Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Have you ever been bullied for having Asperger's?
Not at all, people just accept it 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Yes, very severely to the point of harassment/assault 52%  52%  [ 43 ]
Yes, but only moderately 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
I hide my Asperger's Syndrome from people 27%  27%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 83

Nira
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jul 2018, 6:29 am

Magna wrote:
In grade school I was very uncoordinated and I walked "pigeon toed". I was teased incessantly for that with kids imitating my walk and laughing. It was hard for me to figure out when/how to kick the ball during the daily kick ball game during recess. The teacher would pick two team captains before lunch/recess and the captains would alternate picking kids for their team until everyone was chosen. Nearly every time I was the last one standing to be chosen with all the girls picked before me. No offense, girls, but being a boy in the 1970's, that was very hard to take.

Yes, it is stupid system how to split children into teams.
I've always been the last one too.
The teacher must see that the same child is chosen every time last. And then NT's have empathy...

Ziemael
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jul 2018, 3:38 pm

For posterity I am going to be blunt. I went through junior high and high school in the late 80s and early 90s. So things were different then. If you do now what I had to do then. You will probably go to jail, spectrum or not. So I am not advocating violence, just want to retell my experience, as many have pointed out AS didn't "exist" then, you just didn't fit in, anywhere, ever. It only really took about half a dozen "random" attacks on my person before I figured out that I couldn't predict when or even understand why people wanted to get horrible and\or violent with me. It was maddening, so I became preemptive. The social system worked the same everywhere I went to school. A group would screw with me. Throw s**t, push, try to dump me in a trash can, whatever, then laugh and cluster whenever possible. So I figured out that (the first time was quite by accidental circumstance) I, after school bumped into ( later I would stalk purposesfully) the one with the biggest mouth, I snapped and hurt him when he was alone, hurt him good so it shows. Then explain calmly that whenever I get harried by the group I know it is his Idea. (Whether or not it was is irrelevant the point is he would become my advocate. The mouthpiece I needed to persuade has buddies to pick another target, for no more context than fear) I shouted that if anyof those people harrass me in anyway I would come after him and him only and next time he will be in the hospital or worse. It worked many times. I to this day still don't know what set them off on me. Sometimes I didn't respond properly or I made no eye contact or made too much in an effort to (look) normal. I went from being called weirdo, freak, robot, cold harded, to psycho, crazy, and future serial killer. But I was just doing what I had to. I seen other kids beat up daily. I refused to be a victim. And my dad teaching me police style Akido really helped. So did I become the bully? Not sure to this day. Those kids who brayed like jack-asses while stealing from me, triping me, and telking jokes that just went over my head, would become crying sobbing wrecks covered in mud and blood when they get hit in the face the 5th time while on their backs in the rocks of a gutter. Then they still try to look soo cool the next day. But I would get left alone.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2018, 8:14 pm

Ziemael wrote:
For posterity I am going to be blunt. I went through junior high and high school in the late 80s and early 90s. So things were different then. If you do now what I had to do then. You will probably go to jail, spectrum or not. So I am not advocating violence, just want to retell my experience, as many have pointed out AS didn't "exist" then, you just didn't fit in, anywhere, ever. It only really took about half a dozen "random" attacks on my person before I figured out that I couldn't predict when or even understand why people wanted to get horrible and\or violent with me. It was maddening, so I became preemptive. The social system worked the same everywhere I went to school. A group would screw with me. Throw s**t, push, try to dump me in a trash can, whatever, then laugh and cluster whenever possible. So I figured out that (the first time was quite by accidental circumstance) I, after school bumped into ( later I would stalk purposesfully) the one with the biggest mouth, I snapped and hurt him when he was alone, hurt him good so it shows. Then explain calmly that whenever I get harried by the group I know it is his Idea. (Whether or not it was is irrelevant the point is he would become my advocate. The mouthpiece I needed to persuade has buddies to pick another target, for no more context than fear) I shouted that if anyof those people harrass me in anyway I would come after him and him only and next time he will be in the hospital or worse. It worked many times. I to this day still don't know what set them off on me. Sometimes I didn't respond properly or I made no eye contact or made too much in an effort to (look) normal. I went from being called weirdo, freak, robot, cold harded, to psycho, crazy, and future serial killer. But I was just doing what I had to. I seen other kids beat up daily. I refused to be a victim. And my dad teaching me police style Akido really helped. So did I become the bully? Not sure to this day. Those kids who brayed like jack-asses while stealing from me, triping me, and telking jokes that just went over my head, would become crying sobbing wrecks covered in mud and blood when they get hit in the face the 5th time while on their backs in the rocks of a gutter. Then they still try to look soo cool the next day. But I would get left alone.

I kinda wish I would have done that back in my school days.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 5:35 pm

Bullied a lot, not due to being autistic but the traits from it for sure.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 5:52 pm

Ziemael wrote:

Thumbs up for Ziemael!

Thank you for describing what it was like for those of us raised in the 70s / 80s, or earlier. I went through the same cycles of bullying as you did although mine was from the insidious, calculating and sly psychology of adolescent and teenaged girls. Their bullying wasn't as physical, but it was fed by whispers, duplicitous gossip and gang-mentality. I learned to retreat and hide in the library, where I secluded myself for every lunch break for seven years across three schools and two continents. The consequences to our mental health are very damaging, but thanks again for being honest. I wish I could have responded the way you did.

Isabella

Spectral Aurtist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2018, 7:40 pm

Ziemael wrote:

This is funny as hell, damn near the same thing I went through. Yeah the 80's were a blast weren't they? Eventually I got left alone and the solution was super weird all it took was making very large knives in metal shop and selling them to the kids who used to beat me up...weird right? Who knew all they wanted was knives?

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2018, 8:18 am

Ziemael wrote:

Not so different from my experience. I was "weird" (no one knew what ASD was then), plus I was a very small kid till about age 15. This was in small-town Texas in the '70s. I soon discovered that the only way to save myself from perpetual bullying was to become the psycho little kid who would fight anyone, no matter now big, never run away, just keep getting up and coming back for more, and even take the offensive on one of the big bullies when circumstances were in my favor. After a little while I got a reputation as the shrimpy little kid not to mess with. I was still a weirdo, but the physical bullying stopped.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 10:19 am

I remember being bullied all throughout the school years and not merely due to being autistic, but having an awkward physical form which also made me the butt of several cruel jokes and torment. These days, I try not to think about it, yet I realize you can never run away from your psychological demons as, I would call them no matter how far you drive,live, etc. It upsets me greatly to see people being bullied in any shape or for regardless of whether someone is autistic not. I'll be brutally honest, that sometimes I wished I could cause supernatural poetic justice on those people;however, I realize that would not only be considered vindictive but, pointless as it would mean sinking to the mindset of a bully and becoming something that is awful. So, I try to always remind people whenever I come across someone whom is autistic or is simply dealing with a bunch of tyrants to never give up and never remain silent,but to make sure you take measures against such.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 2:22 pm

kazanscube wrote:
I remember being bullied all throughout the school years and not merely due to being autistic, but having an awkward physical form which also made me the butt of several cruel jokes and torment. These days, I try not to think about it, yet I realize you can never run away from your psychological demons as, I would call them no matter how far you drive,live, etc. It upsets me greatly to see people being bullied in any shape or for regardless of whether someone is autistic not. I'll be brutally honest, that sometimes I wished I could cause supernatural poetic justice on those people;however, I realize that would not only be considered vindictive but, pointless as it would mean sinking to the mindset of a bully and becoming something that is awful. So, I try to always remind people whenever I come across someone whom is autistic or is simply dealing with a bunch of tyrants to never give up and never remain silent,but to make sure you take measures against such.

Not being able to outrun my memories of bullying has been the story of my life. :(

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 3:11 pm

When the bullying started I went deep into denial about it and just got stranger and stranger. At 28 it all surfaced and took about 10 years to process. Unfortunately ignoring the bullies didn't make them go away, 28 is when I started to stand up to them, some of them had been causing me grief since I was 14.
I look back on it as a prolonged period of gang stalking which continued for half a lifetime. Surprisingly I feel quite contented and don't dwell on it now, at the time I was worried for my life. I guess it was a fun pastime for them and a good opportunity to show off, they really took it all too far though.

Kovu
Raven
Raven

21 Jul 2018, 7:23 pm

Some of you guys are alright, don't go to school tomorrow.

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jul 2018, 1:03 pm

I was bullied for my nine first school years (age 6 to 15).
I did not get my diagnose until long after i'd graduated so I cannot say that it was specifically because of my aspergers although the reason I was the way I was socially in school was of course because of that.

At first I was able to stay strong regardless of the bullying as I enjoyed my own company and didn't mind being alone but it puts a strain on you emotionally when you everyday experience being laughed at, asked questions about why you are the way you are that you cannot answer and get yelled at to go bother someone else if you try to make friends as well as teachers telling you to be more like the other kids instead of trying to fix things

I was never physically bullied though it was all psychological. I sometimes felt like the girls in class would mess with my head just for fun. They could treat me as one of them one day and be super friendly and want me to go with them to places etc. then the next day when I approached them happily they would tell me to leave them alone and stop following them etc. and give me evil stares. Made no sense to me it just made me really sad and confused.

I had bad luck with the people I ended up being grouped with during those years in school. No one else ever treated me badly and I still don't experience bullying anymore to this day although I am aware that I am an odd person mostly in how introverted I am and how quiet I am as the norm is that you talk to people otherwise you're weird and creepy. I still struggle with accepting myself, even though the people I meet nowadays say there's nothing wrong with me. Bullying really leaves a mark on your soul....

la_fenkis
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 3:18 pm

I consider it being bullied. By everyone. By humanity itself.

They diagnosed me in infancy and the 90's saw the beginning of the primary school AS programs in my area. Still untrained teachers, but now you were singled out to them.

I had a good para for a while but in 5th grade they replaced her with someone who gave no respect and demanded compliance. I never responded well to being commanded to do things; I was never a tool to be used without explanation, but that's how humans run things. They wound up throwing me in seclusion, and did so again and repeatedly as my non-compliance turned into defensive violent outbursts (I wonder how that happened).

In the process of carrying me screaming through the halls they also managed to bring my worst fears of alienation from my classmates to fruition. The fears that were gotten from them telling me that people would reject me if they knew I was autistic, and from watching the other children make fun of any visibly disabled person they saw (one of them had the same first name as my middle, so I didn't tell anyone my middle name for more than a decade).

My parents eventually removed me from the school when they were clued into what was going on.

Middle and high schools saw me alternate between taunted and ignored. That dichotomy progressively engineered for me the choice to become relatively invisible. Then I just listened, and oh the pictures their half-acknowledged words and tongue-in-cheek jokes painted of them.

Adults told me that people would use knowledge of my autism against me, and then they themselves showed me what that might look like. They demonstrated the cruelty of the reality their species goes about implementing every day and have systematically convinced me to want absolutely no part of it (besides having a hand in destroying it).

qwerwe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2018, 4:22 pm

superaliengirl wrote:
I was bullied for my nine first school years (age 6 to 15).
I did not get my diagnose until long after i'd graduated so I cannot say that it was specifically because of my aspergers although the reason I was the way I was socially in school was of course because of that.

At first I was able to stay strong regardless of the bullying as I enjoyed my own company and didn't mind being alone but it puts a strain on you emotionally when you everyday experience being laughed at, asked questions about why you are the way you are that you cannot answer and get yelled at to go bother someone else if you try to make friends as well as teachers telling you to be more like the other kids instead of trying to fix things

I was never physically bullied though it was all psychological. I sometimes felt like the girls in class would mess with my head just for fun. They could treat me as one of them one day and be super friendly and want me to go with them to places etc. then the next day when I approached them happily they would tell me to leave them alone and stop following them etc. and give me evil stares. Made no sense to me it just made me really sad and confused.

I had bad luck with the people I ended up being grouped with during those years in school. No one else ever treated me badly and I still don't experience bullying anymore to this day although I am aware that I am an odd person mostly in how introverted I am and how quiet I am as the norm is that you talk to people otherwise you're weird and creepy. I still struggle with accepting myself, even though the people I meet nowadays say there's nothing wrong with me. Bullying really leaves a mark on your soul....

It's almost like I would write it.

Richard_the_ Dogged
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Nov 2018, 6:39 pm

Well, this is a complex thing. So many people have submitted to the white coats and the parents, putting out the idea that there is this autism-Asperger's.

So to answer your question, I need to say more.

First of all, in elementary school I was an often target for bullying, and beyond that too. It greatly distressed me.
But the idea that that means I have some kind of a problem is preposterous.

Second, it is only since about the mid-90's that they have been accessing people in the United States as having Asperger's Syndrome. So I am far too old for childhood assessment. And as far as adult assessment, I would no more cooperate with that than I would cooperate with Josef Mengele.

So no one has ever bullied me because some piece of paper says I am ASD.

Now online, a lot of people say that I have ASD, and they bully me. But it has no real basis. They are just saying that the ways I post and the things I am interested in are different from them.

Some people really try to push it, and I make them understand that they can only get away with that online, face to face, white coat, medical diplomas and licenses on the wall, what ever. There would be severe and immediate consequences for them.

I say this is how one has to respond to it, just like being called the N-word, or something like that. It is actually even more harmful. Need to respond at once, and make the party understand that that kind of stuff will not be tolerated.

So have I been subjected to any kind of special bullying as an adult? No I have not. But this is because I would not stand for it. But this does not mean life has been easy for me, quite the contrary.

The only people trying to label me that way and bully me are online bullies. And on some forums, the worst of the bullies are the ones who have moderator powers.

Richard

Autism-Aspergers is just a concept invented to legitimate the abuse of children and adults. Neuro-Diversity is just a way of pleading for pity. Everytime we endorse these concepts, we are further maginalizing ourselves, and encouraging child abuse. Autism-Asperger's could never even exist without Nazi Social Darwinism and Eugenics. So I no longer talk about these, I talk about lived experience, often the experience of being othered and then persecuted. I call this experience of having intelligence, insight, intuition, and mystical abilities, the Shamanic Experience. And those of us who live it need to start banding together and protecting ourselves, each other, and the children of today. Beautiful Planet, just a rotten economic and political system.

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

23 Nov 2018, 2:28 pm

I voted that I "hid" it, but that's only true in one sense. I didn't tell people about it, so they didn't know that's what was wrong with me, but they very clearly knew I was "weird." There were some kids who were mean to me because of it, but the troubling thing is, the bullying mostly came from people I thought were my friends. It was sort of a repeating pattern - I would have a number of friends and acquaintances, then some kid would show up at the school who the other kids would stay away from. I would feel bad for that kid and befriend him. The thing I didn't get is that the other kids stayed away because there was something wrong with them - I suspect these kids I felt bad for were rejected by the others because they were mean, manipulative, narcissistic, or any number of other issues. I didn't sense those things about them. So I'd spend years basically being abused by these little jerks.