BC Rich/Dean/Schecter/Other Guitar & Bass 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Martin/Alvarez/Other Acoustic 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Other: Instruments, Equipment, or Effects 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9

blackmetal83092
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2013, 3:32 pm

If you were in a like minded situation as I was, this is the post for you.

Put down guitar for a while, ruined my chops & technique, felt too discourged to pick it back up.

I tried countless times, with trying to learn exercises, lead techniques, etc. but recently I noticed something. I was setting my aim too high.

The way you build your chops back up after not playing for an extended peroid is by rehearsing the simplest songs you know, and learning some of the less-technical songs you like.

I know every guitar player, bass player, drummer, etc. has more simple music they're into and beyond doubt, that'll build your chops & technique up like crazy.

The old advice for beginning guitar players really remians the same for return intermediate & advanced players. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Just take it easy, take it slow, and in no time you'll be playing like your old self again.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 4:23 pm

I only learned simple power cords and riffs, but still get a lot of pleasure from playing a few Black Sabbath melodies, and those Punk songs I used to Love, thing is, Iam so busy with going to work and all my Mechanical interests, that I go Months without picking up the Guitar.
Its really amazing though how quick the little you do know comes straight back.

Cant beat the Old SG for these sort of tunes!

Ellingtonia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2013, 8:55 pm

I make my own acoustic guitars; playing them is way more satisfying than any store-bought one I've ever had.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 1:52 pm

After I left my last band about 3 years ago, I only picked up the guitar a few times to play a few songs on a solo album which I completed over two years ago. I really don't play anymore and, in fact, sold a lot of my guitars. I only have, like, 5 or 6 left out of 12 and they're kind of crappy.