Finding someone while trans AND autistic: am I delusional?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

diablo77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2013, 11:30 am

Is it unrealistic, as someone who is FTM (pre-op only because I can't afford surgery) and on the spectrum and who REALLY wants to get married and build a life with someone, to think that's possible for me? I've had plenty of girlfriends so I know women can be attracted to me, and I think (and so do a lot of people I know) that I'm both smart and cute so I do have something to offer, but finding long term commitment is a lot harder, and I don't even just want a long term girlfriend, I want to be married. I guess I just want someone to tell me they don't think there is no one in the world who would marry me.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 11:48 am

Every so often I see a news program where trans folk find each other and even get married. To wit:
http://www.towleroad.com/2013/07/trans- ... ether.html

It is then absolutely possible to find love in this crazy, mixed up world. Just keep your hopes up.

Lezoah
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jul 2013, 1:03 pm

diablo77 wrote:
Is it unrealistic, as someone who is FTM (pre-op only because I can't afford surgery) and on the spectrum and who REALLY wants to get married and build a life with someone, to think that's possible for me? I've had plenty of girlfriends so I know women can be attracted to me, and I think (and so do a lot of people I know) that I'm both smart and cute so I do have something to offer, but finding long term commitment is a lot harder, and I don't even just want a long term girlfriend, I want to be married. I guess I just want someone to tell me they don't think there is no one in the world who would marry me.

You might have a harder time of things, but I certainly don't think it's impossible for you to find long term commitment by any stretch of the imagination. Your selection pool is definitely smaller, but I think sometimes we forget just how many people are in the world when we can only see our isolated corner of it.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 8:18 am

diablo77 wrote:

As someone who is MTF, I run into this myself. With my current circle of friends and associates, there is no one who is available to have a relationship with other than myself. The ones who are technically available are too old or too young for me to identify with. My AS doesn't make it any easier. I've tried unsuccessfully on dating websites to find someone and had no luck. I've tried to get friends to hook me up and had no success.

My counselor wants me to get out and do things to see if I can find a relationship, and it usually goes, how much more do I need to do beyond what I'm already doing. Give me five extra hours in the day and maybe I'll get lucky with putting myself places to get in contact with others, but I doubt it because where would I go that I don't already. To the bar? I've basically sworn off alcohol after what happened a month ago. Me and alcohol don't mix well or for good. Find a new social group for a hobby? None of my hobbies require social interaction and actually checking locally there aren't any groups that deal with what I like to do without costing money. Pick up a new hobby or activity? Like what? I don't have time or space as it is for what I do now as it is, and you want me to fit what into my schedule.

My Trans support group consists of people 10 years younger than me or 15-30 years older than me. I am the only one my age in the group. The only other trans support group is the same way. My gaming group is not better. All are 5-15 years younger than I am and those who fit the bill of what I'm attracted to aren't interested in me or are taken. I refuse to date anyone at work because I have never seen it end well, but even if I did, I am the only single person in my age who is available, with the rest being either much older than I am.

After being on HRT for 2+ years, the sexual attraction I have has returned after tanking for most of the length I've been on HRT and it's changed, and I have no clue what to do about it because I really didn't know what to do about it before.

It's frustrating. I just want someone to love me despite my quirks and to love them in return, but who? I'm tired of being by myself and so alone.

Sorry if this is depressing, but I just had to vent, and I feel so frustrated with this aspect of my life and I feel for you Diablo77. I hope you find success in your pursuit of a lasting relationship with another.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2013, 1:07 am

diablo77 wrote:
Is it unrealistic, as someone who is FTM (pre-op only because I can't afford surgery) and on the spectrum and who REALLY wants to get married and build a life with someone, to think that's possible for me? I've had plenty of girlfriends.

I think it's just a coincidence. Finding the right person to marry is hard for many people - and a lot of them just end up settling because they're afraid to be alone .. so they marry some person they don't really love. So, is it going to be harder for you because you're Trans and in the spectrum? Possibly. If you're having success with girls, then be patient. It'll happen for you.

kaedatiger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Aug 2013, 5:29 am

It probably is a little harder to find someone being both trans and aspie, especially if you have the decency to be picky as well. But that doesn't mean hope is lost. I've been to a lovely weekend vacation wedding between two transmen, and one of them has a kid and is in and out of mental care facilities when the stress gets to be too much for him. It's not a perfect happily ever after, and from what I've heard they still fight (they moved across the country so I don't really know much), but the fact that they've been together this long and made the commitment should indicate that you also have a chance at a loving marital commitment. Just don't rush it.