Difficulty Processing Your Own Language

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 6:53 pm

Okay, so I know having trouble keeping up with what others are saying and understanding them can sometimes be common, but my problem, and I've only had it for a year or so as far as I can remember, is that I have trouble putting my thoughts into words. It's like my mouth moves faster than my brain, and I know what I want to say, but I'll sometimes reach the middle of a sentence, know what I want to say next, and be unable to come up with the words for it. It's pretty annoying, and I don't know why it seems to be a relatively recent occurrence. Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

ParaSait
Raven
Raven

26 Jul 2013, 6:59 pm

Yes, absolutely.
Aside from a stuttering problem I have, the concepts in my mind are also quite disconnected from language. Sometimes I simply cannot explain things, and if I explain something that isn't very simple, I'll sometimes start to garble my sentences up to a point where I just think "STOP. Now breathe, slowly... and start over from scratch..."
I also sometimes can't find a word that I need and then I'll resort to the English word for it, or say like "you know... that thing that you use to do X"...

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 7:15 pm

Yeah, I have this often when on days that are less functioning. Similarly to being unable to put word down on paper, speech is like the same thing.

Often, Even meeting or greeting people or to express an opinion or whatever the conversation. When speaking, I often either forget the words to say, or that the though gust goes by. It's tough when I could have something great to say, I can't express it in words and often frustrating.

Often mid sentence, speech can just stop to a standstill, or that I need to answer a question. I often noticed speech fluidity of my peers. They often talked much faster, louder, without pause, which made me look like an sensitive nervous shy kid straight through my life.

It's often the thing that has outright prevented me into employment at the interview stage, its not going to happen without the interview stage being skipped completely, despite years of communication training.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

Jasper1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jul 2013, 7:15 pm

I have the same issue. I've always had it too. I do stutter on occasion, especially as my mind draws a blank. Nothing like when I was a child though. I went through a period where I was stuttering quite a lot and I'm glad I grew out of it...well....kind of grew out of it I guess. let's just say it's no where near as bad. lol

I have trouble with explaining a lot of internal things. Sometimes it takes me a long time, in some cases even years, to come up with the wording for what's going on. It's often a lot simpler when I do figure out the wording though.

At the times when I'm trying to explain and I don't have the language, terminology, and often the understanding in place.....it all just seems so ineffable and deep and complex.

Then afterwards when I figure it out, it can usually be communicated in a few sentences.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 7:20 pm

ParaSait wrote:
or say like "you know... that thing that you use to do X"...

I do this all the time, because I can't call up the right word or name. It's not on "the tip of my tongue" either, it's just a momentary blank. It drives me up the wall. :x

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 8:44 pm

That happens to me sometimes too especially if I am nervous or stressed.