What is one thing you wish that NT's knew .....?

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 4:48 pm

GregCav and Clacrymosa, I like what you said about time alone and sitting quietly. My needing time alone does not mean I don't want to spend time with someone else, I just need time alone to allow my system time to rest and be calm and allow myself to focus on me rather than what others need and want. It's just very calming and kind of centering to have time alone. I know NTs understand that because they need it too but I think that because Spectrumites so easily get sensory or emotional overload, and we are always trying to process stuff, it is that much more crucial to us. I really like being able to sit in a room with someone else and just be quiet and not have that feel awkward.

Charis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Aug 2013, 9:30 pm

I've come across way too many NT's that seem to be under the impression that autism is just a "childhood thing." Even just yesterday, someone said to me,"wow, autism in your 20's? I'm sorry." I think it's because of the very heavy imbalance of attention placed on the difficulties encountered by childhood autists vs the near silence concerning the difficulties experienced by adult autists.

You are very likely an Aspie

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 6:25 am

Just because I am intelligent does not mean I can understand everything you say or do.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 8:28 am

- that I am not the same as every single person on the spectrum. if you've met one person with ASD, you've met one person. Not every single person is the same.
- that forcing me to eat stuff I can't eat due to sensory stuff isn't going to help me like it
- just because I'm high functioning, doesn't mean I don't have issues

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 5:21 pm

Charis wrote:
I've come across way too many NT's that seem to be under the impression that autism is just a "childhood thing." Even just yesterday, someone said to me,"wow, autism in your 20's? I'm sorry." I think it's because of the very heavy imbalance of attention placed on the difficulties encountered by childhood autists vs the near silence concerning the difficulties experienced by adult autists.

Exactly right. Lack of anything "adult Autism" is keeping society blind to the condition.

There are too many "save the children" fund raisers, which is nothing but a feel good, self righteous, moral exeersize for NT's. They don't know or care what the outcome is, as long as they feel better about themselves. Grrrr. (I hope I didn't hijack the thread).

ammmartin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Aug 2013, 5:32 pm

Simply put,

These NTs need to know that just because we're on the autism spectrum doesn't mean that we conform to the stereotypical view of autism. In fact, mine is not even close to the neurotypical view of autism.

Also, I certainly have feelings too and that bugs me that NTs think that I and the rest of us lack feelings just because we don't seem to be less communicative.