Asperger's and Autism Differences...DUH!! !!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2013, 9:01 am

http://news.yahoo.com/aspergers-autism- ... 42356.html

DUH!! !!

The people became experts...and thought they could manipulate the DSM because they know what's best for people with Asperger's and Autism.

I did not go looking for Asperger's...it found me by way of my Higher Power. Once we became acquainted, I found out that we had quite a bit in common and we became good friends. And then I landed on WrongPlanet!
</p>

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 9:48 am

pi_woman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2013, 11:23 am

This is why I've always thought of Asperger's Syndrome as "mirror-image" autism.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 12:28 pm

I will take that long, boring, sciency mumbo-jumbo and rewrite it in a way most people can understand:

The main difference between people with autism and Aspergers is that Aspies have what is like "a dash of Autism", and are very much aware of their unusual behavior. It is NOT a horrible disease that must be cured or corrected, and it is NOT the end of the world if you or a family member has it. The END.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 12:51 pm

Gubbly geeky gobbly. I can't understand what they're saying. Why don't they ask US what the differences are?

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

I've now seen The other thread. Thanks.

I did not go looking for Asperger's...it found me by way of my Higher Power. Once we became acquainted, I found out that we had quite a bit in common and we became good friends. And then I landed on WrongPlanet!
</p>

Last edited by Surreal on 05 Aug 2013, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

Here is paper on PubMed: PAPER

ASP (26 subjects) is small normal distribution within big normal distribution of ASD (430 subjects).

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 1:16 pm

The article is attempting to say that AS and Autism are not the same thing, however, the research they cite demonstrates what we already knew - that AS is a FORM of Autism, as it shares many Autistic characteristics but allows for relatively normal speech development.

It really isn't telling us anything new.

They seem to be trying to delineate some specific categorization as AUTISTIC | ASPERGIAN | NUEROTYPICAL and of course, its not that cut-and-dried simple, there are myriad subtle permutations in between, thus the "Spectrum" umbrella.

However, it does seem to support the case for keeping AS in the DSM as a separate diagnosis.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

05 Aug 2013, 1:36 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Here is paper on PubMed: PAPER

ASP (26 subjects) is small normal distribution within big normal distribution of ASD (430 subjects).

Thank you.

The conclusion states:

Quote:
Within a control-ASD dichotomy, an ASP population falls closer to ASD than controls. However, when compared directly with ASD, an ASP population is distinctly separate. The ASP population appears to constitute a neurophysiologically identifiable, normally distributed entity within the higher functioning tail of the ASD population distribution. These results must be replicated with a larger sample given their potentially immense clinical, emotional and financial implications for affected individuals, their families and their caregivers.