25 Jan 2007, 10:39 pm

1. Bloated bureaucracy
2. Geared to Lo Functioning
3. NO Incentives for Centers to Improve Lives
4. Kept in same Job
5. NO Career Testing
(even by Rehab State CA).
6. Inable to change with times.
7. Cant seperate Hi Function adults vs Low func.
8. Cant ID those with Dev Disorder BUT have NT Lives IE
drive, work etc.
9. Agencies tied down by Regional rules
10. Agencies cant Act.
11. NOT keeping pace.
12. NOT Improving Lives
13. Agencies take in Money BUT we Clients Lose.
14. Cant use CA Tax Bd for hiring IE use business address alone for seeking employment in CA.
Wow.
15. NO Innovation, Creative thinking.
Overworked staff.
Months to get response if any.

Must we SUE to Get Rights???
Yes this in the CA with Lanteman System.

Comments.
ideas.

When contacting CA Regional, State Rehab use term
OUTCOMES in messages sent.
(email, faxes, PO mail).
Keep documents.
Scan SENT box in emails.

Now should I dump CA Regional???
Ideas

Open to those Out of State whove Left CA for other issues.
Your Exp Yes tell me.
Otherwise those IN CA State.
Anyone who knows Regional Centers, policies.
Even Handbook issued does NOT denote OUR Rights.

Id like the Regional CTR to do these things:
1. Voc Testing
2. Career Testing
3. Dyxterity Testing
Combine Results.
Find Jobs, Careers based on Results.

Thats ALL.

Is that TOO Hard to do ???

Yes in CA.
Unless otherwise Proven.

Need addresses, emails, PO mail too.

Those tests can apply to ANY CANDIDATES.
NO exceptions, any age.

Ideas???
Dreams
Experiences.

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 11:33 pm

Hug.

I don't know anything about CA Regional but CA gov seemed completely distorted. I dont know if it got any better with gov swartzenegger.

chin up-I think what you are doing is great.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2007, 2:23 am

I didn't understand a word of that. Apparently its a California thing. Can someone translate?

Aspie13
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Apr 2007, 10:17 pm

Get the hell out of dodge. They are not doing the advocating they are supposed to be doing and it is a hell hole. The justice system is f****d up too!

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2007, 10:29 pm

The Governator tried to repeal the Lanterman Act.

I was raised in Northern CA and returned when my son was 4-6. The services were a joke. They've got plenty of $$ and services but not appropriate for certain issues.
The best thing they did for us was get us a free diagnosis with the MIND Institute. The respite (babysitting) was virtually nonexistent, the therapies wholly inappropriate for my son and the response time was awful.
I'm in AZ and we're right in the middle of the application process, but we're thinking about stopping it. They are telling us to say that my son is lower functioning than he is so he can be eligible for $$$ (ALTCCS). So, the state can acquire federal monies and we don't get any services (other than subpar babysitters?).

In CA, don't the Area Boards do the work training stuff? I know they hold workshops and deal with adults. I didn't think Asperger's was covered by the Lanterman Act? I know parents of Aspies have a hard time with IEPs there.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 3:32 am

I completely understand, especially as the Regional Center I use was recently involved in a class-action lawsuit with parents of Asperger's children because they wouldn't take them on as they weren't low-functioning enough. I've had to deal with a major SNAFU with the Department of Rehab here lately, no wonder friends of mine with disabilities rant all the time about that agency in particular. As much as I love California, I think the services for those with disabilities are a joke, especially if you're HFA or an Aspie. :shameonyou:

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 3:57 am

You have actual services in California, then you should stay. The grass is NOT greener on the other side of the fence. Having lived in CA my entire adult life until recently, I can tell you that it is the best state in the US if you are not squarely in the normal spectrum. They are incredibly liberal and generous regarding human/social laws. Don't knock it till you've left, because you will regret it.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 10:45 am

I depends on where you live in CA. It's a big state and it's not very liberal after all. My husband was thoroughly rejected in the town I was from. I was happy with the schools but knew it would be a fight the whole time. Like I said, the Regional Center had no appropriate services for my son.
I'm not saying the grass is greener in AZ (we don't irrigate) but we didn't move here for the services.