Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 2:58 am

Nope nothing wrong with you. Wisdom teeth are a leftover or genetical vary. So some people get some, some people not. They could have been useful in earlier time to replace missing teeth you mostly had around 25, but because of us having good hygiene nowadays, they are mostly causing only problems. So as mentioned, mine didnt even have place in the jar left, pushed the other teeth and are additional about 50% hidden from flesh, so I couldnt propper brush them. My partner had additional one with twisted roots, that caused because of that horrible pain, when the tooth tried to wander up into his jar. He needed to be sedated, then the Dr. needed to cut through the flesh to get to the wisdom teeth, because of the twisted roots, he couldnst simply plug it, but needed to split it into four parts, each with one part of the root. (With roots I mean the long anchors, that are fixing your teeth in the jar, sorry if its the wrong word.) and then to remove each part.

So if you dont have wisdom teeth: Simply be lucky. ^^

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 6:32 am

I got my wisdom tooth pulled out last winter and now I'm experiencing problems with my jawbone joint - nothing helps :( It was the surgeon who most likely did something wrong. I spent a lot of cash on doctors and various therapies.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 6:45 am

I had all 4 of mine grow in normal. Years ago I had the top 2 pulled because they rotted and broke off at the gum line. I still have the bottom 2.

Edit: I'm lucky I never had problems with them because my mother stopped bringing me to the dentist when I was 7 and we were poor and didn't have insurance. When I went at around 30 and needed 5 teeth pulled at first they talked about sedating me and doing them all at once but then they did 1 per visit and didn't knock me out.

Last edited by hanyo on 01 Aug 2013, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 9:06 am

I had mine removed two years ago. All four were growing in just fine, but my dentist urged me to get them removed for preventive measures.
I don't remember much about the surgery, but I do know I was under an IV. Everything went well that I know of, and I have not had any problems since.

IronHeart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Aug 2013, 6:51 pm

I had only 3. Out in 2000.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 2:30 am

I'm kind of mad I lost mine. All four were removed if I remember right. I didn't know those were nature's way of replacing lost molars later in life. I guess because they appear later in life that's why they are called wisdom teeth.

For some reason my dentist considered it automatic that I have all of mine removed even though they were not causing any problems. I was still in school and parents agreed so I went along with it. The dentist had said they could rot and cause problems.

When they came out (I asked to keep them) they were snow white. Now I have caps on my molars. I'd rather have those.

Poo.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 3:18 pm

Ha Ha. don't even get me started. I had to have two salivary gland cysts and a full gland removed because of the strain of them. They said the both weren't affected, yeah right.

At the moment, im fine, but ive had to still take antibiotics in the last month just for a gum infection and I still reckon the abscesses I had were due to salivary gland infections, I had no stones in them though, no ducts were blocked which meant they had to be extra cautious that they didn't find anything there when they operated on my glands back in may and a few years ago. Basically, this time after I had it done, I was blowing out trapped yellow mucus for a week, and I thought wow, if my consultant hadn't seen me, by a doc who I recently changed to due to practice procedures I think my infection would have spread or got my whole mouth infected.
I like extraordinary people who operate and my surgeon is one of them.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 5:07 pm

I had mine removed last year because of an infection. I couldn't eat for nearly two weeks after because I couldn't open my mouth. And I looked like I'd been in the ring with Mike Tyson. I think she dislocated my jaw or something.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 10:58 pm

I got mine taken out when I was 18.

Darod
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Aug 2015, 11:35 pm

I know this is an old post, but the search function doesn't really want to work for me.

Anyway.

I had all four of my wisdom teeth out earlier today. I was totally knocked out for it. Only remember a slight feeling of my head being moved around. One tooth was stuck in there good!

I was really worried/am still really worried about dry socket. Eep! But it appears that each tooth socket has a clot in it so I am lucky. Still trying to do all I can not to dislodge them.

The pain is not bad. I took a tylenol with codeine (doctor prescribed for this) and it feels just kinda... slightly like a headache? Hard to explain. But definitely bearable. And very not bad considering all the trauma done to my poor gums/jawbone.

I'm a bit scared of the rest of the recovery period, to be honest. Mainly with the whole dry socket fear. I haven't slept yet (it's late here already) because afraid of being horizontal and possibly causing the extraction sites to bleed while in that position.

I start rinsing with salt water tomorrow and lightly brushing. I keep telling myself just to take it slow and follow what the doctor told me and pretty soon I can be looking back on this as just a memory. :)

But until then, I worry and fear. :/

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2015, 9:35 am

If your cheeks aren't numb, you're fine. :P

Darod
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Aug 2015, 6:36 pm

Thanks, Dillogic. I know I probably sound a bit silly with all these worries. :P

It's been better today. No pain and the gums look good. A little 'whiting' around one of them, that has stitches, which I understand is actually a part of the healing process. So that's a good sign. I was able to lie down for while and take a nap. No problems with that, no bleeding. I feel slightly more calm about the whole recovery process now. :)

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2015, 8:33 pm

Generally, the first few days when the swelling is there is when the pain is at its worst.

A couple of weeks and the pain should be gone for the most part. I think they take the stitches out at 1 week? I can't remember fully there.

Keep on swilling that salt water and taking your antibiotics (do they still do that with the latter? They gave me such).

I was unlucky due to the entrapped facial nerve, so numb right cheek (permanent there). The pain on that side was pretty extreme for a week, and I'm guessing it was due to the nerve damage (the left side wasn't bad).

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2015, 8:44 pm

equestriatola wrote:
Yeah, those annoying back teeth. Some of you have gotten them removed, whom amongst us has?
----
Mine were removed in August 2006.

Just one when I was 40. It was the reason for my second and third visit to the dentist.

I know two different people who went in to have their wisdom teeth removed and left the dentist office missing six teeth, not four. It seems that in both cases, the roots of two of their wisdom teeth had become intertwined with the roots the nearest teeth necessitating that they be removed as well.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2015, 8:47 pm

Luinil wrote:
I had mine removed just a couple weeks ago. Luckily, I only ever grew the two top ones, no lowers. That particular dentist doesn't knock people out for the removal, so instead they had me take a 2mg xanax (which I'd never had before) an hour before the appointment. I was surprised--it actually went very quickly and wasn't unpleasant (aside from the taste at one point or other). I spent my time lying there wondering if the xanax had kicked in yet, but I knew it finally had when I went to get up after the procedure. Boy, I was wobbly! My speech was slowed too, and I know I looked and sounded drugged. XD I went home, called my aunt (I'm sure I sounded hilarious) and then slept for the rest of the afternoon.

It took the dentist over an hour to remove the one I had removed. It did not want to come out at all.

Darod
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Sep 2015, 9:21 pm

Hope nobody minds if I post a little update?

It's been almost a week. No pain anymore, and the swelling is pretty much gone too I think. The holes have filled in nicely. Just a small indentation where the teeth were. The bottom right side is taking a little bit longer, still a tiny little hole there near the back. But they all seem to be healing quite well, and quite fast. :) No dry socket happened! :) Still on softer foods, but it seems like this little adventure is almost over.