Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

29 Jul 2013, 8:56 pm

This topic is about jealousy and autism.
----
Is it possible that autistic people are more jealous? I mean, case in point: I can't help but feel a little jealous inside about my older sister getting married in October. Yes, I am proud of her, but part of me just can't help but think "Why can't that be me getting married?" (Oh, on a semi-related note, my wedding will be at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles.)

Does anybody else experience this feeling of jealousy?

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 10:07 pm

<--- Jealous of being the only unmarried sibling in his family.
<--- Jealous of people who are given free rein to develop their talents.
<--- Jealous of people who have normal lives (spouse, house, kids, retirement plans, vacations, etc)
<--- Jealous of people who are beautiful to the eyes.

DizzleJWizzle
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2013, 10:08 pm

same

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 10:12 pm

It definitely is.

Its hard to control but it can be done.

As ive said before, i feel most miserable around other people.

Because you constantly get reminded of your short comings. Almost 30, still acting like 18. No girlfriend, No job. million other things.

Its just very important to try and somewhat control it, because it can really eat you up inside.

ParaSait
Raven
Raven

29 Jul 2013, 10:40 pm

Actually, it's the opposite for me. I am anything but a jealous personality and in fact I can have trouble understanding why people feel jealous.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 10:43 pm

being a hermit took care of the jealousy part for me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 10:47 pm

<-- Jealous of people who can walk into a roomful of strangers, and immediately become everybody's best friend.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 10:52 pm

jealous of people with planets in air signs in favorable aspect.

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2013, 10:55 pm

it's not jealousy. it's that it's that much harder to make good friends and know that they are trustworthy, and then to lose more that you've given for it than most people have. there is more marginal cost for us to make friends therefore there is more "currency" lost so to speak when they are lost or glom on to others. kinda like how a train ticket costs more for a poor person than a rich person.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 11:04 pm

jealous of people for whom success in life comes with no drama.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 11:47 pm

I remember being jealous of my sister between the ages 15 and 24 because my parents believed that she could have any future that she wanted and they didn't think that I would amount to much, because of my HFA. There were days that I'd be flying like a cucumber because of that jealousy. It wasn't until the Year 2000 that I got over that jealousy.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 11:48 pm

jealous of people who took the road more travelled.

Yaguara
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jul 2013, 12:57 am

Well, it has been my experience that the times in my life when I was most prone to jealousy were the times that I was feeling most insecure about whatever the subject of my jealousy was. For example, in the first 7 years of my 10 year marriage I felt no jealousy at all. My wife could go out with her girl and guy friends without me even batting an eye. She liked Country Western Line-dancing which I abhor. She would go dancing and it didn't even phase me. We were in love and our marriage was a happy one. However, in the last 3 years as our marriage was collapsing I was insanely jealous over every little thing. For another example, I am not a tall man and my experiences in junior high school reinforced the idea that girls did not go for short guys. I was terribly jealous of the tall guys that always seemed to "get the girl without even trying." So jealous that I would pick fights with guys much taller than myself - I am short, not small. Somewhere along the line, as I got older and managed to "get" a few girls of my own I stopped worrying about my height and I don't think twice about the tall men around me. Got into a lot fewer fights too.

I'm not Autistic (to my knowledge) but I still deal with insecurities. I think everybody gets them and everybody has to learn how to deal with them. I don't think I overcame my insecurities because of any advantage I have that someone else doesn't. I like to think I overcame my insecurities because I found what was good in me but maybe I just got old. ;)

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 12:59 am

ParaSait wrote:
Actually, it's the opposite for me. I am anything but a jealous personality and in fact I can have trouble understanding why people feel jealous.

Same here.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 1:11 am

only the very high-functioning and the very low effortlessly manage to elude the green-eyed monster.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 1:21 am

For me, it's the other way around - others being jealous of me, for one reason or another. :shrug: