Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 3:14 pm

Callista wrote:
I hate chairs. Hate hate hate.

This.
In kindergarden is used to sit under the table and was drawing.
When we had to eat sitting on a chair at the table I was all screaming.
In school I had to sit on a chair, I started to pull my legs up and sit on them, but when teacher saw it I had to put them down and I could concentrate no more, because the feeling it gives in the body is...I cannot stand it.
Now I sit on the floor (usually against a wall) and if I have to sit on a chair, I still pull my legs up, often like in a sort of "meditation-pose".

I read once, that people with retained primitive reflexes (one normally loses around age one) is causing difficulties and discomfort sitting on a chair (but I do not find the resource anymore).

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 3:19 pm

I don't mind sitting on the floor but it is becoming more and more difficult for me to get up.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 3:28 pm

No, I can't sit on the floor so much any more because I get achey and uncomfortable. I used to as a child but most children do, especially when their elders tell them to give up their chairs, which you can understand.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 3:42 pm

I like sitting on the floor too. When I am over my daughter's house I sit on the floor and her boyfriend always insists that I sit on a chair. He keeps insisting until I get up and sit on a chair.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 3:45 pm

I'm the opposite.

I hate sitting on the floor. It's very uncomfortable. I also have a chronic backache and it gets worse if I sit in an uncomfortable position. So I need a (comfortable solid) chair.

I also find it yucky to sit on the groud, floor or any place where people usually walk with their shoes on.

Jasper1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jul 2013, 3:57 pm

Jasper1 wrote:
Not so much that I'm older, I only really did it in private, and haven't lived in a place with comfortable carpet and such since I've been an adult. Can't do it if the flooring isn't comfortable.

When I was a kid, different story. I spent most of my childhood in my bedroom sitting on the floor listening to music and rocking to it. I had to rock. It was almost involuntary. It was my primary activity when I was at home till I pretty much moved out and could no longer have the privacy I needed to sit and enjoy music. Till my early 20's I'd say.

I pretty much sat there and played my favorite music all day everyday. Sun up to sun down. Sometimes had problems with the neighbors over it. My mom put it up with it to an extent, or maybe she just gave up. I was always told by family that it was strange, but I never gave it up, because that's how I preferred to spend my time, and it was just natural to me. I only felt comfortable doing it in complete privacy because I was told and made aware that it was so strange.

I evenly feel really strange talking about it on here, because it's not something I talk about it. At All. It's like my private secret that I keep from everyone.

Also, when sitting to music I also liked to have the TV on. I liked watching the visuals when I was day dreaming and listening. Sometimes if I liked the show, I'd listen to both. My music would be more like the background music to what I was watching.

I do have to say that as an adult I've never enjoyed music as much as I did when I was a kid since I had to break out of that habit for lack of privacy and whatnot.

When I went out by myself I almost always had a walkman or discman. Would often try to sneak earbuds in my ear in class. Sometimes at work too.

I've also developed a hobby around music that I do well at despite having no knowledge of music theory, and having extreme difficulty trying to teach myself theory when I tried. It's too math like and I don't understand the concept of assigning notes to sounds. I don't have perfect pitch. It's all relative pitch to me.

I generally kept all the facts in memory about pertinent information on the liner notes of all my CD's. Everything from dates, to producers, to musicians etc. Even people they thanked and so on.

I'm not really sure what category this behavior would fall under. Not sure if it's more aspie or a different autistic trait. All I know is it was pretty extreme.

Now that I'm in my 30's, I don't have as much of a draw to music. Definitely not into it like I used to be. Don't care to remember useless facts about it. Sometimes don't even keep track of song titles and whatnot. I'm not into anything so deeply and all engrossing anymore.

I don't mean to hi jack this thread. I realize I wrote a lot and it veers into other things, but I was really hoping to get feedback. I'm really struggling with the severity of this behavior and what it points to in regards to figuring out my possible "aspieness." Was really hoping someone could shed some light on it for me please.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 5:04 pm

I sit on the floor when I'm on my computer. I don't have a desk or a table to put it on. It's on a small end table/nightstand.

When I used to use the computer sitting in a chair at a table sometime my feet, ankles, and calves would swell up. That happens less on the floor.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 5:49 pm

I used to like sitting on the floor when I was younger, but the older I got, the more uncomfortable it got for me whenever I sat on the floor. I sat on chairs and couches more often these days because I needed something to support my back.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 6:19 pm

When I was younger I used to sit on the floor, now I find it too uncomfortable.

maia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2013, 6:20 pm

Sometimes I like sitting on the floor when I have my back against something. Mostly I like sitting on a chair or couch while putting my feet against another chair or table. I am most comfortable when my knees are crouched. When I feel really bad I comfort myself by lying in the fetal position.

Yuseong
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jul 2013, 7:06 pm

I prefer to sit on the floor.
When we used to visit one of my relatives, I would lay on her floorboards and watch cartoon network on her television while they chatted and had tea with my parents. I would often fall asleep there because I was so comfortable.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 8:16 pm

No. Sitting on the floor makes my legs and back hurt. I used to like to sleep on the floor and I'm perfectly comfortable lying down on a hard surface. I could get comfy anywhere by lying down but I can't comfortably sit on the floor.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 8:28 pm

I actually had to explain to a coworker today that I had no problem sitting on the floor and often preferred it, so I can definitely relate to this!
I always had really strange sitting positions and preferred "spots" in my house. My favorite one was curled up on the third step on our staircase!

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 12:18 am

I don't mind sitting on the floor. I have a hard time sitting in a chair for extended periods of time, too. People comment about my sometimes odd seating positions.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 10:12 pm

What an odd question. Yet, now that I think of it...

When I was a kid, I used to lie on the carpeted floor and do my homework, with the TV on in the background.

Now, as a middle age adult, here I am, sitting on the carpeted floor, surfing the Internet, with the TV on in the background.

I never thought much about it. It was simply more comfortable.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 11:40 pm

I have a hard time getting comfortable in a chair and it takes a preticular chair design, I quite often choose the floor and sit in many different sitting positions sometimes changeing every couple of minutes. I often prefer to stand over sitting until my feet says enough. When I sit in a chair I very often don't sit in it correctly.