Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 11:36 pm

Who likes the sound of them? I'm partial to the tone of pedal steels - almost a weeping sound

They were first brought into public recognition in 19th century Hawaii using standard acoustic guitars before their first step in evolution by the Weissenborn company

On the US mainland a Hawaiian music craze hit in the 1920s-30s and Dobros laid a foundation for the amplified lap steel, which companies like Rickenbacker marketed as the earliest widely available electric guitars, which Leo Fender did not actually invent, but rather improved in the course of refining the electric lap steel design - his Esquire model standard guitar was a result of his Aspie-ish indecision as to whether a "Spanish" guitar should be optimized to be a solo-lead or a background instrument.

In the late 1940s Fender began adding legs to his lap steels and increasing the number of necks to further tuning possibilities, these are considered to be console steels. Companies like Bigsby and Gibson began adding mechanisms to allow the players to bend individual strings.

A typical pedal steel has 2 necks of 10 strings in C6 (near neck) and E9 (far neck) tunings, 10 mechanical pedals, a volume pedal and 4 or more knee levers.

The 'steel' in steel guitar is not from what they are made out of but rather the steel slide held in the player's left hand

Relicanth7
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2013, 1:00 am

2wheels4ever wrote:

A typical pedal steel has 2 necks of 10 strings in C6 (near neck) and E9 (far neck) tunings, 10 mechanical pedals, a volume pedal and 4 or more knee levers.

I love the sound of lap steels/ slide guitar, I love the old Hawaiian folk-esque chill music... Island Jazz is a combo genre I'm attempting to conceptualise. However, I'm positive they weren't tuned that high. Unless your referring to a C dominant 6 chord and an E dominant 9 chord because if you are call me stupid for thinking you were using scientific note notation, lolz. (as I am aware that slide/steels use primarily open tunings) :roll:

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2013, 1:19 am

I like them. I also like tube amps.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Relicanth7
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2013, 1:21 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
I like them. I also like tube amps.