Page 1 of 17 [ 257 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

BigSister
Toucan
Toucan

04 Aug 2013, 9:13 am

Does anyone know of any information, papers, websites, or other resources about neurotypical privilege? It strikes me as a very real thing and I want to refer others to resources to introduce them to the subject, but I'm not finding much of anything... :( Thanks!

Edited to add: [I think this is probably the best for giving an idea of what I'm trying to convey for anyone just coming in...would recommend at least skimming.] The ever-expanding list of neurotypical privilege: http://aspergersquare8.blogspot.com/200 ... pical.html

Last edited by BigSister on 04 Aug 2013, 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 9:24 am

What is neurotypical privilege?

BigSister
Toucan
Toucan

04 Aug 2013, 9:35 am

See, that I've been trying to get a clear understanding of, too. (Which is why I need resources!! !!) With what little I found, it sounds like it's the societal privileges that people get just because they're neurotypical, which exceeds those of neurodiverse groups. It's not something people realize that they have. I think an example could be that I, as a mostly NT, can go out in public and not have people stare at me (for overt stimming, etc...people find lots of reasons to stare). No one treats me like a child or tries to cure me or anything like that. That's my general understanding, and it does seem like something that actually very much exists. (Although others may prefer a different label?) I think that basically if you take the idea of white privilege and replace white with neurotypical and color with neurodiverse, you'd get the general idea:

"White privilege (or white skin privilege) refers to the set of societal privileges that white people are argued to benefit from beyond those commonly experienced by people of color in the same social, political, or economic spaces (nation, community, workplace, income, etc.).[note 1] The term denotes both obvious and less obvious unspoken advantages that white individuals may not recognize they have, which distinguishes it from overt bias or prejudice.[1] These include cultural affirmations of one's own worth; greater presumed social status; and freedom to move, buy, work, play, and speak freely.[2] The concept of white privilege also implies the right to assume the universality of one's own experiences, marking others as different or exceptional while perceiving oneself as normal."

I'm not a scholar in this area or anything - just read a blog post and it kind of seemed like it had some very good points and I want some more resources, not only for myself, but also for others (once I verify this).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 10:40 am

BigSister wrote:
Neurotypical Privilege ... the societal privileges that people get just because they're neurotypical...

You mean like education, employment, good credit, houses, cars, and other big-dollar items?

Sorry, kid, but these are things that people earn - they are not privileges. It isn't as if neurotypicals have a secret handshake or invisible tattoo that automatically grants them things that Autistics have to struggle for. If you're talking about being able to socialize and enjoy life-long relationships, this is just something that most neurotypicals are simply better at than most Autistics. It's like saying that the talent of a neurotypical violin virtuoso is a privilege when compared to my feeble fiddle talent (which I've had to work at).

There are no such special privileges.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 10:43 am

I don't think there's such a thing as neurotypical privilege. There's able privilege and that would probably include what you're trying to label as neurotypical privilege. It's all just able privilege. There's no need for the term 'neurotypical privilege'. It's redundant.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 11:03 am

BigSister wrote:
With what little I found, it sounds like it's the societal privileges that people get just because they're neurotypical, which exceeds those of neurodiverse groups. It's not something people realize that they have. I think an example could be that I, as a mostly NT, can go out in public and not have people stare at me (for overt stimming, etc...people find lots of reasons to stare). No one treats me like a child or tries to cure me or anything like that. That's my general understanding, and it does seem like something that actually very much exists. (Although others may prefer a different label?) I think that basically if you take the idea of white privilege and replace white with neurotypical and color with neurodiverse, you'd get the general idea:

I don't find people staring at me very often. My stims and compulsions are discreet. But I've noticed that people will stare at someone who is dressed in a flamboyant way or is being loud.
I think neurotypical privilege is just life. People who are better at functioning in accord with societal norms will do better. Privilege suggests that they are elevated for inappropriate reasons, but this isn't the case here.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 12:18 pm

Fnord wrote:
BigSister wrote:
Neurotypical Privilege ... the societal privileges that people get just because they're neurotypical...

You mean like education, employment, good credit, houses, cars, and other big-dollar items?

Sorry, kid, but these are things that people earn - they are not privileges. It isn't as if neurotypicals have a secret handshake or invisible tattoo that automatically grants them things that Autistics have to struggle for. If you're talking about being able to socialize and enjoy life-long relationships, this is just something that most neurotypicals are simply better at than most Autistics. It's like saying that the talent of a neurotypical violin virtuoso is a privilege when compared to my feeble fiddle talent (which I've had to work at).

There are no such special privileges.

I would have to say as far as education and employment go. I do believe there is neurotypical privilege at play here. but for everything else. it's earned.

Phssthpok
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Aug 2013, 12:32 pm

Apparently the OP has never heard of silicon valley.

BigSister
Toucan
Toucan

04 Aug 2013, 12:56 pm

Thanks for all the responses!

Here are the resources I'd found so far which may better explain what I'm talking about (not houses, cars, etc, though, although I agree with LupaLuna about education and employment being potential privileges) - they're not very many and they're all rather informal, which is why I was looking for something more specific/formal as far as resources go:

I'm not sick: a rant about neurotypical privilege: http://feministaspie.wordpress.com/2013 ... privilege/
Neurotypical privileges tumblr: http://neurotypicalprivilege.tumblr.com/
The ever-expanding list of neurotypical privilege: http://aspergersquare8.blogspot.com/200 ... pical.html [Edited to add: I think this is probably the best for giving an idea of what I'm trying to convey...would recommend at least skimming.]
--- Reflections on the above list: http://biodiverseresistance.blogspot.co ... klist.html

It's just that they're rather informal (not the kind of thing I can really refer people to and have them appreciate/understand) and the idea of neurotypical privilege isn't well defined within - there are only examples given. It struck me that they had a point...just not a well defined one. I figured you guys might know more or have more resources. :)

I had not heard of able privilege before, but it makes complete sense (and it's really surprising in retrospect that I heard of neurotypical privilege before able privilege). It strikes me that neurotypical privilege might be a bit more specific, maybe like a subgroup? But I'll do more research on able privilege and see if that would apply better.

Thoughts? I did want to thank everyone so far, not only for your feedback, but also for being very understanding and nice even if you thought I was saying something dumb. :)

Last edited by BigSister on 04 Aug 2013, 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2013, 1:11 pm

Here are some examples of able privilege. Neurotypical privilege is just one part of able privilege as mentioned before.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/03/19- ... privilege/
http://exposingableism.wordpress.com/20 ... checklist/
http://thatcrazycrippledchick.blogspot. ... klist.html

Also here is a list of ways in which people can be privileged.
http://privilege101.tumblr.com/post/598 ... n-progress

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 1:16 pm

The idea of "NT privilege" sounds to me like someone havign a rant, the problem I see is that everyone who has a chip on their sholder will hold the view that some group that they are not a member of his some privileges that they do not have.

After we have had white privilege, black privilege, gay privilege, straight privilege, male privilege, female privilege, jock privilege, NT privilege, AS privilege, TS privilege etc etc then the whole world will be judged by someone to be in one of these blessed groups. This will do no good at all and will just waste everyone's time.

Well that is my point of view, if you have nothing better to do with your life / time than to moan about privilege then please feel free to do so, but please can I not have to pay attention to you.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Phssthpok
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Aug 2013, 1:20 pm

Don't kids these days still have to read Harrison Bergeron? It looks like they might have taken it out of the curriculum.

BigSister
Toucan
Toucan

04 Aug 2013, 1:22 pm

Phssthpok wrote:
Don't kids these days still have to read Harrison Bergeron? It looks like they might have taken it out of the curriculum.

Never read it...or even heard of it. Which is surprising, because Google revealed it's dystopian, and (as strange as it may sound) I love reading dystopian literature. I'll check it out. :)

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 3:16 pm

See this is one of the reasons we are made fun of across the Internet.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 5:02 pm

TheHaywire wrote:
See this is one of the reasons we are made fun of across the Internet.

Exactly. Not to mention the fact that all of the "Resources" so far cited are merely personal blogs and op/ed pieces.

Annaliina
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Aug 2013, 5:08 pm

Phssthpok wrote:
Apparently the OP has never heard of silicon valley.

I keep hearing this.

What is silicon valley?