Getting "Goosebumps" in Music/Singing/Performances

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tomzy95
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2013, 2:19 am

Does anyone here ever experience "Goosbumps" if they hear something they really like? Could be a vocal performance, or a really good song. I don't, i can like alot of songs and find myself going back to them, but the goosebumps thing never occurs, is this a AS thing?

Random42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2013, 7:41 am

I love music and have never gotten goosebumps from any musical performance. I'm beginning to wonder if some people actually experience that or if it is an idiom.

AQ: 39
Aspie-quiz AS:154 NT:50
RAADS-R: 194
EQ:15 SQ:114

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 8:12 am

I think this issue of people with ASD and goosebumps is very interesting indeed.

My personal experience is that I am often flooded with sensation and emotion when listening to music or touched deeply by another persons suffering.

I often feel that in the same way there is a world of difference between those with classic autism and those with AS, I strongly sence there is an equally large distance that separates the logic & literal minded left brain dominant Aspie from that of the emotional metaphorical right brained Aspire.

Consequently I feel it natural that more people with right brained dominance within the spectrum would naturally experience emotional surges and goosebumps than left brained dominant aspies.

However, I would be delighted to be proved wrong on this, consequently I welcome any stereotypical left brained dominant aspie to share with us their goosebumps stories.

For example, are there any conventional aspies who get tingles up their spine ( goosebumps) playing computer games or whilst being totally absorbed in their special interest, like if your a trainspotter and you see the train of your dreams?

I love watching birds, collecting information and knowledge on every aspect of birds. But for me details are just a means whereby I can be more intimate with the creatures. When I see a rare or even a simple common bird its beauty can make me cry and I can be filled with goosebumps.

Last edited by quaker on 03 Aug 2013, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 8:32 am

Random42 wrote:
I love music and have never gotten goosebumps from any musical performance. I'm beginning to wonder if some people actually experience that or if it is an idiom.

It's quite real. I sometimes get it from music and sometimes from moving films. Different people are different I don't think this is an ASD specific phenomenon because I have read about it. Should it ever happen to you, you will know it instantly. There is nothing subtle about it. It's odd to see your skin all bumpy like that.

Musicgirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 9:42 am

Yes, I do sometimes. Music is very moving, especially Christain music or when someone has an unbelievably beautiful voice.

Jonov
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2013, 10:08 am

Certain piano music can do that for me especially Chopin, its like I ride the waves of sound in my mind like a surfer, it sort of causes a feeling of intense happiness, and I can block out my busy brain for a while, as if my mind and the music flow together in perfect harmony.
Its sort of a combination of Goosebumps and a chill running down my spine, and sometimes suddenly a tear runs down my face, so music definitely triggers some physical emotions for me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jaMwNwMqI4[/youtube]

^this piece can trigger it every time when I close my eyes listening to it

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 10:24 am

I think it's called frission and I get it a lot. It can come from the content of the lyrics or the song itself. If the lyrics are emotional or meaningful enough in an abstract way I get goosebumps and I feel funny in the head just pondering it. The melody doesn't give me the same reaction as often as the lyrics do but it does happen sometimes. The right melody can help when combined with lyrics.

I also get this feeling from heavily emotional and/or climactic scenes on TV or in movies. If someone says something meaningful in a poetic way it can give me the feeling as well.

ParaSait
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2013, 10:30 am

quaker wrote:
However, I would be delighted to be proved wrong on this, consequently I welcome any stereotypical left brained dominant aspie to share with us their goosebumps stories.

For example, are there any conventional aspies who get tingles up their spine ( goosebumps) playing computer games or whilst being totally absorbed in their special interest, like if your a trainspotter and you see the train of your dreams?

I for one am a "walking computer" type aspie, and music & video games can give me very strong emotions. Music can send shivers all over my body and sometimes makes me want to shed tears a bit. Video games can make me cry like a little girl.
But I am still a very logical and systematic thinker. I guess this whole deal is simply not an either/or thing.

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 10:34 am

I agree. .......nothing is a easy as either or........or black n white.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 10:39 am

Definitely not unique to ASDs, but I do get this fairly often

Jonov
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2013, 10:44 am

jamieevren1210 wrote:
Definitely not unique to ASDs, but I do get this fairly often

If it was an AS only thing we wouldn't have so much music today :)

I do think being overly sensitive to sound can enhance the effects of music to a certain extend though.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 10:45 am

I too get goosebumps while listening to a really good piece of classical music. As a kid all my classmates used to listen to pop music but I used to listen to classical music and had a collection of vinyl LPs of Mozart, Brahms, Beethoven etc. The strangest effect listening to good music had on me was making me need a pee! For some unknown reason the more I enjoy music the more my kidneys get to work. Good music is like a diuretic :lol: I've mentioned this to one or two NTs before but they think I'm crazy.

ChristinaTheHobbit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Aug 2013, 2:14 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I too get goosebumps while listening to a really good piece of classical music. As a kid all my classmates used to listen to pop music but I used to listen to classical music and had a collection of vinyl LPs of Mozart, Brahms, Beethoven etc.

I am this way as well. While listening to classical music, moving Celtic music, and occasionally folk music that reminds me of home I will get goosebumps quite easily. Also, my music tastes are vastly different from most of my peers. I have a great love for the King Singers and my collection of vinyl records vastly outnumber my CD collection even though vinyl albums were in my parents generation and not mine.

AAA- The androgynous and asexual autist

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 3:58 pm

I don't know if I have actually had goosebumps but some people have told me that they get that. I get very moved sometimes though and I usually cry if I am that moved or touched.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 4:06 pm

quaker wrote:

Consequently I feel it natural that more people with right brained dominance within the spectrum would naturally experience emotional surges and goosebumps than left brained dominant aspies.

I am wondering about this too. I am predominantly right brained and I get huge huge floods of emotions that can cause me to have meltdowns sometimes. Do predominantly left brained Aspies and Auties feel these like this as well or are your emotions less "out of control?" I say that because I can't think of a better way to describe it. When I get that way it's like an avalanche and sometimes the only way it settles is with a meltdown.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 4:09 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I too get goosebumps while listening to a really good piece of classical music. As a kid all my classmates used to listen to pop music but I used to listen to classical music and had a collection of vinyl LPs of Mozart, Brahms, Beethoven etc. The strangest effect listening to good music had on me was making me need a pee! For some unknown reason the more I enjoy music the more my kidneys get to work. Good music is like a diuretic :lol: I've mentioned this to one or two NTs before but they think I'm crazy.
Music makes you Pee? I have never heard of that before. That is interesting. Maybe it's because it relaxes you.