Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 9:17 am

Hi:

I had a question about getting firm with pets that belong to other people when they do something bothers me. Is there an applied rule in place due to pet owners doing things a certain way or are other people just being ridiculous about the whole thing?

If it is, what do I do?

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 11:44 am

In my experience, pets usually only take disciplining from their owners, so you're pretty much outta luck unless you tell your issue to the pet owner (and even then, there's still the owner's discretion).

Then I have done my job

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2013, 11:49 am

I don't think it's really anyone but the owner's place to decide how an animal is raised or disciplined. If, say, a dog isn't trained to not steal food and doesn't respond to commands, all you can really do is guard your food or push it away if it tries to take from your plate.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 12:05 pm

If their pet is in my yard, then a stream of water from the hose is sufficient.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 12:39 pm

I have no interest in other peoples animals. But if they can't discipline them by themselves they really shouldn't own one.

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2013, 12:48 pm

babybird wrote:
I have no interest in other peoples animals. But if they can't discipline them by themselves they really shouldn't own one.

I know more than a few people with small dogs who are most likely going to wind up having scalding hot water spilled on them or an oven door hit them on the head someday from playing in the kitchen. Compare to my sister's dog who sat outside the kitchen and waited for you.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 4:35 pm

The reason it is so confusing to me is because I have had a set of mixed messages from different owners.

One one hand, I go over to someone's house and their dog will be bothersome and they will tell to give the dog a command.

For instance: I knew a couple who had dogs and if you went into the kitchen, they instructed you to say "Boogie." That if you wanted them to leave you alone.
-Then another friend of mine had a dog who would beg for food and I was told to look her in the eye and say "Leave it!"

So I don't always pick up when it is okay to discipline a pet of someone else due to the confusion above.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 6:46 pm

I would never ever discipline someone else's pet unless a.) it was a pet I'd gotten to know for quite some time, or b.) I was directly instructed to under a specific circumstance.

joejoe1298
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Aug 2013, 8:18 pm

I just put up with their pet. I might say "no" if their pet is doing something that I do not like. I also try to get along with their pet.

EmberEyes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2013, 8:46 pm

I don't think it's appropriate to dicipline another persons pets randomly.
However, if someone comes into my home with a dog who starts jumping and barking, I will tell the dog to sit, then treat it, and usually it stops jumping and barking at that point. A firm 'no' followed by a treat when it is behaving appropriately is OK, in my home. Not to a random dog on the street.
Usually pet owners don't mind 'light dicipline' (a firm 'no' and 'good dog!' followed by a scratch) for general behaviour such as jumping, chewing on your hand (puppies, anyone?), begging, etc.
People will get upset if you start spraying their pets with water or giving treats, if you don't know what treats they approve of.
At least, in my part of the world, and in my experience.