Page 5 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Aperture
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 1:32 pm

I haven't touched alcohol for years. My experience with it has been mostly very light drinking (although I did overdo it a couple of times as a teenager). I drank beer a little bit during my later years of college after a long time away from alcohol (just by myself - by this time I really didn't have much of a social life). While I often did enjoy the feeling of having a couple of bottles of beer, especially when I made a night of it, cooked a nice meal for myself, watched a good movie, etc., I had to give it up because of negative side effects. Two beers were good, but I added a third once and kind of spiraled into a panic attack. I felt like sh** and was very anxious most of the next day. Also, even when the actual drinking experience wasn't unpleasant, for about half of the next day I usually felt like I was in kind of a haze, and more prone to depression, anxiety, etc. The last time I drank alcohol was the day I graduated from college and "rewarded myself" with a couple of bottles of beer. The next day I felt crappy and anxious, so I just thought screw it, it's not worth it.

Lukario
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 1:41 pm

I tasted beer when I was 6 and hated it, now I can drink it even though It's bitter and I've gone to parties since I was 18, then I drink mostly drink 40% liquor (sometimes blended) and when it comes to drinking alone I drink Captain Morgan Spiced Gold & Cola, Smirnoff Ice and Irish Cream, I don't drink red & white wine so often though, when I do I blend them with orange juice and sometimes cola.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 4:07 pm

I drink. I love screwdrivers (especially with vanilla vodka).

Quote:
I would drink like a fish if only I could.

OMG the mental images that gave me. I will treasure them forever!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 4:27 pm

somebody needs to make a good 3% sweet hard cider. or maybe some sweet applejack.

BritAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2013, 4:39 pm

I do drink I love alcohol, it calms my Paranoia episodes however my mates and family say I drink far too much.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 4:43 pm

BritAspie wrote:
I do drink I love alcohol, it calms my Paranoia episodes however my mates and family say I drink far too much.

If I liked to drink, I'd learn to make my own. I'm not sure about Britain, but in the US moonshine is making a comeback.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 4:46 pm

in Belgium, chocolate beer is routine, but not in America- WHY??? Image

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 4:52 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Blabby, Belgians do some crazy things with alcohol. I remember this one brand of beer called Duvel that was fourteen percent alcohol and came in one liter bottles. Try slamming a half dozen of those.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 5:16 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Blabby, Belgians do some crazy things with alcohol. I remember this one brand of beer called Duvel that was fourteen percent alcohol and came in one liter bottles. Try slamming a half dozen of those.

how does it compare with MD20/20?

Soham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2013, 5:21 pm

skibum wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
AFAIC, hops make beer taste like dirt- bitter. I don't understand how so many folks find bitter flavors to be delicious. that is like saying dirt is delicious.
I completely agree. People have told me that it is an acquired taste and it takes time to like it. I don't understand why anyone would go through that kind of effort. That baffles me. Hops are fantastic to help you sleep though. Put some dried hops in a sachet in your pillowcase and you will be fast asleep in no time. In fact people who work in some breweries have a hard time staying awake.

Beer is most definitely an acquired taste. Just like a lot of other bitter things such as teas, coffee, dark chocolate, etc...after a while there isn't as much of a sharp bitter bite and there's a dance of subtle nuances of flavors on the tongue. In hoppy bears such as pale ales, I'll often taste notes of pineapple, orange, banana, spicey pepper, apple, etc depending on the type of hops and brew. When I was younger I'd often think, ya right, bull sh*t it taste like those things :roll: , but once I acquired a taste I started to notice a lot of subtle flavors in good quality brews. The same essential oils/terpenes found in hops are found in other fruits/herbs/flowers, which contribute flavor & aroma.

In regards to the original post....I drank a little bit in my late teen years, got buzzed my first time when I was 18. For a few years I'd drink occasionally with friends and get rather drunk every so often, I was kinda doing it just because it seemed like the thing to do. As I became older I realized how lame and boring of a drug alcohol is. I thoroughly enjoy the taste of good beer, I really do, but I don't like the effects of alcohol all that much, just makes me sleepy and numb. Maybe once or twice a month I'll have a beer or two with dinner or when hanging with a friend.

As far as using something to loosen up when I find my self in a social setting, I much prefer cannabis and/or kratom.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 7:39 pm

There were seriously desperate times in my life when I'd drink anything to get a buzz, this included rotgut wines like Cisco and MD 20/20.

I used to go around collecting bottles to make enough money to buy a 40 oz of beer. I also dumpster-dived for those empty bottles, too.

My grandfather smoked opium. My father drank heavy liquor. I don't think my brothers or sister drink like I do or did.

I think I might be the only one from my family who also did drugs, but I could be wrong. My siblings are secretive about their lives.

I also had my first drink, gin, when I was 7 or 8. My uncle left out it just so I can drink it. Boy, was I drunk!

mountainhermit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2013, 7:55 pm

I'm high functioning and when I can I drink a lot to escape life. Beer doesn't do much to me until I have 3 or 4. Mostly Yukon Jack, about an 1/8th of a bottle to feel extremely buzzed for a few hours. Have to say I only drink (meaning even in small sips) about 2 or 3 times a year. I don't like the damage it does to the body but it feels good.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 8:05 pm

^^^
hiya Mountainhermit :) welcome to the club 8)

mountainhermit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2013, 8:06 pm

^ Thankyou very much! I wasn't expecting that lol

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 9:22 pm

Northeastern292 wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if I'm one of only a few Aspies who is a teetotaler, as in a non-drinker of alcoholic beverages? I know this has been sort of covered in other topics, but not directly. Heck, I've never been buzzed, no less drunk. m

Do any of you drink?

I had a drinking problem in my early 20s but have been a teetotaler now for the last 10 years.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 9:43 pm

^^^
:wtg: