What is one thing you wish that NT's knew .....?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Shikari
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 1:01 pm

What is something you wish for everyone to know about ASD. This is just for fun!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 1:07 pm

I could wallpaper my room with what I wish NT's knew. But I think if I had to sum it up I wish that NT's knew that they cannot make blanket across the board statements about what people on the Spectrum are like and what we need and don't need or what we like and don't like. This assumption that some of them have that they know so much when, in fact, some of them have not got a clue is annoying. I wish they knew that people on the Spectrum are just as individually unique and diverse as they are. I have heard so many NTs say, "Autistic people like this or don't like that or can't do this or can't do that etc..," Let them come to WP for five minutes and see how wrong they are.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 1:15 pm

Look--I'm weird. I know it, you know it. You don't have to tiptoe around it. Being autistic is my everyday normal and it's nothing to be ashamed of. Can we stop pretending differences don't exist? I'm okay with it. You should be, too.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

diablo77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2013, 1:25 pm

Holy crap, how to approach me! I know not all people on the spectrum are alikebut I think I'm far from alone in wishing more people would not stand so close or touch me without warning - it makes me REALLY uncomfortable.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 2:01 pm

Listen. Just because I don't look or act like Rain Man, and don't speak with a monotone voice, doesn't mean I'm not on the spectrum.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 2:09 pm

When you've seen one Autistic person ... you've seen one Autistic person!

Annaliina
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jul 2013, 2:16 pm

Just because what I'm saying is coherent, and you understand it, doesn't mean I got my message across. If I'm telling you there's something I just can't seem to communicate, believe me. I'm the one that's talking, I know what I'm feeling, and what I itend to say, you have no way of knowing.

loveturn

30 Jul 2013, 2:53 pm

Not that they would know about ASD, but what I would tell them: Don't try to change me. They desperately want to make as NT as possible, because that would make my life so much better according to them. Just let me be. I am okay the way I am.

Hmm and what I wish they knew about ASD: 1% or 1,5% (or something close to that) have a form of autism. We have jobs too, we are part of society too. We are everywhere. That most of the autistic people have normal to high intelligence.

Jasper1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jul 2013, 2:56 pm

I'd rather them not know anything. It just gets used as ammo.

Actually, what I'd like them to know is....you don't always have to be an as*hole just cause you have the opportunity to be one. It's like it's a default setting, and they have to work on it, and take classes, and make it a life long goal not to be as*holes. That is if they ever realize they are as*holes in the first place. Secondly they have to make a conscious decision to change. Most pride themselves on it, so it's not very likely they change for the better. I think they take night classes on how to be a better as*hole, it's just we are kept out of the loop and don't know about these things. :lol:

1st Rule Of as*hole Club: Never Tell Anyone About as*hole Club.

Of course I'm generalizing and sound ignorant, but that's how I feel most days.

Last edited by Jasper1 on 30 Jul 2013, 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 2:59 pm

I am not gay, ret*d, or mentally ill.

I do not play with fire, wet the bed, or torture helpless animals.

I am not a rapist, a pedophile, or a sociopath.

I am not like "Rainman", "Monk", or the "Lawmower Man".

I am a Human Being, albeit with a high-functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Only this, and nothing more.

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 3:43 pm

"Normal" is an illusion at best and a harmful social construct at worse; we are all diverse, and that diversity is a valuable asset to humanity.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 4:20 pm

I wish there were a pill or an electromagnetic ray that could make NT people become Autistic for one month (I wouldn't make it permanent, I'm not a monster) and a law that forced everyone to go through the experience once in their life, between the ages of 15 and 35.

After that, I don't think anything would have to be said. :|

zooguy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jul 2013, 6:19 pm

not so much the one thing I wish they know but I really wish they could understand me - but the one thing I would like for them to know is how how! hard it is for me to be around people!

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 6:34 pm

Similar to Willard, I wish there were a way for NTs and aspies to trade sensory systems for a day or two so they could get first-hand experience of how overwhelming life can be for us, and we could get a day or two of respite, able to go out without being tortured by sensory stimuli. I wish they had more of an understanding of and respect for our sensory issues and didn't just tell us, "Stop being silly," "Get over it", "It's not so bad," etc.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Jul 2013, 6:50 pm

I wish they understood how much I dislike "loud" social activities, such as clubbing, busy pubs, and parties with strangers.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 8:08 pm

skibum wrote:
I could wallpaper my room with what I wish NT's knew. But I think if I had to sum it up I wish that NT's knew that they cannot make blanket across the board statements about what people on the Spectrum are like and what we need and don't need or what we like and don't like. This assumption that some of them have that they know so much when, in fact, some of them have not got a clue is annoying. I wish they knew that people on the Spectrum are just as individually unique and diverse as they are. I have heard so many NTs say, "Autistic people like this or don't like that or can't do this or can't do that etc..," Let them come to WP for five minutes and see how wrong they are.

sorry we dont have a like button,but am totaly agreeing with what have written.
people on the spectrum can be also just as bad as making assumptions about each other,until they have experience with us all they have to go on are stupid films,the medias portrayal and parents of young autistic children who think we stay exactly the same through our lives.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!