Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

25 Jul 2013, 7:27 pm

We all seem to have different typing skills. So, with that said, let's discuss that here.
----
From the time I was about 6 or 7, I could type very fast. I even typed this sentence with my eyes closed and fast!

So, yeah, I am a fast typer, I could be the envy of anybody's workplace! :)

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 7:31 pm

Aughh. I don't know how many times in my various careers that typing speed has come up. I'm rubbish at it, even though I do it every day. As a side note, if you watch the documentary on the making of The Shining, you'll see Kubrick typing up pages of the script, and he was rubbish at it too.

Lezoah
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jul 2013, 7:32 pm

I've never been able to type with all ten fingers, although I've made do with what I can. I'm not a slow typist by any means.

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2013, 7:32 pm

I've gotten several comments on my speed over the years from classmates, teachers, or people in coffee shops. If only I'd spent as much time on my handwriting...

Lezoah

25 Jul 2013, 7:34 pm

Cilantro wrote:
I've gotten several comments on my speed over the years from classmates, professors, or people in coffee shops. If only I'd spent as much time on my handwriting...

Now there's a funny thing. I've never been able to type as effectively as I could, but I get a lot of compliments on my penmanship. One of my teachers in 7th grade actually pulled me aside after class once just to gush about my cursive.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 7:39 pm

I'm a two-finger typist. I only use my left and right index fingers. It's not so bad, though. Typing like that I've managed to create one novel, five novellas, about forty short stories, my blog site, and lots of poems.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 7:56 pm

I can get very dyslexic when I type and sometimes I skip words. I think them but I might skip writing them. For example, I would write the last sentence like, "I thnik them but I writing tehm." Usually I don't have the skipped words and dyslexic spellings in the same sentence but occasionally I do but mostly it's one or the other. I will have both in one paragraph or email though.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 8:38 pm

I took a typing class in ninth grade and have been improving ever since. I can currently type upwards of 70 words a minute with my eyes closed.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 8:49 pm

I didn't take typing in high school but I did have a job while working at the hospital in a doctors office where I had to type letters occasionally. I couldn't really type well although I knew how and the office was only me and the doctor and her sister who was the office manager so it was very laid back and the sister told me to just take my time and watch my hands and I'd learn where the letters were, because I was a two finger typist when I started too. Over the time I was there I was eventually able to type with all ten fingers but I had to watch my hands the whole time. I thought I was doing real good. Then, anyway.

Then we got our first computer. Again, slow typing but using ten fingers and watching them the whole time. I got a little better as the weeks wore on.

Then I discovered AOL chat rooms and got somewhat addicted. Within a month I was typing without looking at my hands, only at the screen. I can type almost as fast as I can talk now, because of all the practice trying to get my wordy thoughts onto a scrolling screen. I don't go to chats anymore, but do chat on FB, and type here on the forum. I'm really pretty fast with a keyboard. The only problem is, I have to move it and put it in my lap to type well now, or if it's a laptop I have to sit it in my lap. I type much slower and the angle feels wrong if I leave it on a table or desk.

My husband has learned to type a little better too due to chats on the side of football games he's watching and trying to type his comments into that scrolling window.

One thing I've noticed though is that every kid I've met can type, even the grammar school ones. When I was young you had to take a class to learn to touch type. I think the computer industry has pretty much put all typing teachers out of work.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 8:56 pm

I grew up with the clumsiness gene, IOW the ink is wore off on my backspace key.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 9:16 pm

Although, I am a computer professional, my typing is not my strongest points. I am a often a single handed dominated typer, left handed typist, though I hand wright with my right.

Type at a much slower pace than my NT counterparts at my same skill level. I have to look at the keyboard when typing. Accuracy of typing is often poor and often hit the wrong key near by, this compounds the issues with Dyslexia where I sometimes type in the wrong order of letters where I must rely on spell check to catch the errors and often have considerable spelling and grammar problems.

I can present a typed document extremely well in a professional manner, but a proof reader I am not. :wink:

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2013, 4:39 am

I'm a real fast typer using two fingers. People often come stare at me when I'm really flying on the keyboard. They want to know how I know where the keys are because they can't believe I hit the right keys with only two fingers at that speed. The moment they say someting though I become conscious of it and start making mistakes.

savvyidentity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2013, 4:49 am

I touch type and can type really fast when I want to. Especially with my PC as I have a really good mechanical keyboard that is comfy and you can always tell when you've pressed the key. Laptop keyboards are really horrible. I once managed to get up to 100wpm on a really awful keyboard so I reckon I could get 110-120 if I want on my good one (which is new) but I haven't tried. I do look at the screen when I type, but yeah I can close my eyes to do it if I want. I knew someone who seemed to type long sentences and get responses back in a split second reaction (and faster than me even) - now that's impressive :P

Kafke
Raven
Raven

26 Jul 2013, 4:50 am

I grew up with computers and can type well. ~100wpm is my fastest speed. It's not as fast as some people, but definitely above the average.

You are very likely an Aspie

HopefulFlower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2013, 5:02 am

I had trouble learning. In elementary school they had a class that taught us how to type properly and I didn't totally have it down till a year later. I was awkward typing the whole time. Everyone else had it down. I'm fast now but I often have grammar issues or skip words when I type. I know those things I just kinda check out a little when I type-I'm trying to do better.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

11 Aug 2013, 12:52 am

However, I haven't broken too many keyboards because of my fast typing, I will say that!

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."