Do you ever feel bad about not being a "genius"?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 4:01 pm

diablo77 wrote:
When I was diagnosed, my mother started buying books for me by people like Temple Grandin and Dawn Prince-Hughes, wanting me to know that it was still possible for me to accomplish great things even though I'm different. Sometimes I do feel inspired, but sometimes I also feel a weird sort of inferiority, because I don't think I'll ever be a PhD scientist or invent anything or anything like that. I may never even have a college degree. I can do several things we were warned I might not be capable of at the time I was diagnosed, like drive a car, hold a job, live independently and form meaningful relationships with other people, even romantic ones. Those feel like accomplishments to me, until I hold myself up the Super Autistics and wonder how it is they can do so much more than I can.

it sounds like might need to work on self acceptance.

am severely autistic and also have severe LD [the UK definition of learning disability,which is americas definition of intelectual disability], am low functioning,under two power of attorneys and have got a lifetime placement in residential care.
however,am perfectly ok/fine/great with what have got in terms of mental capacity AKA inteligence,its an awful measurement to judge people by and define us all on a hierarchy,never let inteligence limit options or interests; or fill with narcisism due to having a big score.
so many people have genious iq reports when they never put that to use in their life,and the high iq culture is nothing to look up to.
people so often develop a victim mentality when they do a online IQ test and wrongly get placed on the intelectual disability spectrum or develop a bigger ego because a website quiz or a pyschologist gave them 'genious',they end up believing what someone tells them instead of trusting themselves.

have never used the labels of mine to define what think of self,have never limited self due to labels.
if am unable to do something that want to do-will try and try and keep trying again for years,and if am unable to do something will keep trying to find ways around 'barriers'.
am intelectualy disabled but probably more positive and at ease with self and life than any person who is genuinely in the genious range.
a problem that comes with having high iq is people have a higher awareness of themselves,society and the environment; and like those of us with intelectual disability they are shunned and bullied because of their label-see, people are never pleased with what they have.

instead of seeing ourselves as having whatever level of iq we shoud be getting to see ourselves with no limits instead,we woud be doing ourselves and society a huge favour.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Jasper1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jul 2013, 4:09 pm

In life I've found that there a lot more people out there who have genius IQ's than I would have thought. They are actually all over the map and are often in lives that are pretty regular. They don't seem to do anything particularly genius, but they do come across as obviously being more intelligent than most people.

JBO
Raven
Raven

26 Jul 2013, 7:36 pm

I was thinking about this in the car earlier today. I've always kind of had the delusion that I was special / a genius / etc. As I was driving today I was thinking about how we're always doing research and working on extending life, trying to figure out immortality, etc. Then I realized that if it was possible to make people immortal or extend their life for an addition 100 years or something, I would not be chosen for this :(

Jasper1 wrote:
In life I've found that there a lot more people out there who have genius IQ's than I would have thought. They are actually all over the map and are often in lives that are pretty regular. They don't seem to do anything particularly genius, but they do come across as obviously being more intelligent than most people.

I saw a poster once that said, "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not - nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not - unrewarded genius is a proverb. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."