headphones and play music to drown it all out. I have my stim toys and I work in a very particular way etc. Now because of his complaining the bosses are getting on to my case and telling me to leave my "music and toys" at home and start working in the way the guy before me did(who btw I replaced 10 years ago). Part of me thinks that if I come out and tell them that I have aspergers and explain how that affects how I work that they might lighten up on me but they could also become even more awful. I have thought about finding a new job but the market around here is awful and I have no idea how to even start job hunting so I feel stuck.

Any advice?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 11:52 pm

Hi Zaiden. I'm in the same boat as you so all I could give you is my condolences. I work in an aspie unfriendly job. I'm a nurse and the constant caterwauling and sensory stimuli drives me crazy. I put up with it because I'm making money to pay the rent. Isn't that a horrible existence to have? I deeply sympathize with you. If it helps, know that you're not the only one working at a torturous job.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 12:09 am

Hi guys,

I had to come out yesterday. Someone was going to file a grievance against me for being rude and curt. I was really upset, because I like my job. I did it for self preservation. But I am lucky. My managers were positive and told me I make the place more diverse.