Page 5 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 4:04 pm

It's hard to say really because what I might call a major accomplishment other people might see as nothing. It's like if I manage to sit and read one of those great big long threads, I call that an accomplishment.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 4:29 pm

Getting a job, 3 pay raises in less than four months, a promotion and another raise before my first year. Unfortunately, since I started university, I have had little time to rest and the commuting (my workplace is across the city and São Paulo is among the largest cities in the world) is making me very tired. My sleeping patterns became completely screwed, which means I sometimes fall asleep at work. Because of it, I have made a few stupid mistakes I would never have done before and I am becoming a joke among my co-workers. In spite of that, I am somehow still making a good enough job to warrant another raise, which will happen in this month's pay, according to my boss. My decreasing performance is making me feel very unhappy, though: I suspect the real reason my superiors like me is because I show enthusiasm when I am not too tired and because I follow rules.

I have also almost finished my first semester at university at the top of my class, which is actually something, considering that I barely did any homework and I do not even bother to open my backpack after I get home. I would have gotten a scholarship, but the university has a substitutive exam system in which you can pay a fee to perform the exams again. A few students tried it and one girl managed to score 1.5 higher than me, which put me in second place. I am considering trying to make an effort this semester in order to get that scholarship, but I am a very unmotivated/lazy person. Anyway, it was unexpectedly satisfying to know that I can do a better job than most even without trying, but I am still fairly pissed because I could have done a better job if I did my homework, instead of spending my weekends trying to find something better to do.

As you can see, my "proudest" accomplishments are nothing more than Pyrrhic victories. I need to do something about that. :?

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 5:28 pm

MathGirl wrote:
Well, I don't know if this compares to anyone here. There's not much extraordinary about me, aside from my "savant skill", which I did not pursue using because I got scared of the whole arts industry. But anyway, here's my biggest accomplishment. This is why I isolate myself and force myself not to do anything but; a lot of VERY hard work went into this.
Warning, major showoff ahead...

This is after 3 years of university, with basically shutting myself in and studying, often for days in a row and only taking food breaks. I'll be going into my 4th year taking 5 courses for the first time in my college career and am not sure how well I'll be able to keep those grades while living with my partner (which means doing some chores) and while trying to get possible lab experiences in order to have academic references for grad school. I am looking for some advice/tips/strategies as to how other students can take a full courseload while holding down a job/living independently. I'm fast-tracking because I would like to get a job that I would be able to support myself with ASAP; I don't want to burden anyone financially after having done the standard 4 years of university (I'll only have my thesis to do next year, anyway, and then I'll be done). I also really, really want to keep a straight-A record, considering that the grad school program I'll be applying to is super-competitive and only takes in 5-7 students each year. I have no clue how other students can take 5 courses and work at the same time (and get amazing grades). If anyone has any strategies, please do PM me, as I have no one to ask about decent advice regarding this matter (my disability counsellors keep telling me to stop comparing myself to others, but that's not helpful because I want to get over whatever limitations are stopping me from being able to do this).

I have always envied your sense of hyperfocus that enables you to get these kinds of grades. I wish I had some advice for you, though I think a lot of your limitations are self-imposed and cause you undue stress as a result. I think that other students in your predicament are able to pace themselves more (so, for instance, they may take 5 courses and afterwards take a year off to work or take their summers off to work instead of doing 5 courses and working all at once). It's important to be realistic with these kinds of situations.

Also we are in the same section of Atypical Development in the coming year. :)

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 6:47 pm

anneurysm wrote:
I have always envied your sense of hyperfocus that enables you to get these kinds of grades. I wish I had some advice for you, though I think a lot of your limitations are self-imposed and cause you undue stress as a result. I think that other students in your predicament are able to pace themselves more (so, for instance, they may take 5 courses and afterwards take a year off to work or take their summers off to work instead of doing 5 courses and working all at once). It's important to be realistic with these kinds of situations.

Also we are in the same section of Atypical Development in the coming year. :)
Thanks, sent you a PM. I hope you'll be able to respond. :D

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

chickensoup
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2013, 7:08 pm

Becoming estranged from my family. Harder than it sounds...

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 7:39 pm

Qualified for and raced in 3 Nationals, ( Cycle Racing)
Held club Junior record for 10 mile Time Trial.

Mastered the very difficult skill of General Salute Present arms with a rather heavy wooden stocked SLR Rifle when I was Admirals Guard in the Royal Navy as an Aircraft Mechanic.

Brought a dying lad back to life a few times with CPR whilst waiting for the Air Ambulance, (though He still died of his injuries in the end).

Built two old English Motorcycles completely out of parts. I have a collection of trophy's for them.

Located and posted in my own MSN group photographs of Fairbridge Children prior to being shipped off to Australia in the 50s, I was proud of this when I learnt 60+ year old men in Australia were brought to tears because they hadn't even realised pictures of themselves as Children existed anywhere in the world.

Would have traded it all though for the accomplishment of Callista, having also suffered an Evil Stepfather.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 10:51 am

Taking responsibility. (Although it is a work in progress)

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

10 Aug 2013, 12:17 am

Another big achievement is when I got my driver's license @ 19 in late 2006. I felt very great. :D

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 12:20 am

learning how to smile at the reflection in the mirror :)

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 1:23 am

auntblabby wrote:
wow :o I was lucky to just get out of high school.

be proud, I didn't even make it through high school :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 1:32 am

Rascal77s wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

but you probably take after bill gates in that you left when you discovered that you already knew what was important. :thumleft:

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 1:42 am

auntblabby wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

but you probably take after bill gates in that you left when you discovered that you already knew what was important. :thumleft:

I wish :lol: I just got plain old kicked out.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 1:47 am

Rascal77s wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I wish :lol: I just got plain old kicked out.

if you don't mind, what did you do to warrant that?

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 3:57 am

auntblabby wrote:
if you don't mind, what did you do to warrant that?

Didn't do the work, skipping school, rude to teachers, smoking,.... On top of that there were rumors about me killing someone so all of the other students were afraid of me, and probably some teachers and other staff. I don't even know how that s**t got started. I'm sure they would have kicked me out sooner if they could have. I just hated school. I felt like I was in a prison in some foreign country. I was locked up with a bunch of people who didn't like me and I didn't care for them much either.

Somberlain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2013, 4:19 am

My conference paper. Hopefully, it will be presented next week in China.

English is not my native language. 1000th edit, here I come.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 2:19 pm

^Congratulations on that.

I have faced one of my worst fears head-on and given birth three times, despite my distaste of the whole pregnancy thing. I taught myself how to knit, crochet and make jewelry.