Why do people assume there is only one type of Isolation?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 10:04 pm

I know many people on here have issues with the direct social isolation caused by our condition. But my question is why do so many people seemingly forget about the other types of isolation faced by people on the spectrum.

While being socially isolated have been a very painful part of my life I've faced isolation in many different terms.

1) Being isolated from medical services has greatly delayed my own diagnosis.

2) Being isolated from knowledge, more specifically knowledge of my condition has greatly altered the course of my life until finding wrong planet.

3) I've faced economic isolation. Being unable to network has cost a small fortune in underemployment, and increased living costs.

4) Creative isolation in my special interest music, has held me back a decade, because I'm simply unable to find like minded musicians who contain the same autistic passion for music that I carry.

I could go on all day about the different ways in which people isolated can hold you back, I simply want to know why doesn't this get more attention from you.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 10:49 pm

I'll attempt to explain my isolation.

I live alone.

The money I make at work is for my apartment where I live alone.

I've had some recent successes in publishing my first book and getting recognized for my songwriting but those successes are shared by me alone.

I'd love to indulge in celebrating those successes by drinking Veuve Cliquot or Moet but I live alone so a celebration would be superfluous.

Being alone has robbed me of the pleasure of sharing my successes. Hopefully, I will abide.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 3:33 am

The opposite of isolation is assimilation. Choose carefully.

EQ: 6.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 8:57 am

Stoek wrote:
I know many people on here have issues with the direct social isolation caused by our condition. But my question is why do so many people seemingly forget about the other types of isolation faced by people on the spectrum.

"The Hip bone is connected to the leg bone...the leg bone is connected to the...."

To the question in your first paragraph, I'm not so sure it's that it's "seemingly forget(ing)", as being unaware of the other issues imposed by social exclusion and they interact with their own (or someone else's) existing issues. Like the rhyme I referenced above, there's a lot of issues out there that interact with each other.

Cultural/Social capital, or lack thereof (social exclusion/isolation), is a topic that doesn't get as much attention as it should, in part because it's a chained set of issues.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 9:14 am

vanhalenkurtz wrote:
The opposite of isolation is assimilation. Choose carefully.
Says who? I think part of my point is my own independence has been held back via, the isolation I've experienced. Unable to do things on my own terms, due to living in a society where my own terms won't be recognized.