Is it unusual that I care about fashion?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 3:19 am

It seems like no one else on wrong planet cares about fashion. Not even the other girls. I just love going shopping and making outfits. I'm not interested enough for it to be a special interest, but I often get complimented on my outfits. I think my sense of style also helps me blend in with the NTs.

savvyidentity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2013, 3:20 am

I don't have the issue of fashion either. I do sometimes look a little too traditional, that's about it.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 3:35 am

My sister, who I believe is on the spectrum, cares a lot about fashion. She goes shopping after work by herself and buys many clothing items, shoes, handbags etc. She definitely is dressed nicely whenever she goes out. Although she is still pretty awkward with people, she doesn't look like one of nerdy people.

She also accompanies me for clothes shopping because I have no idea what to buy.

So I guess some autistic individuals do care about fashion, but I think the majority of us probably don't have a good fashion sense. Just a random guess/impression.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 3:41 am

Not really. Certainly not from the majority of the world's perspective anyway. I gravitate towards monochrome when I feel like thinking about how I dress, but otherwise it's old vans, cords, cargo pants and t shirts for me. That and I'm a cyclist so I have a penchant for looking absurd, so I suppose that might put you in a boat all your own from my point of view.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 3:47 am

I'm not sure.....hmm. I actually enjoy nice outfits. Now, I'm not concerned about fashion in terms of 'fitting in' with others or following trends, but instead just the aesthetic value. Similarly, I appreciate good artwork. I'm not into fashion mags (e.g. glamour) but I can appreciate haute couture since it's an art form. Like you, it's not a special interest or anything, but I think I am quite fashionable. I like to see people be creative with the colours they put together and enjoy wearing them. Unsure, if this counts, but I tend to strongly identify acquaintances with their favourite colours. For instance, I have a close colleague who preferentially wears green shades and I always imagine her as 'green.'

I'm sure not socially slick but I do think that because I look attractive I can be more accepted. And there's nothing wrong with that. DevilKisses, I recently posted a fashion link in the Art Forum you might like to see.

Jasper1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jul 2013, 3:56 am

If I had the money, I'd try to look as best as I could. I definitely like wearing nice clothes and shoes. I have expensive taste with a paupers budget.

Actually thinking about that, I'm like that with everything. I generally like the best of the best and would like to own it all if I could.

For example, if I was rolling in the dough, I wouldn't hesitate to drop hundreds and even thousands on exclusive sneakers. In fact I'd be collecting them.

Same thing with watches.

I'd like to get my clothes custom made as well.

Oh well, balling on a budget will do. I don't have a choice. lol

Last edited by Jasper1 on 28 Jul 2013, 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 3:59 am

I do like the artistic side of fashion. I also like how I can manipulate other people's perception of me. I like to dress in a way that will let me pass as an artsy NT.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 4:01 am

Forget the diagnostic criteria. One reason it's the 'wrong planet' is NTs too often define us to ourselves. It's a vast spectrum, not a plastic cup we live in. Me, performing is in my blood, I always wear the part.

<- See that trendy hard hat. If I do it long enough, some teenager will start it up, too.

EQ: 6.

Jasper1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jul 2013, 4:05 am

DevilKisses wrote:
I do like the artistic side of fashion. I also like how I can manipulate other people's perception of me. I like to dress in a way that will let me pass as an artsy NT.

I actually get a kick out of that. On most days I actually dress bummy. I don't see the point in wearing my best clothes if I'm not doing anything particularly special.

When I do dress nicely, I like to take note on just how different I get treated. It's like being in a different world, and reminds me how shallow and easily swayed people are by looks and impressions, and basically how fake people can be.

It's like, "so last month you treated me like garbage....and now you treat me like I'm something special....f**k you!"

Actually, I got the chance to drive some really nice flashy cars a couple times, and the difference with how people treat you is astounding.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 4:11 am

I don't usually dress particularly formally. I just wear what I like. I usually shop at second hand stores. It's hard to find stuff there, but I save a lot of money.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 4:12 am

Jasper1 wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

I actually get a kick out of that. On most days I actually dress bummy. I don't see the point in wearing my best clothes if I'm not doing anything particularly special.

When I do dress nicely, I like to take note on just how different I get treated. It's like being in a different world, and reminds me how shallow and easily swayed people are by looks and impressions, and basically how fake people can be.

It's like, "so last month you treated me like garbage....and now you treat me like I'm something special....f**k you!

One thing I do put effort into is my car. My silver bullet Saab sure isn't new, but it does fast and comfy pretty well. Much better when I get around to fixing my front seats :roll: Surprisingly enough, I've never had any particularly similar reaction to my tastes. Perhaps I just get some kind of placebo effect when I do bother to at least match clothes and/or wear my nice shoes. That said, I too enjoy poking little holes in space time with my relatively strange set of clothes. I want more fractal shirts!

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Last edited by cberg on 28 Jul 2013, 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jul 2013, 4:14 am

I don't dress formal either, but I like style. I like unique. I like hints of flash but still classy.

I also want to mention that clothes and style weren't always something I was into. Growing up my only friend that I've sustained any kind of long term friendship with is what I would probably classify as someone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder on the extreme cerebral side of the scale. He was VERY extreme about his appearance and a lot of that rubbed off on me as I got older.

He basically opened me up to the world of perception and how one looks often dictates how people treat you. Also, how looks are often VERY deceiving. He also taught me how to never be friends with people that share his traits. What a terrible human being he was/is, but he often got treated like he was a prince. lol

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2013, 5:44 am

I've always liked nice clothes. When I was younger I always dressed in the best fashionable clothes I could afford. I'm not so bothered about fashion at 50, but I still love to wear nice clothes, and would spend a fortune on italian suits if I had the money.

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

thymps
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2013, 6:03 am

I like fashion! Maybe not the stuff considered ~in fashion~ or anything and I usually buy my clothes from charity shops, so my wardrobe is mostly full of small men's shirts, jumpers, and blazers that were probably worn by old men, but gives me more money to spend on well made brogues! So yeah...I love fashion, but not really the stuff you see in high street shops. :heart:

murasaki_ahiru
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2013, 6:21 am

I like fashion and I splurge on classic pieces and scrimp on fad stuff. Have a collection of Chuck Taylors which are like my equivalent of heels they come in a huge range of colours and patterns like heels but great for the non girly girl like myself.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 8:07 am

Jasper1 wrote:
He basically opened me up to the world of perception and how one looks often dictates how people treat you. Also, how looks are often VERY deceiving. He also taught me how to never be friends with people that share his traits. What a terrible human being he was/is, but he often got treated like he was a prince. lol

That would explain why the two worst people I know wear suits and they seem to easily decieve people (both are commissioned sales). I know i had my eyes opened when i wore my fancy tailored suit around town once. Girls who thought i was the ugliest thing in the world suddenly were all over me. The change in attitude from everyone was absolutely incredible and i was treatedlike royalty by the exact same people who ignored me.