Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2013, 4:00 pm

I drink because I enjoy it.
Like many I have a complex relationship with alcohol.
I have been known to succumb to peer group pressure, and in my late teens a twenties drank more than was health, when going out with friends.
I have previously drunk for the wrong reasons, because I was feeling down, to cope with relationship problems, or just because I wanted to.
These days I mostly only drink on weekends.
I brew my one beer, so I savour it more than if I was just drinking at a pub, or opening bottles I'd bought.
I find now that since I'm brewing my own beer, I get to enjoy it more as it ages, so I try to let it age for at least 6 weeks before drinking it, and if it's really good I try not to get through it too quickly.
I also try to make sure I brew a new batch as soon as I have enough bottles free, so that I can allow each batch to age.
I would say these days I drink because I enjoy it, I savour it, and I don't drink too much.
Usually only 2 - 4 glasses of beer 2 - 3 days per week.
To drink more than that would be to invite depression to re-enter my life, and life is complex enough as it is without having to contend with that as well as everything else.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 4:04 pm

1 to 2 drinks per month just for fun.

Renaissance_Man
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2013, 7:38 pm

gretchyn wrote:
I drink for a few reasons. Like others, I feel more like other people when I'm drinking...I'm not as socially distant. Also, it gets my brain to shut off so that I don't constantly have a thousand thoughts zapping through my brain. Plus, I like the taste of beer and wine.

This is exactly why I drink frequently. Alcohol gives me a much needed break from my sensory issues and otherwise allows my brain to slow down. Sure, this sort of substance abuse can be dangerous, but what can I say? The sensation is simply euphoric!

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 7:52 pm

I only drink alcohol for the taste of it (good-tasting wine or some fruity drinks). Usually I have a half glass of wine with cheese and salami. The combination is delicious. I don't usually drink more than that. Also I don't like drinking when other people are around. If there were non-alcoholic wine that tastes exactly the same as real wine that goes well with cheese and salami, I'd rather have that.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 4:50 am

turtleoverhare wrote:
I do ( occasionally rarely now ), I used to full time but now I care more about my health. When I am drunk people love me .

no offense been their done that it does not last 8O

Mr_Nice
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Aug 2013, 4:59 am

I'm really sensitive to chemical stimulus, one glass of wine and i'm anyones. 3 glasses and i become inhibited and mute. the whole bottle and i'd probably die. I'm teetotal, all chemical stimulus ruins cognition for days, weeks, if not permenantly.

Last edited by Mr_Nice on 12 Aug 2013, 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 5:19 am

I can pretend to be someone else when I am drunk, and I don't really like who I am......so I get drunk lots!

Use it only to get drunk, would never ever just have 1 or 2.

I wonder if all this is also due to being from the UK as we have quite a lot of drink related problems here.

(I am trying to give it all up now though, at 33 I guess I am just too old to sit around drunk any more)

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 5:32 am

I drink beer after work.

It calms me down and helps me sleep.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 6:07 am

I, too, will drink a beer after work, but only on really stressful days...

Mostly, I drink in social situations to help calm my nerves. I've slowed that down a bit, though, as I tend to overdo it.

megocode3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2013, 4:22 pm

When I was younger I used to drink a lot. Drinking gave me something in common with others. This shared interest made socializing a little easier for me and gave me something to talk to them about. When I would get really drunk I would do silly things and people would laugh. I thought this was a way to make friends but it wasn't.

Nowadays, I rarely drink. I can't stand the hangover.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 4:51 pm

megocode3 wrote:
When I was younger I used to drink a lot. Drinking gave me something in common with others. This shared interest made socializing a little easier for me and gave me something to talk to them about. When I would get really drunk I would do silly things and people would laugh. I thought this was a way to make friends but it wasn't.Nowadays, I rarely drink. I can't stand the hangover.

I agree at the risk of repeating myself a drinking buddy relationship does not last sadly.