Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 9:30 pm

All right I'm NOT good at Math, but I am good at building things with my hands, with and without instruction manuals.(I have an imagination). I was wondering what type of Engineering would I be good at(side hobby, not for a living!)? Just to specify, I am going to join my college's Computer and Engineering Club IF I can.

ParaSait
Raven
Raven

02 Aug 2013, 9:38 pm

I have a real knack for computer programming and I love engineering problems, but I'm fairly bad at plain math. :D
I don't know... I have a feeling there's not a big connection between math skills and programming/engineering skills. Both stem from logic, but they're still very different things, so from own experience I'd say don't worry about the math thing too much and go ahead... if it really interests you, you're far more likely to be(come) good at it anyway.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 9:41 pm

Sounds like Mechanical Engineering, or one of its related fields, might suit you.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 9:47 pm

The world needs plumbers, mechanics and repair people.

Phssthpok
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Aug 2013, 10:44 pm

Getting through an engineering degree without being good at math is an uphill battle. All engineering jobs require a high level of numeracy, most require knowledge of some advanced mathematics. However the people who are good at math are just the ones who have the most dedication and the ones who fail did so because they're lazy. Everyone likes to attribute it to innate ability but 99.9% of the time that's nonsense.

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 11:06 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Sounds like Mechanical Engineering, or one of its related fields, might suit you.

All righty.

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 11:08 pm

ONE of my friends is going into Engineering/repairing airplanes for the Air Force. He's not good at Math either, but yet he got in.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 12:52 am

Keniichi wrote:
All right I'm NOT good at Math, but I am good at building things with my hands, with and without instruction manuals.(I have an imagination). I was wondering what type of Engineering would I be good at(side hobby, not for a living!)? Just to specify, I am going to join my college's Computer and Engineering Club IF I can.

If you aren't good at math, then I would say that no form of engineering would be good for you. Engineering is all about math, and being able to calculate what will happen before it does happen. In pretty much any field of engineering, you're going to be using math all the time. The only real exception is if you go into a management role or something like that. It's difficult to take up engineering as a side hobby, just because learning all of the necessary concepts can take a lot of time (I know people who've been in the field for 50 years and they're still learning new things on a daily basis)

I would say that something like a mechanic sounds more up your alley. No math involved, just a machine, some tools, and your bare hands to work with!

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 6:34 pm

Math can be learned. A lot of the math teachers in high school can't teach math worth sh!t (if you're good at math, you'd rather work with engineering and not teaching, right?), so you might want to check out Khan Academy.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 8:41 am

Keniichi wrote:

Mechanical Engineering or Industrial Design. These are less math-heavy than electrical engineering.

No matter how fancy the optics and the electronics, cogs, levers and gears are where our machines deliver the service.

ruveyn

Dhp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 3:18 pm

Even Civil Engineering would be a good choice (A civil engineer plans out roads and designs the road configuration so that traffic runs smoothly everywhere). Also, if you like designing houses, then Architecture only requires Calculus I. The only other solutions I can think of at the moment is Computer Hardware Engineering; I think you only need Precalculus for that, but you might need Calculus I. Now, for Engineering Technology, or Engineering Technician (one step above an Electronic Technician, where you design test fixtures and design small electric circuits and perhaps more), you might have to go up to Calculus II, but you would be working with engineers. Bio-engineering might at most require Calculus I? I'm not sure about that.