Have you been succesfull?///also/// Do you suffer from OCD?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Photon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2007, 1:12 pm

Are you an intelligent under achiever or an intelligent achiever?

Has your ability to focus and keep an interest in school topics paid off? Or has your interest in other areas affected your education?

Are you working in a career that is directly associated with your interest or interests?
Or do you prefer to keep your interest at a personal level and attend to your interests away from working hours?

Do you feel mentally capable of undertaking most/all careers/jobs within the world? Or do you feel that most jobs are above your capabilites and require too much of your time in training/education?

Do you see yourself as intelligent and use this confidence as a way of attacking other NT's ego and self importance?

Do you, or have you suffered from OCD in your lifetime?

I suffer from OCD, I have a rational and irational fear of lead poisoning and other substances that might alter my brain function/memory/I.Q, I also have irrational thoughts that people might use this fear against me and contaminate my clothes and bedroom with lead dust.
I constantly feel frightend that I am becoming less intelligent due to effects of lead contaminating my body, I am also frightned to read or learn purely because I don't want to see the effects of lead in my body.

The fear is not within the element of lead itself, but rather the affect that lead can have on the body, and since lead is very much accessible within the UK it is not too hard to undertand why I am suffering.
www.ocduk.org

above...Not sure if my use of tone was right and my comment necessary?

Hoorahville
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jan 2007, 1:53 pm

The former throughout my school years, now the latter.

I did school because I had to, not because I was interested in it. In fact I hated high school. It's so ridiculously inefficient. I ended up skipping about fifty days or so of my senior year and still finished with the sixth highest GPA.

I work with machinery, so yes. Recently, work has been the only solace I can manage.

Yep. They all take way too much education wise in order to be "qualified". My Bachelor's degree is just a piece of paper.

No. I'm pretty equal opportunity when it comes to who I cut down on. Stupid people anger me to no end.

Edit: And yep. I have plenty of rituals I have to go through, particularly when it comes to checking for spiders. lol.

Go get your blood tested if you're worried about lead poisoning. I've known a fellow that had it, and to be honest if you were suffering from lead poisoning, you'd have little doubt that something was seriously wrong. Once the doctors figured out what the issue was though, he was cured within a week. My friend is not stupid or otherwise impeded mentally. He's been perfectly healthy for years now. It's not something you're going to suddenly keel over brain dead from.

Marrshu
Raven
Raven

25 Jan 2007, 5:32 pm

Quote:

intelligent under achiever

Quote:
Has your ability to focus and keep an interest in school topics paid off?

Not really, in fact, it's hardly gotten me anywhere

Quote:
or has your interest in other areas affected your education?

Yes, see above.

Quote:
Are you working in a career that is directly associated with your interest or interests?

Not that far yet.

Quote:
Or do you prefer to keep your interest at a personal level and attend to your interests away from working hours?

again, Not that far yet

Quote:
Do you feel mentally capable of undertaking most/all careers/jobs within the world?

Yeah, I do, at least the ones that don't require a good deal of physical strength.

Quote:
Do you see yourself as intelligent and use this confidence as a way of attacking other NT's ego and self importance?

I see myself as being intelligent, but I don't use this to attack other NT's unless they attack me first.

Quote:

I was never offically diagnosed with OCD, however, I show many signs of it, so probably...

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 8:14 pm

Photon wrote:

Intelligent? YES Over Achiever? Well, depends

In school, I earlier succeeded a LOT with no work. Later, I did when really encouraged. At one point, I was listed on the "deans list" among the best acheivers.

Photon wrote:
Has your ability to focus and keep an interest in school topics paid off? Or has your interest in other areas affected your education?

I guess my last, and next answer answers this.

Photon wrote:

Yeah, I am in a career that is directly associated with one of my top three interests. It is actually associated with my first interest and what I have wanted to do since I was like THREE!

Photon wrote:
Do you feel mentally capable of undertaking most/all careers/jobs within the world? Or do you feel that most jobs are above your capabilites and require too much of your time in training/education?

I am more than capable, and it didn't really require any "formal" education.

Photon wrote:

Yeah, but that is just in my career and personal time.

Photon wrote:

Apparantly I had and, to a degree still do have, OCPD.

Photon wrote:
I suffer from OCD, I have a rational and irational fear of lead poisoning and other substances that might alter my brain function/memory/I.Q, I also have irrational thoughts that people might use this fear against me and contaminate my clothes and bedroom with lead dust.

Funny you should say this.... My first real obsession was ELECTRONICS!
Connections are made by using a product called solder, and a major component of it is LEAD! MAN, when I think of all the solder I was exposed to! I was ALSO born in the 60s. That was BEFORE the laws against lead were passed. Even GAS(petrol) had lead in it! Still, I turned out ok. SO yeah, they COULD feed you lead. Still, its effects on older kids(say 10+) and adults are not as bad as with younger kids, etc....

Hey, there is ENOUGH for you to worry about. I try to stay away from aluminum for the SAME reason. Try to stay away, and relax. At least YOU don't have to worry as much as I did!

Steve

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 9:39 pm

I consider myself an achiever, at least I was in the scholastic area. I have a Master's in English, plus an Associate of Occupational Science in Legal Office Systems from the local business college.

I was always very focused in academics. I graduated fifth in my class in high school and won the Bank of America award in the field of English. My G.P.A. overall was between 3.25-3.45.

I work at my local library, so I am using my skills and interests to some extent. I also have interests that are more appropriate as hobbies.

I feel capable of doing anything involving a lot of reading, study and research, my strong skills.

I would never use my intelligence to attack anyone.

I don't have OCD.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 10:44 pm

I'm an intelligent achiever, but I'm the Queen of the Procrastinators because of my anxiety. Without my intense anxiety, I'd be even more of a go-getter. I'm ambitious and conscientious, but I'm not efficient.

Luckily, a lot of my obsessions are academic in nature, so it has helped me in school- like with abnormal psych and Spanish. I do have a tendency to pursue my other obsessions to the point where I neglect my schoolwork.

I suppose being in college is a "career," and since I'm studying my interests, then I guess the answer is "yes."

I can only work in certain conditions that pertain to certain topics. I have to tailor my career around my Asperger's.

I guess I'm intelligent, but I only use my knowledge to undermine NT's when the NT's are undermining me in some way, that is, if they're teasing me, or doubting my knowledge. I don't like when people are arrogant and condescending with me, so I try to avoid doing it to others.

Yes, I have comorbid OCD. I don't know which one is worse- the OCD or the Asperger's. I'm going to go with the OCD. There's no "gifts" from that... :roll:

-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

WCHandy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jan 2007, 12:49 am

Intelligent achiever. Probably over achiever considering.

Yes.

No and yes.

Yes and no.

No.

No.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 12:49 am

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
I'm an intelligent achiever, but I'm the Queen of the Procrastinators because of my anxiety. Without my intense anxiety, I'd be even more of a go-getter. I'm ambitious and conscientious, but I'm not efficient.

I just figured out that I was like that in school when I was young, many said "he's so smart", but I still remember a girl adding "yes, but a little lazy" :oops:

midge
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2007, 4:24 am

Quote:
suffer from OCD, I have a rational and irational fear of lead poisoning and other substances that might alter my brain function/memory/I.Q, I also have irrational thoughts that people might use this fear against me and contaminate my clothes and bedroom with lead dust.
I constantly feel frightend that I am becoming less intelligent due to effects of lead contaminating my body, I am also frightned to read or learn purely because I don't want to see the effects of lead in my body.

The fear is not within the element of lead itself, but rather the affect that lead can have on the body, and since lead is very much accessible within the UK it is not too hard to undertand why I am suffering.

I have irrational fears very much like this as well. Not so much to lead (though I've been afraid of that before), but other things that could decrease my brain capacity. I'm often giving myself mental tests to make sure I'm still alright. I probably do have OCD and it's really frustrating sometimes, but it isn't severe enough that I'd want to go to a psychologist and get diagnosed and all that, so I haven't. That's too bad about lead being common in the UK, but like others have said, you would probably know if it were affecting you, and babies and little children tend to be the most affected by it as far as it affecting their intelligence, and I think that's mostly through actually ingesting it. And I've never heard of anyone using a fear like that against someone-its just not something people would do. So I bet anything you'll be alright :) But I know from experience that no matter how many times someone tells you that, it's hard to shake that fear.

As far as everything else goes: I'm probably an overachiever for the most part, lots of my interests are academic so that helps with school, very few of my interests would lead to good, stable careers and I'm not really sure I even want a career, I definitely don't feel capable of taking on most jobs, I guess I'm intelligent but I'm not confident and I don't find NT's objectionable as a whole and would never attack them.

copernilol

27 Jan 2007, 7:51 am

Photon wrote:

At this stage in a strangers eyes I would be considered an under achiever.

Photon wrote:
My lack of interest in general work affected my formal education as I never went past high school.

Photon wrote:

I'm working on achieving a career that is my main interest. At this stage most people would look at it as a goal, but not yet a career.

Photon wrote:
The latter. I would not be able to do most jobs as I am terrible at doing the required background work unless it interests me.

Photon wrote:

I'd say yes. But it is not usually put forward 100% of the time for an attack, it's only used when need be. eg. I dont go looking for fights.

Photon wrote:

Yes, I do.

Photon wrote:

www.ocduk.org

above...Not sure if my use of tone was right and my comment necessary?
Well that must suck. Thankfully the majority of my obsessions consist mostly of touching objects and making sure doors are locked. :lol: