Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 3:15 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I really feel like I'm going to be one those people who ends up a pure alcoholic drunk in a seedy motel somewhere, roaches crawling on the floor next to empty bottles of gin and scotch, the moth-eaten curtains draping haphazardly across the windows, and me just wasting away in isolation, kissing my liver goodbye, waiting to die.
That sounds really, really pessimistic. But it can't be inevitable. I mean, there have to be ways to prevent it from happening. Most simply, to never drink at all... more usefully (because there's lots of other things you could get hooked on), to deal with whatever problems might drive you to it before they get that bad. 'Cause honestly, I don't think you want that kind of a half-life, and if you can stop it from happening, wouldn't that be a better option?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2013, 4:00 pm

I drink because I enjoy it.
Like many I have a complex relationship with alcohol.
I have been known to succumb to peer group pressure, and in my late teens a twenties drank more than was health, when going out with friends.
I have previously drunk for the wrong reasons, because I was feeling down, to cope with relationship problems, or just because I wanted to.
These days I mostly only drink on weekends.
I brew my one beer, so I savour it more than if I was just drinking at a pub, or opening bottles I'd bought.
I find now that since I'm brewing my own beer, I get to enjoy it more as it ages, so I try to let it age for at least 6 weeks before drinking it, and if it's really good I try not to get through it too quickly.
I also try to make sure I brew a new batch as soon as I have enough bottles free, so that I can allow each batch to age.
I would say these days I drink because I enjoy it, I savour it, and I don't drink too much.
Usually only 2 - 4 glasses of beer 2 - 3 days per week.
To drink more than that would be to invite depression to re-enter my life, and life is complex enough as it is without having to contend with that as well as everything else.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 4:04 pm

1 to 2 drinks per month just for fun.

Renaissance_Man
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2013, 7:38 pm

gretchyn wrote:
I drink for a few reasons. Like others, I feel more like other people when I'm drinking...I'm not as socially distant. Also, it gets my brain to shut off so that I don't constantly have a thousand thoughts zapping through my brain. Plus, I like the taste of beer and wine.

This is exactly why I drink frequently. Alcohol gives me a much needed break from my sensory issues and otherwise allows my brain to slow down. Sure, this sort of substance abuse can be dangerous, but what can I say? The sensation is simply euphoric!

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 7:52 pm

I only drink alcohol for the taste of it (good-tasting wine or some fruity drinks). Usually I have a half glass of wine with cheese and salami. The combination is delicious. I don't usually drink more than that. Also I don't like drinking when other people are around. If there were non-alcoholic wine that tastes exactly the same as real wine that goes well with cheese and salami, I'd rather have that.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 4:50 am

turtleoverhare wrote:
I do ( occasionally rarely now ), I used to full time but now I care more about my health. When I am drunk people love me .

no offense been their done that it does not last 8O

Mr_Nice
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Aug 2013, 4:59 am

I'm really sensitive to chemical stimulus, one glass of wine and i'm anyones. 3 glasses and i become inhibited and mute. the whole bottle and i'd probably die. I'm teetotal, all chemical stimulus ruins cognition for days, weeks, if not permenantly.

Last edited by Mr_Nice on 12 Aug 2013, 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 5:19 am

I can pretend to be someone else when I am drunk, and I don't really like who I am......so I get drunk lots!

Use it only to get drunk, would never ever just have 1 or 2.

I wonder if all this is also due to being from the UK as we have quite a lot of drink related problems here.

(I am trying to give it all up now though, at 33 I guess I am just too old to sit around drunk any more)

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 5:32 am

I drink beer after work.

It calms me down and helps me sleep.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 6:07 am

I, too, will drink a beer after work, but only on really stressful days...

Mostly, I drink in social situations to help calm my nerves. I've slowed that down a bit, though, as I tend to overdo it.

megocode3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2013, 4:22 pm

When I was younger I used to drink a lot. Drinking gave me something in common with others. This shared interest made socializing a little easier for me and gave me something to talk to them about. When I would get really drunk I would do silly things and people would laugh. I thought this was a way to make friends but it wasn't.

Nowadays, I rarely drink. I can't stand the hangover.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 4:51 pm

megocode3 wrote:
When I was younger I used to drink a lot. Drinking gave me something in common with others. This shared interest made socializing a little easier for me and gave me something to talk to them about. When I would get really drunk I would do silly things and people would laugh. I thought this was a way to make friends but it wasn't.Nowadays, I rarely drink. I can't stand the hangover.

I agree at the risk of repeating myself a drinking buddy relationship does not last sadly.