Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 12:17 pm

You could continue having more dates with these "more attractive" women as you call them, and get to know them better emotionally, so you can see if they seem like a better fit as you get to know them. Getting to know someone isn't as straightforward as just a few dates and what not, instead it tends to take a lot of time. You can also have more dates with the less attractive women, who you connect with initially and see what happens too. You've dated many women so far it seems, and you're still single, so take your chances now and get to know the women that catch your eye and mind the most out of all of them, since that's what you prefer, having both a physical and emotional attraction to a mate.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 4:52 pm

Jasper1 wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
Ugh, this thread is getting kind of depressing. I can't wait to lose more weight so I can get rid of this particular kind of judgement about my sexual worth.

Actually there are guys that appreciate women that are not skinny. Ever heard or seen the term BBW? Big Beautiful Women

Yeah I know, but I don't want to limit my market. Plus, Type 2 diabetes runs in my family, so it's not just about looks.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 4:58 pm

Dantac wrote:
Stargazer43 wrote:
I hope that this post doesn't come out the wrong way and I hope it isn't offensive, but basically I am wondering: is it a good idea to forgo physical attractiveness in a relationship for a stronger emotional connection?

The main reason I'm asking is because like many here, I don't have much relationship experience at all. I've been dating quite a few people over the past year, but one thing I've noticed is that for the most part, the less attracted I am to my date physically, the stronger of an emotional connection we seem to have. It's mostly due to weight, with 70% of people overweight nowadays it's harder than you'd think to find someone who isn't! Not to mention, all of the "more attractive" women I've been out with so far have seemed to be really flaky and honestly not that interesting in comparison. I just can't decide if I'm being superficial by wanting someone that I'm attracted to both emotionally and physically, or if I should compromise one for the other.

I would say you can compromise within certain parameters. For example, I would not enter a relationship with someone who I am not physically attracted to at all (it doesn't have to be weight related either) just because I get along superbly with her. She would be a good friend not a girlfriend.

The way I see it, if you try to make it into a relationship you will be hurting her.. because the physical attraction factor will in the long run come back and bite you when she wants things to get more serious. As in, would you be willing to spend the rest of your life with someone that doesn't 'spark' with you?

So a compromise can be made. If you find a girl...say, minimally attractive physically (you know what I mean... 'shes cute but not the cute that gets me going' type) and you connect very well then yeah, give it a go. Strong emotional bond with a small amount of physical attractiveness can work. For both of you.

I find it's not just about looks and personality though. I have a FWB who is attracted to me physically and who I very strongly connect with intellectually and emotionally, but our life goals are totally different. He wants marriage and kids and I don't, so we just go for meals/drinks, have long conversations and fool around.

I mean, I am attracted to overweight people quite a lot myself, sometimes (it depends on the person) and that was also the case when I was slim (I used to have a BMI of around 21.5 and I still fancied overweight people.)

Jasper1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jul 2013, 5:16 pm

I see where you are coming from. I generally put life goals under personality because they are a reflection of one's attitude and all that.

500Chocolatepuppies
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jul 2013, 12:49 am

A quite possible reason as to why the 'more attractive' women are flaky is that they can choose who they want and have a high success rate at getting dates.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 12:56 am

I'm perfectly fine with women that are a bit overweight; I actually find them very appealing.

And by the way, most people have referred to me as "skin and bones"; so ya....