Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 8:56 am

My DS is nearly two (next month) and he has been doing something that I'm not sure if it's simply a phase or indicating anything else.

When I hold his left hand walking, he lifts his right leg upward as if in a march (straight out, unbent, lifted high) and then stomps it down forcefully. This happens with or without shoes. He does not do this with his left foot, only his right (so far). Even if I switch sides walking with him, he does it with the same leg. There seems to be nothing physically wrong with his leg. When I let go of his hand, he walks normally.

Can anyone make any sense out of this? Is this just a phase or a sensory issue or anything else? Anyone else ever experience or witness this?

Thanks!

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 3:32 pm

I'd have it looked at, if you can. I can see where it could be a sensory issue, but I find it being one-sided to be a little unusual. DS has all kinds of unusual behaviors in that vein, but almost all of them involve using both sides of his body equally. I don't think it's anything to worry about, but I wonder if it might be a way to express some kind of odd feeling in that leg.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 3:45 pm

The other funny thing I've noticed is that he tends to "wag" his left arm when he walks really fast. It swings from left/right instead of forward/backward. So he's got a funny swing to his left arm and a funny walk in his right leg. What in the world kind of doctor would I take him to see for that??

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 3:47 pm

Pediatric neurologist.

It would really bother me as a parent, to see something that asymmetrical going on.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 3:55 pm

Pediatric neurologist.

It would really bother me as a parent, to see something that asymmetrical going on.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 7:54 pm

I second the pediatric neurologist recommendation.

I would be concerned with the asymmetry, but to keep you from going too far into a panic, my son had all sorts of odd things with his gait when he was younger. He even crawled weird (one foot and one knee). None of it amounted to anything and he grew out of all of it.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 8:47 pm

Yep - could be nothing, but not a bad idea to check out the asymmetry...