Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Should the USA ban these 8 items in food?
Yes, all of them 54%  54%  [ 15 ]
Some yes, some no 29%  29%  [ 8 ]
None of them should be banned in the USA 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 28

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 3:45 pm

http://blog.aarp.org/2013/06/25/8-foods ... -080113-F2

Quote:
1. Artificially colored food made with dyes derived from petroleum and coal tar. Yellow 5, Red 40 and six others dyes — used to enhance products from Froot Loops to Nutri-Grain cereal bars — are called the “rainbow of risk” by the Center for Science in the Public Interest. They are banned in Norway, Finland, France, Austria and the U.K.

2. Chicken with arsenic. Arsenic in chicken feed cuts down on parasites, makes chickens grow faster and gives their meat more color. It also gives the chicken we eat higher levels of arsenic, known to cause lung, bladder and skin cancers, a study last month by the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore found. Arsenic-laced feed is banned in the European Union.

3. Drinks with brominated vegetable oil (BVO). Bromine is a chemical used to keep carpets from catching fire, among other things, so why is it in our food? PepsiCo is removing it from Gatorade but keeping it in Mountain Dew. BVO is banned in more than 100 countries.

4. Breads with potassium bromate, used in bromated flour to make bread products rise higher and faster. Found in rolls, bagel chips, bread crumbs and flatbreads, potassium bromate has been linked to thyroid and kidney cancers in lab animals. It has been banned in Europe, Canada and China. California declared it a carcinogen in 1991.

5. Frozen dinners with azodicarbonamide. This is used to bleach and stabilize flour and also to make foamed plastic products like yoga mats and sneakers. Found in frozen TV dinners, packaged baked goods and some breads, it has been associated with inducing asthma. It is banned in Australia, the U.K. and most European countries.

6. Food preserved with BHA and BHT. These preservatives are added to cereal, nut mixes, gum, butter, meat and dehydrated potatoes to keep them from turning rancid. The debate over their safety has been going on in the U.S. for years. Meanwhile, they’re banned in the U.K., Japan and many European countries.

7. Milk with rBGH and rBST, also known as bovine growth hormones. Synthetic hormones, these are given to cows and therefore found in milk and other dairy products (unless the label specifically says otherwise). They have been linked to cancer and infertility and are banned in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan and the European Union.

8. Chips with Olestra or Olean, a fat substitute used in fat-free chips, like Ruffles Wow. Olestra and Olean can produce cramps and leaky bowels and are banned in the U.K. and Canada.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 3:59 pm

By the way, back in the days of my youth, I did some economic research on the impacts of rBST.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract

http://www.agbioforum.org/v5n1/v5n1a06-losinger.htm

(by "youth", I mean that I was still less than half a century old).

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 4:10 pm

But if all the junk was removed from typical Americans' diets you'd have nothing left to eat! :wink:

kabouter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Aug 2013, 4:57 pm

As I don't live in the USA, it doesn't matter.

One of the best ways to avoid junk food is to be diagnosed with Coeliac Disease. Means the selection of suitable food available is dramatically reduced, and you have to cook much more for yourself.

Junk food especially so.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 5:51 pm

Quote:
Should the USA ban these foods?

Nope!
It's up to the consumer to decide what's good for them, not big brother.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Aug 2013, 6:29 pm

Raptor wrote:
Quote:

Nope!

If Big Brother banned these additives, then the consumer could enjoy the same food, without the same level of risk. If you want to eat foods containing arsenic, then you are free to add it after purchase, or move to a nation where they are not banned.

(And fwiw, neither the consumer nor Big Brother decides what is good for someone- that's a matter of fact)

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 6:47 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Quote:

Nope!

If Big Brother banned these additives, then the consumer could enjoy the same food, without the same level of risk. If you want to eat foods containing arsenic, then you are free to add it after purchase, or move to a nation where they are not banned.

(And fwiw, neither the consumer nor Big Brother decides what is good for someone- that's a matter of fact)

This should be banned, that should be banned; is that all the left can think of is banning things?
Apparently whatever's in the food that the American Association of Old People is complaining about has ready passed muster with the FDA or they would actually have a case. And, no, I think I'll stay in the US of A where I can have what I want without the health nazi's.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Aug 2013, 6:54 pm

Raptor wrote:

This should be banned, that should be banned; is that all the left can think of is banning things?

Oh, I see.

I didn't quite understand why you had such a strong reaction. It isn't a matter of left versus right, this isn't a politicised question. It isn't "the left" suggesting banning these things.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Aug 2013, 7:24 pm

They should be labeled and the the companies that make these foods should be liable for damages if they knowingly put harmful substances in their foods.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 7:29 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Oh, I see.

I didn't quite understand why you had such a strong reaction. It isn't a matter of left versus right, this isn't a politicised question. It isn't "the left" suggesting banning these things.

If the individual that started this thread chose this forum instead of the more appropriate Health, Fitness, and Sports or Random Discussion forums then that makes it a political topic.

No, I didn't have a "strong" reaction. I cause strong reactions, I don't have them myself. :P

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 7:43 pm

I see. So consuming dyes derived from petroleum and coal tar, chicken with arsenic, brominated vegetable oils, potassium bromate, azodicarbonamide, BHA, BHT, rBGH, rBST, Olestra and Olean makes one a "Conservative?"

That would explain a lot about Conservatives.

They probably feel that these ingredients render them free of disease, and therefore against medical services.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 8:03 pm

Sure, I even use a PCB rub on meat for the grill.

PCB: Polychlorinated biphenyl

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 8:24 pm

Food products should be thoroughly labeled so that consumers know what they are getting.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 12:59 am

The_Walrus wrote:

Ehh, I wouldn't go that far, every few years the scientists seem to discover that what they thought was bad for us is actually good, and vice versa. I'm fine with labeling, but knee jerk bans are never a good idea.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 3:40 am

Holy f**k, dont you got anything normal left to eat? O_o What the hell are you growing on that wide areas between your two coasts?

From my oppinion food shouldnt explicite been forbidden, but propper labeled, so that people are able to decide what they buy, and what they do not want to buy.

When it comes to definitly poisonous stuff, like arsenic or artificial growth hormones and that stuff? Is that a joke? O_o

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 4:43 am

Schneekugel wrote:
When it comes to definitly poisonous stuff, like arsenic or artificial growth hormones and that stuff? Is that a joke? O_o

Apparently some Americans think it is their democratic right to feed whatever poisons they like to their children.

Each to their own. :shrug: