Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 3:32 pm

Things I know I am good at:

I am good at lifting heavy things and I rarely get winded. When it comes to physical work I feel comfortable. Not much talking, just moving, and finishing up.

I tend to the neighbors above average size/quality garden and make sure everything is in tip top shape. I am held to high sandards as my neighbor is unofficially a master gardener. I do this because I want to learn.

For about half of a high school year I did a job experience program while I was in special ed. I basically worked as a stocker for medical supplies. The job was fairly quiet, my team was easy to work with, and when people were around they were nice and pleasant.

I am a mediocre cook at best, but I know more than just frying an egg and I am eager to learn to be a better cook.

What else... Okay, I am told by some that I am very understanding and non judgmental. I believe this is true for the most part, however, I do judge but I try to judge only when necessary. These are supposedly good people skills, in situations where people need help for instance, in Autism/mental health group centers. Dunno if this one is true, but I thought I'd attempt to see what others think. I am good at helping people who I form a bond with. For job experience, I was told requesting intern status at an Autism/mental health help facility may be a good idea.

TOO LONG DIDN'T READ SUMMARY- I'm good at lifting stuff, obsessed with gardening, did some stocking work and was okay with it and did a good job, can cook some foods and make them taste not like butt, and I have an understanding and non judgmental demeanor.

BigSister
Toucan
Toucan

03 Aug 2013, 4:15 pm

Could you work at a Lowe's/Home Depot/whatever you have in your area in the garden department? Or work at a local plant nursery? It sounds like both would let you lift things and work with plants.

Also, I like that Too Long Didn't Read thing (although I read your whole post) - my posts tend to be really long, so I may adopt that myself. :)

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 6:48 pm

BigSister had some good ideas. In addition to Home Depot/Lowe's and local plant nurseries, there are the plant nurseries in places like WalMart and Fred Meyer's. All supermarkets also have produce sections so that's another option.

Here are some links to local places in my neck of the woods.

http://westseattlenursery.com/

http://citypeoples.com/gardenstore/

http://magnoliagarden.com/

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 2:15 pm

Thank you BigSister and Redrobin62. These are all great suggestions and probably the best and personally most preferred options for me at this moment in time. I can't believe I didn't think of them myself! *Slapping my forehead now, doi...

I am officially disabled, but would like to get out there and do some work, so I can be more independent. I wonder how I go about being able to get work of my choosing or preference while still receiving certain benefits like medical benefits. I guess that is my next question, and perhaps that's for another thread, I dunno.

BigSister wrote:
Could you work at a Lowe's/Home Depot/whatever you have in your area in the garden department? Or work at a local plant nursery? It sounds like both would let you lift things and work with plants.

Also, I like that Too Long Didn't Read thing (although I read your whole post) - my posts tend to be really long, so I may adopt that myself. :)

redrobin62 wrote:
BigSister had some good ideas. In addition to Home Depot/Lowe's and local plant nurseries, there are the plant nurseries in places like WalMart and Fred Meyer's. All supermarkets also have produce sections so that's another option.

Here are some links to local places in my neck of the woods.

http://westseattlenursery.com/

http://citypeoples.com/gardenstore/

http://magnoliagarden.com/

BigSister
Toucan
Toucan

04 Aug 2013, 4:32 pm

Quote:
Thank you BigSister and Redrobin62. These are all great suggestions and probably the best and personally most preferred options for me at this moment in time. I can't believe I didn't think of them myself! *Slapping my forehead now, doi...

Don't worry about it - sometimes it takes an outside perspective to see things. :) That's one of the reasons that I love forums - there are loads of perspectives here!

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the medical benefits, part - wish I could help you there. Good luck with everything! :)

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 4:38 pm

Pondering wrote:
I am good at lifting heavy things and I rarely get winded. When it comes to physical work I feel comfortable. Not much talking, just moving, and finishing up.

I tend to the neighbors above average size/quality garden and make sure everything is in tip top shape. I am held to high sandards as my neighbor is unofficially a master gardener. I do this because I want to learn.

It sounds like you would do well in landscaping -- hauling stuff like trees and turf and rocks and tools, digging, trimming, mowing (I think), planting and other misc. gardening-type-stuff.

Love transcends all.

DizzleJWizzle
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Aug 2013, 6:46 pm

youtube + twitch.tv + any job (unless those business fire you for no reason - then you got a bone to pick on them ) - like not shopping there anymore -harming them... see what happens when the consumer quits.... staples is an example... charge 200 dollars to update you computer. god that is stupid... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 6:50 pm

Construction? You can make a decent living if you can find places they are building. The people who built my driveway where paid well.

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 6:50 am

Source: The Internet
Lab technician (You won't have to talk too much. You will be doing hands-on work most of the time.)
Food technician (You will have to remain detail-oriented at all times. You won't have to talk too much. You will be doing hands-on work most of the time.)
Process technician (Petrochemicals) (You will have to work in a team. You mustn't be afraid of heights because you will have to climb ladders fairly often. You will be doing hands-on work most of the time.)
Process technician (Pharmaceuticals) (You will have to work in a team. You should possess excellent hand-eye coordination as well as psychomotor skills. You will be doing hands-on work most of the time.)
Process technician (Instrumentation) (You will have to work in a team. You mustn't be afraid of heights because you will have to climb ladders fairly often. You will be doing hands-on work most of the time.)
Florist (You will have lots of fun designing floral arrangements so as to satisfy your clients.)
Camera operator (As a TV/movie crew member, you are in charge of filming various scenes.)
Production assistant (You will be managing various productions such as concerts and plays while remaining stationed backstage. You might have to handle the sound system or the lighting system. Alternatively, you might be in charge of designing props or even the entire stage.)

JasonO
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Aug 2013, 2:23 pm

UPS.