Is it unusual that I care about fashion?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 9:14 am

I don't suit fashion. I usually wear clothes that suit me and the way I feel about myself. I love getting all dressed up sometimes though,

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 9:30 am

DevilKisses wrote:
It seems like no one else on wrong planet cares about fashion. Not even the other girls. I just love going shopping and making outfits. I'm not interested enough for it to be a special interest, but I often get complimented on my outfits. I think my sense of style also helps me blend in with the NTs.

I'm not tremendously into fashion and I hate clothes shops, but that doesn't mean I don't wear fashion. I like to look presentable where I can blend in with other girls, and I'm always told I look nice. I have a collection of denim shorts of different colours, like one blue hair, one yellow pair, etc. I've been told they always look trendy on girls of my age, and I see a lot of people wearing them in the warmer weather. I like wearing sandals too, and a nice T-shirt. I don't care for short T-shirts because I don't like my belly showing, but long T-shirts are in too so I wear those, or just ordinary-sized T-shirts or vest tops as well. And in the colder weather I have an expensive coat what other girls have asked where I got it from because they want one. And I wear skinny jeans with boots, which always goes nice. I have some hoodies and some ordinary tops, but I know I always look nice. I'm always seen with a scarf on in the winter, even indoors. I consider a scarf an accessory, so I have a few scarves so I can wear when the other's in the wash.

Like I said I dislike clothes shops, but that doesn't mean I dislike wearing stylish clothes. I mean, a person who loves their food isn't always necessarily into cooking.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 11:06 am

I'm one of those aspie females who don't care at all about fashion. I wear whatever I like and feel comfortable in.
I think it's pretty rare for an Aspie to be into fashion, but there have been some on this site who are. So you're not alone, OP.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

anotherswede
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jul 2013, 11:43 am

DevilKisses wrote:
It seems like no one else on wrong planet cares about fashion. Not even the other girls. I just love going shopping and making outfits. I'm not interested enough for it to be a special interest, but I often get complimented on my outfits. I think my sense of style also helps me blend in with the NTs.

I quite like fashion quite a bit. Not high fashion but the general trends in better menswear and the classic pieces and materials. I try to dress OK, but I'm really nothing special. The thing is my wallet doesn't appreciate fashion the way I do...

I would guess a lot of aspie underestimate the importance NT place on appearance and the clothes we wear. Clothes being such a strong signal of who we are in general society, what we like and what we wish to be and what we identify ourselves as. It is such a big part in the first impression we make. So I'm quite bewildered by the number of aspie i see dressed in the same sweatpants most days, or jeans and a once black hoodie that should have been tossed years ago... I know you're a super nice person but does this not signal that you have given up? :?

I'm in no way like super fashion conscious, but it is interesting to learn the rules, what pieces and colours work together and what does not, what is considered on trend, what is considered classics, different materials, what is age appropriate, what belongs to certain subcultures and cultures, and so on.

Dressing OK seems to be one of the easiest things an aspie could do to better blend with NT and have NT accept you, and there are very strong psychological drives and reasons NT dress the way they do and we shouldn't ignore that.

wildcoyotedancer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jul 2013, 12:55 pm

I like the artistic side of fashion and the idea of personal style but I'm not into the superficial side of it or labels. I love finding a knock off of something designer for really cheap at Ross or something. I also love thrift shops etc. I have a lot of admiration for artists who have a strong personal style and don't care if they are on a best or worst dressed list. I also love that show Project Runway because I like seeing the creative process. I tried to learn how to sew a few times when I was a kid and teenager but I didn't have the patience for it. I wish I did. I do ballroom dance and I could save a lot of money and afford more costumes if I could make my own lol.

Personality: INFP

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 1:10 pm

I like to dress for comfort, tshirts, shorts, jeans, sweats, crocs or Keens or sneakers or sport specific clothing. I appreciate fashion and when I have to dress up or dress in a really nice well put together casual outfit I really love how I look and feel great in it but I do a lot of sports and I "play" outside a lot so dressing up isn't really practical for me. Sometimes I really enjoy wearing my old ripped up sweats too. They are just so comfy and even though I always wear clean clothes, sometimes the bum look is just so comfy that I don't care what it looks like. Every now and then if I am dressed like that I tell people that my fashion goal is to embarrass my mother! :)

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 1:16 pm

anotherswede wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

I quite like fashion quite a bit. Not high fashion but the general trends in better menswear and the classic pieces and materials. I try to dress OK, but I'm really nothing special. The thing is my wallet doesn't appreciate fashion the way I do...

I would guess a lot of aspie underestimate the importance NT place on appearance and the clothes we wear. Clothes being such a strong signal of who we are in general society, what we like and what we wish to be and what we identify ourselves as. It is such a big part in the first impression we make. So I'm quite bewildered by the number of aspie i see dressed in the same sweatpants most days, or jeans and a once black hoodie that should have been tossed years ago... I know you're a super nice person but does this not signal that you have given up? :?

I'm in no way like super fashion conscious, but it is interesting to learn the rules, what pieces and colours work together and what does not, what is considered on trend, what is considered classics, different materials, what is age appropriate, what belongs to certain subcultures and cultures, and so on.

Dressing OK seems to be one of the easiest things an aspie could do to better blend with NT and have NT accept you, and there are very strong psychological drives and reasons NT dress the way they do and we shouldn't ignore that.

You make a really great point about NT's and why they dress. I had never thought of that. For me, personally I don't really care what NT's think of how I look. Sometimes I do but most of the time I don't. But that is just me so this is definitely a good thing to know and think about if that is important to you.

I do most of my clothes shopping at Walmart because the clothes look fine and the price is right.

Keemun
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jul 2013, 1:42 pm

I like to look good, but I don't really follow fashion in any big way. I dress in 100 per cent cotton t-shirts, and I like the ones with a sizable sleeve. I have several different t-shirts, some of which are polo necked with a few buttons over the chest. I have 4 summer trousers, two linen, one cotton, and cropped jeans. For winter, I have 3 jeans and one brown corduroy trouser. In the winter I wear hooded zip tops or warm jumpers.

I don't wear makeup, but I do wear a little lip balm to ensure my lips look respectable, and I wear a little roll on deoderant - I can't stand the sprays.

I wash every other day, and like to look clean.

I am abit obsessive about my clothes and how often I wash them. I know I need to wash them to be clean, but every wash fades their colour a bit more, and this makes me anxious. I want everything to remain new!

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 1:44 pm

When I find something that I like wearing I just keep wearing it all the time.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 1:46 pm

Yes, and fixing up one's wardrobe is probably the easiest way to make a difference amongst NTs who most likely do care how others look. For me, wearing flattering colours and clothes that are comfortable and look nice is a big confidence booster! And that shows through. Once I was told that if you're having a 'low' day, maybe feeling poorly, to always dress extra nicely because it's an automatic mood booster.

Dressing nicely shows others that you take care of yourself. I definitely have found that bullies will pick on the one who lacks self-confidence, so looking nice is a deterrent. Personally, I dislike that NTs place so much value on dress but it is a reality. My rationale for liking clothes may be quite different than from my neurotypical counterparts.

Panddora
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jul 2013, 1:51 pm

I love clothes and fashion and always have clothes suitable for any occasion. However a lot of these are clothes I have had for some years but still look good. I also have some great shoes. Most of the time I wear my favourite comfortable old clothes and trainers though.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 2:41 pm

its more so related to having a right brain dominance than left brain dominance,the most common dominance in autism is the left side
which is where prof simon baron cohen got his extreme male brain autism theory from,however people of all dominances and blends can be found on the spectrum,dont be put off just becaause fashion isnt common here-perhaps find a fashion forum if its a big interest.
we have lost good members because they felt they werent liked because they didnt fit amongst us well,loads of us dont relate to the majority here but we do in other ways.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 3:05 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
its more so related to having a right brain dominance than left brain dominance,the most common dominance in autism is the left side
which is where prof simon baron cohen got his extreme male brain autism theory from,however people of all dominances and blends can be found on the spectrum,dont be put off just becaause fashion isnt common here-perhaps find a fashion forum if its a big interest.
we have lost good members because they felt they werent liked because they didnt fit amongst us well,loads of us dont relate to the majority here but we do in other ways.

I don't care about it enough to go on forum about fashion. I just think that a lot of aspies underestimate the power of dressing well. When I dress well I can get away with a lot of stuff.