joining gifted program despite having autism.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

infinidy9
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jul 2013, 11:56 am

I want to join the gifted and talented program at my school but I'm in special education and I have aspergers. Would I be able to join or would I Get turned away. My parents call me a walking encyclopedia cuz I know facts about anything. I also read college textbooks for fun. But I have test and homework anxiety and I'm very disorganized and I lose homework and tests alot. So would I be accepted into the program. Got any advice? Thanks bye.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 12:02 pm

I was in the gifted and accelerated tracks all through high school; in middle school I was in the gifted program but also in special ed for an hour every day. The difference is the people in the class. Otherwise, it's the same material at sometimes a slower pace.

Unless that's just my school sucking.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 2:55 pm

I was in exactly that spot. The programs took me to some pretty awesome facilities (for robotics club & just field trips) and I'd trade glorified study hall any day for seriously learning something. I spent most of my time in high school teaching myself I.T. , as well as quite a lot of the educators' time, but I'm not sorry. Despite all the programs, I was never credited or paid for being de-facto employed when a department needed some workstations or recieved donated computers. LennyTheWicked, it's probably just your school sucking. Don't hold it against anyone but the people eating out of the teachers' pockets.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: