The beautiful side of noticing details

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jonov
Raven
Raven

04 Aug 2013, 6:11 pm

I thought I'd ask a less serious question, as I would like to know what amazing things you notice due to your eye for detail, that others wouldn't instantly notice unless you pointed it out :)

Sometimes I watch a spider build its web on my window at 5'o clock in the morning and it is fascinating to see something like that.

While making a psychological test once I was distracted by the copyright protection as the word "KOPIE" (Dutch for copy) would show pulsating trough the text of the test itself.

So what about you?

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2013, 6:28 pm

I'm a keen gardener, and also enjoy bushwalking, so I notice all sorts of seedlings, plants, and wildlife that others would just walk by and not notice.
When doing bushcare I notice garden escape plants, lizards, birds, spider holes, and all sorts of things that people just don't see.
I've sat and watched a spider make it's web.
I've sat and listened to the sound of birds calling, frogs croaking, the wind blowing, and the trees creaking in the breeze; all things that your average person would miss as they walked through the bush looking at the forest, whilst not noticing the trees and wildlife.
I once saw a small tree snake on the ground, and just watched as it slithered into the scrub before I walked down the track it had just occupied.
I've smelled the smell of marsupials, which would have been unnoticeable to someone who wears heavy deodorant, aftershave, or perfume.
I've even smelled the scent of laundry detergent on fresh washed clothes as a jogger passed me on a track - I could smell him quite some time before I heard or saw him.
I notice all sorts of things that others disregard, don't care about, or think of as unimportant.
What's important is a matter of perspective, and I would feel something was missing if I was more "normal" and didn't notice these little details, but only saw the world in a big picture with no substance and no contrast.

Phssthpok
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Aug 2013, 6:32 pm

The company I work for does a lot of welding and recently I've become responsible for inspecting welds periodically. Whenever I go to the production floor now the welders start waving their arms and they tell me to leave. I think they're only half-joking.

Jonov
Raven
Raven

04 Aug 2013, 6:43 pm

benh72 wrote:
I'm a keen gardener, and also enjoy bushwalking, so I notice all sorts of seedlings, plants, and wildlife that others would just walk by and not notice.
When doing bushcare I notice garden escape plants, lizards, birds, spider holes, and all sorts of things that people just don't see.
I've sat and watched a spider make it's web.
I've sat and listened to the sound of birds calling, frogs croaking, the wind blowing, and the trees creaking in the breeze; all things that your average person would miss as they walked through the bush looking at the forest, whilst not noticing the trees and wildlife.
I once saw a small tree snake on the ground, and just watched as it slithered into the scrub before I walked down the track it had just occupied.
I've smelled the smell of marsupials, which would have been unnoticeable to someone who wears heavy deodorant, aftershave, or perfume.
I've even smelled the scent of laundry detergent on fresh washed clothes as a jogger passed me on a track - I could smell him quite some time before I heard or saw him.
I notice all sorts of things that others disregard, don't care about, or think of as unimportant.
What's important is a matter of perspective, and I would feel something was missing if I was more "normal" and didn't notice these little details, but only saw the world in a big picture with no substance and no contrast.

Very cool to read that, it must be great to see those things :)

I got quite a phobia for flying insects so I am not out in the forest and such that much, but today when I went for a smoke on the balcony, I couldn't resist calling my mother and sister over to watch the evening sky where the beams of sunlight shined so amazingly trough the cracks in the clouds, they also have Asperger's so they stayed and watched for a while :). I wonder if those things would have fascinated me as much if I wasn't so keen on details.

Last edited by Jonov on 04 Aug 2013, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 7:14 pm

I'm continually astounded by the things I have seen or heard that others in my immediate vicinity were oblivious to, as though it were some supernatural phenomena that was invisible to them.

I've told the story here before of seeing a bizarre aircraft flying over a parking lot on an overcast evening during Christmas shopping season, that I would have thought I must have hallucinated, were it not for the fact that one of my kids saw it when I tried calling my family's attention to it before it disappeared from view. It was not only fairly large, but noisy as hell and had bright halogen lights on it, yet the two dozen or more people wandering this busy parking lot went about their mundane business as though it wasn't there. Not one of them looked up - not ONE. When I yelled at my family, even they turned around and looked at ME, rather than at the noisy, brightly lit thing passing directly overhead, that looked like an X-Wing Fighter, flying BACKWARDS. Only the youngest boy saw it.

Things like that blow my mind - not because I see or hear them, but that others DON'T. How can people say with any assurance that this thing or that thing is IMPOSSIBLE, when they already completely MISS so many things that happen right in front of their eyes? UFOS can't be real? Okay, then what were the three huge triangular craft I watched for 90 minutes one night back in 1980, as they slowly drifted far overhead in what looked like some sort of docking maneuvers? They weren't kites with Chinese lanterns attached, I'm absolutely positive of that - and at the time, I'd never read about "Flying Triangles" in any UFO literature. That term didn't turn up for another five years or more. I can't claim they had space aliens in them, but they were clearly machines and if an airplane flew that slow, it would fall out of the sky. There were two other witnesses to that, but again, they stood and chattered while I watched the lights in the sky. Even after I pointed it out to them, they didn't seem to care.

joejoe1298
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Aug 2013, 8:44 pm

I love seeing details, even in every day life. It seems like other people do not notice them very much, while I can see them when not even trying. Examples are spiders crawling on spiderwebs and the little details of how mosquitoes look (they creep me out). I like being able to see the details in architecture, and not just its design. I like that I am able to see the cracks, small pieces of dirt, and the places on a wall where there is a little more paint than other places on that wall (or so it seems). I can see those things just by walking by them and not really looking for it. There is just so much to look at and notice. The ground and pavements outside have many details everywhere.
The downside is that I can get overwhelmed by all the details. It is still nice to see them, though.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Aug 2013, 9:44 pm

I have had many instances of seeing something truly bizarre or interesting, and had others around me not notice or seem to care.

One incident that comes to mind is when I was waiting for a bus one afternoon, on a busy corner in the downtown area. There were about six other people waiting with me. I heard someone shouting angrily, and looked up in time to see a man coming out of the bank on the corner, wearing a white shirt and tuxedo jacket, pink boxer shorts, socks held up with garters, and shoes. I thought it was some kind of publicity stunt or something. I watched him come out of the bank, yelling and shaking his fist at someone behind him, then he crossed the street and seemed to enter another building. It happened so quickly that I wasn't sure which building he had gone into. I waited for him to be forcibly ejected from the building he had entered, because of the way he was dressed, but nothing happened. When I looked at the faces of the other people who were waiting for the bus, no one seemed shocked or concerned. I strongly suspected that they hadn't even seen the strange man.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 10:24 pm

I always get absorbed in my surroundings. Wherever I am, on a walk in nature or walking down the street, or in a café, I love looking around and noticing everything. If there are other people around me I tune them out. Every time I go out anywhere, it is a very visual experience for me. I think that's part of the reason I like to be by myself.

I also like to get lost in patterns. The walls in my house are textured and when I look at the textured walls I see shapes in the patterns. It's always animal shapes, usually silly cartoon like animals. The same thing happens with a shower curtain in my house. It has a floral pattern, but when I stare at the floral pattern, my mind picks out animal shapes. I've done this since I was a kid, when I look at anything with a detailed pattern, I my mind picks out things that weren't intended in the pattern and usually it is some sort of animal.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 12:27 am

I make really detailed, intricate drawings (non-realistic)
of abstract geometric patterns, and also created mazes.

These things took time & patience
but I was driven to do them because I love to make decorative pretty things,
and I appreciate/notice getting all the details exactly right
(at least, enough for me to be satisfied with the finished work).

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 12:43 am

Borrowing a line from the movie The Matrix.

Quote:
Our biggest strength is simultaneously our biggest weakness

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 3:17 am

I have had an intimate relationship w/ poetic structure & birds all my life. Not much career potential in either.

EQ: 6.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2013, 6:09 am

I always see loads of detail in everything, its what makes me so good at art - being able to see whats really there. Most NT's go through life largely blind to the real world, where they see a tree as some kid of big green shape with a trunk I tend to see every single leaf.

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 6:58 am

My favorite details to notice are flowers and trees and grass and water details like the lake water. I can just soak that in all day.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 6:59 am

grahamguitarman wrote:
I always see loads of detail in everything, its what makes me so good at art - being able to see whats really there. Most NT's go through life largely blind to the real world, where they see a tree as some kid of big green shape with a trunk I tend to see every single leaf.
You mean NT's don't see every leaf? That seems sad to me.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 7:00 am

KevinLA wrote:
Borrowing a line from the movie The Matrix.

Quote:
Our biggest strength is simultaneously our biggest weakness
Funny how true that is.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 7:04 am

Like Marybird, said, we have a lot of textured walls in our house too and ceilings and I catch myself looking deeply into them and noticing all the details. Sometimes I see pictures in the patterns. One of our walls has a Winne The Pooh bear looking detail in how the paint went on. It's in one little spot but it's really great. I see lots of "pictures" like that. I also have a very vivid imagination which helps. I love looking at clouds too and see all sorts of details and "pictures" in them.