Has Anyone Gotten Their DNA Ancestry Done?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 6:44 pm

I just went on the internet to obtain some information about ancient Denmark. The more information I gather about mitochondrial dna and our reference group (Denmark) the less I believe there is a real connection between my ancestors and Scandinavia.

I have to admit that the vikings stimulate my tendency for delusional thinking in a pleasant way but the part of my brain that has at least some contact with reality still tells me it's nonsense. I went on Youtube as well and found a couple of clips with so called "original viking music", accompanied by stereotypical drawings of vikings who looked like present day bodybuilders on steroids. That was about it I'm afraid. Is there anyone who can give me some relevant information?

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 7:03 pm

Oh well, at least I have the certainty of my dad's African background. There are no doubts about that when I look in the mirror because it's clearly visible in my case. It would be great if my mother would have some concrete information about her heritage though but alas!

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 7:21 pm

Nambo wrote:
I very much want to get this done, I want to find out if I am Baltic Prussian, Polish Prussian, Jewish Prussian, or German Prussian, or a mixture.

So I looked at this site:- LINK and looking at their examples, it would seem all they can tell me is Iam East European, which I would know anyway just by looking in the mirror, are there any tests here in the UK that can give me the detailed answers Iam looking for?

I don't think these tests are detailed enough to give a concrete answer to your questions. You will probably be labeled as 54% Northern European with Austria. Poland or Germany as the reference group. Besides, as far as I know there is no concrete evidence that proves the existence of very specific jewish dna, sad as that may be. That has yet to be discovered.

My mum always thought she was at least part jewish but according to the National Geographic Geno project she is a sandinavian, an italian, a Southwest asian and a neanderthal slash denisovan, but who knows National Geographic may be right.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 8:05 pm

My theory is that these reference groups that the NT Genographic Project is referring to are very relative. Only a very small percentage of the general population has been involved in ancestral dna research which means that the reference group may change as the dna of more people with regard to ancestry has been researched. Once that has happened hey may find a population in a slightly different part of the world that has more in common with your ancestral dna than the reference group that is being mentioned at this moment. Am I making myself clear? Probably not.

I don't want to criticise the genographic project too much though. I have been far too harsh on them in my last couple of posts.
I do think they are doing a fantastic job on the whole with all the right intentions and I wish them well. I think I was just a bit too overwhelmed by doubts because of the results and that has temporarily overruled my initial enthusiasm. Sorry!