Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

vaudevillep
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Aug 2013, 2:30 pm

Does anyone have epilepsy? I know some say there is a correlation between Asperger’s/Autism and Epilepsy or at least having Asperger’s or Autism may increase you changes of having Epilepsy in the future, but that really isn’t the point of the post.

I more want to discuss living with Epilepsy and Asperger’s.

For me living with Asperger’s is hard enough but adding Epilepsy makes it even worse.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 2:39 pm

I have epilepsy, but I take medication for it. I'm able to play video games and video games are my hobby and passion.

Does your epilepsy get the way of your hobbies and every day life?

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 2:46 pm

yes,have had mine since a young toddler,have got multiple forms of it;the worst being status epilepticus and cluster tonic clonic, am on the maximum doseage allowed of tegretol slow release and prescribed PRN benzos for status/multiples if it doesnt stop.
have got abscence seizures the most;get them multiple times a day most days-they include a lot of twisting in the arms that can be very painful and difficult to use afterwards so theyre probably another form of it that have never been caught under EEG.

am personaly not bothered-not looked at it in negative ways before because have never known any different,some of us just have more complex difficulties than others thats life.

Quote:
I have epilepsy, but I take medication for it. I'm able to play video games and video games are my hobby and passion.

most people dont have photosensitive epilepsy,they test for it during basic EEG.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 4:01 pm

I was 8 years old when I was diagnosed with Epilepsy. I take medication for it and I don't allow my epilepsy to get in the way of my every-day life, though I always wear a medical ID wherever I go.

vaudevillep
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Aug 2013, 4:56 pm

My meds keep mine controlled for the most part. I've had a few breakthrough seizures this year though.

I have to take several different anti-convulsive meds, and the cognitive side effects are tough deal with but its better than the alternative.

I wear a medical ID bracelet too. I highly recommend it to anyone with seizures. Before I wore one I was in public and I had cluster seizures back to back to back and I was out of it cognitively and so I was rushed to the hospital. They called a Code Fast thinking I was having a stroke and did a bunch of test, Mri, CT, EKG etc.

If I was wearing an ID bracelet they wouldn't have done all those days; which cost me $1400 with insurance.

My wife worries about the side effects of Asperger's on my seizures though; since almost everything in life gives me anxiety, and anxiety "can" exacerbate my seizures.

I was only diagnosed a little over a year ago and I've had to switch my meds several times due to the side effects, so that's probably why she worries about it more than she should.

More than what I have to deal with, I feel worse for my wife. Its not easy living with me as it is and now she has to deal with my seizures.

This site really helps me though. I joined last year but only the last month or so have I been actively going on everyday and I can honesty say that my anxiety has gone down.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 6:02 pm

I had epilepsy as a child. I was given an EEG when I was about 11 and it came back normal. No-one can tell me whether I've still got it. At least if I've still got it, I'm not vomiting. (which is dangerous)

flyingninja123
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Apr 2014, 4:01 pm

I also have epilepsy. But I deal with it one day at a time.