I want to go to college-and I've got a few questions.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2005, 9:19 pm

Hey!Geuss what?I'm studying more and extra hard so I can go to college early.I want to study writing and music.I just wannah know though-

1.You do 4 years of college right?
2.Is it harder than regular school?
3.What time do you usually get off?

I may ask more later.By the way-anynoe else here going to college early or went to college early?

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2005, 9:35 pm

College councelors are not useful. Just
follow your desired transfer sheets, get good
grades in both difficult and easy classes, and
best of all enjoy. Since you are either AS/HFA
try a study group that shares your interests
since they will be more receptive to you.

Good Luck!

Sincerely,
Ghosthunter

P.S: follow your strengths and be creative
in how you choose your career. "Follow your heart"
and be-true-to-yourself, not others(they will eventually
go away and you will still be with yourself)

alex
Developer
Developer

31 Mar 2005, 9:37 pm

SpaceCase wrote:
Hey!Geuss what?I'm studying more and extra hard so I can go to college early.I want to study writing and music.I just wannah know though-

I may ask more later.By the way-anynoe else here going to college early or went to college early?

What grade are you in now?

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2005, 7:06 am

SpaceCase wrote:

It depends on your major, and also the college you go to. A bachelor's degree (the most common, especially for writing/music) generally takes four years.

SpaceCase wrote:

Yes, the classes are harder.

SpaceCase wrote:

You get pretty much the same breaks that you get in high school.

SpaceCase wrote:

I'm a freshman at college. I wouldn't recommend going to college early. Finish high school, becase a strong knowledge foundation is really really needed for college.

Last edited by ghotistix on 01 Apr 2005, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2005, 7:30 am

I don't know if it's the same here as over there, but the time you get off solely depends on what papers(subjects) you take and how many.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2005, 1:36 pm

I'm almost done with 8th grade then I'll be moving on to 9th.Oh,and I homeschool.

JayShaw
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2005, 2:19 pm

Not sure if colleges are different in Massachusetts than they were for me in Texas, but my replies are somewhat different than ghotistix's.

It depends on various things, including the number of credit hours you take per semester, the number of credit hours required for the degree you are seeking, the number of credit hours you can obtain by taking College Level Examination Placement (CLEP) or Advanced Placement (AP) examinations, whether you deviate from your degree plan, and whether you fail any classes. A rule of thumb is that it takes 2 years to obtain an Associate's Degree, 4 years for a Bachelor's Degree, 6 years for a Master's Degree, and 8 years for a Doctoral Degree, but your experience may vary based on the factors I mentioned above. For example, I obtained my Bachelor's Degree in 3 years due to the fact that I had 60 credit hours from CLEP and AP examinations.

In terms of the hours you have to spend in class, college is far easier than high school. However, you also have to have the initiative to study and complete projects on your own. Furthermore, a large percentage of your grades in college are typically based on tests. If you go to a university where class sizes are particularly large, there's a reasonable chance that your entire grade in many classes will be based entirely upon a few multiple choice examinations. Depending on your aptitude, this can be positive or negative. For me personally, college (particularly undergraduate school) was a breeze compared to high school.

The way that class times for college are structured is far different than the way they are structured for high school. A typical class is 3 credit hours, which means that you spend 3 hours attending that class in a given week. A class will usually be held on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays for 1 hour, Tuesdays and Thursdays for 1.5 hours, or Mondays and Wednesdays for 1.5 hours, although single day sessions of 3 hours are not unusual. Your schedule will depend upon the courses you select. The university you attend will provide you with a course catalog indicating which times various courses are held.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2005, 3:56 pm

JayShaw wrote:
A rule of thumb is that it takes 2 years to obtain an Associate's Degree, 4 years for a Bachelor's Degree, 6 years for a Master's Degree, and 8 years for a Doctoral Degree, but your experience may vary based on the factors I mentioned above.

Gah, I mixed up Bachelor's and Master's :roll:

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2005, 3:57 pm

I know for sure I'm going to JCJC for my first 2 years(I live in Mississippi).

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2005, 7:28 pm

1. Yeah, 4 years if you are going full time, sometimes that means 15 units a semester which i never take more then 12. My friend is getting his bachelors this spring after 9 years of school because he chose to work full time while going to school. Don't rush. Take as much time as you need.

2. kinda. more advanced is the better term. More responsibility needs to be taken. Show up to class every day and keep in touch with your professors. Take notes and recopy them when studying.

3. Depends when you schedule your classes. Some people wanna sleep in. I start at 9am so that i can be done early.

notes: Get your generals out of the way first. They are annoying if you leave them for later. Plus, it gives you time to change your major in case you find something else. It is estimated that the average person changes their career 5 times. Hope i helped.
AK

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2005, 5:00 pm

SpaceCase wrote:

I started taking college classes when I was in 11th grade. It was actually really cool, cause the atmosphere was a lot different from high school. No cliques, and people were there because they wanted to be there, because they wanted to learn, not because someone was forcing them. (I was taking upper level classes, so I don't know if it's worse in freshman classes.) People respected you if you were good at the subject.

Dan
Raven
Raven

06 Apr 2005, 12:13 am

SpaceCase wrote:

If you have a decent amount of AP or transfer credit and if you don't have a difficult major, it will take 4 years to get a Bachelor's degree. But it's actually more common nowadays to require 5 years.

I graduated in 4 years and a summer. (It would have been on time, but I had a really lousy senior year.)

SpaceCase wrote:

Maybe.

SpaceCase wrote:

In college, there isn't a fixed 7-hour day like there is in high school. Your last class is whenever you want it to be (constrained to the times your courses are offered), and you can have very different schedules on different days of the week. For example, this semester, I'm in class from 10:20-11:10 am on MWF, but from 2:20-5:10 pm on Tuesday and Thursday.

Dan
Raven
Raven

06 Apr 2005, 12:19 am

axelkat wrote:
notes: Get your generals out of the way first. They are annoying if you leave them for later.

I disagree. I took 4 "core curriculum" courses (Microeconomics, Technical Writing, State & Local Government, and Art History) when I was a senior, and they were a refreshing break from all my tough 400-level CPSC classes.

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2005, 8:49 am

its working for me
A