Has Anyone Gotten Their DNA Ancestry Done?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2013, 6:08 pm

I'm dying to do it, but I live at home, and my mother has begged me not to do it, because she is afraid my father (ass) might divorce her and disown me if I have any African genetic background (again-ass)
I'm particularly interested in any Neanderthal DNA I might have-I think that will be so cool!, So I'll try to have the test done on the down low.
BTW-my mother is not afraid that I might have another man's DNA other than my father, but she's from the southern United States, and although there is no family stories about "black blood." it's always a possibility-particularly since there are some out of wedlock pregnancies, affairs and a rape in her side of the family's past, where paternity is unknown. ) (Although the rapist was probably the owner of the farm that my great great grandmother sharecropped on, so he's unlikely to be black.)

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 8:24 pm

I just shipped a DNA kit to Nationgal Geographic. I really hope they will receive it in one piece. I wanted to do this for years and I finally took action. I haven't been this excited in years! I can hardly wait for the results.

Since I am female they can only trace the ancestral DNA of the female side of the family. I am hoping for some spectacular surprises although I doubt if that will be the case.

I seem to have a problem with logging in on the NG site though . They should really do something about that since people pay a fair amount of money to have the test done. They should send people a personalised e-mail has soon as they have the results and give the participants more value for money.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 8:28 pm

MagicToenail wrote:
I'm dying to do it, but I live at home, and my mother has begged me not to do it, because she is afraid my father (ass) might divorce her and disown me if I have any African genetic background (again-ass)
I'm particularly interested in any Neanderthal DNA I might have-I think that will be so cool!, So I'll try to have the test done on the down low.
BTW-my mother is not afraid that I might have another man's DNA other than my father, but she's from the southern United States, and although there is no family stories about "black blood." it's always a possibility-particularly since there are some out of wedlock pregnancies, affairs and a rape in her side of the family's past, where paternity is unknown. ) (Although the rapist was probably the owner of the farm that my great great grandmother sharecropped on, so he's unlikely to be black.)

Wow!
Is dear daddy a bit of a racist?

The funny thing about these tests is that the ancestral DNA of every single person an the planet can be traced back to Africa because that is the place of origin of us homo sapiens. This ofcourse means that your dad's DNA will have it roots in Africa as well.

No
Toucan
Toucan

06 Aug 2013, 11:14 pm

The autism would interfere with that.......... Ghbv gg fax dg

No
Toucan
Toucan

06 Aug 2013, 11:16 pm

The autism would interfere with that..........

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 6:56 am

No wrote:
The autism would interfere with that..........

Have you been taking your medication lately?

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2013, 11:51 am

pokerface wrote:
MagicToenail wrote:

Wow!
Is dear daddy a bit of a racist?

The funny thing about these tests is that the ancestral DNA of every single person an the planet can be traced back to Africa because that is the place of origin of us homo sapiens. This ofcourse means that your dad's DNA will have it roots in Africa as well.

Yup. Daddy's pure Japanese, with perhaps some Chinese way back, and his generation is very racist toward black people. It might have something to do with their first exposure to black people being with the American Occupation forces.
I actually think it's kind of neat that we're all at least 50th cousins to each other and can trace their DNA to Africa.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2013, 12:00 pm

pokerface wrote:
I just shipped a DNA kit to Nationgal Geographic. I really hope they will receive it in one piece. I wanted to do this for years and I finally took action. I haven't been this excited in years! I can hardly wait for the results.

Since I am female they can only trace the ancestral DNA of the female side of the family. I am hoping for some spectacular surprises although I doubt if that will be the case.

I seem to have a problem with logging in on the NG site though . They should really do something about that since people pay a fair amount of money to have the test done. They should send people a personalised e-mail has soon as they have the results and give the participants more value for money.

Hope you get your results soon!

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 1:56 pm

MagicToenail wrote:
pokerface wrote:

Hope you get your results soon!

I shipped the kit last week and it takes about ten weeks before I get the results. I am anxious as well as excited because I am not sure if NG will receive the packet. I hope they will!

Last edited by pokerface on 09 Aug 2013, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 3:12 pm

I forgot to mention that I didn't use my own DNA but that of my mother, as a sort of tribute to her because she is so ill.
I doesn't matter anyway, since I am her biological. Her DNA is my DNA as well.

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2013, 5:06 pm

My parents have (DNA Consultants, autosomal). My dad had a more in-depth test than my mom. His results were also much more genetically admixed, which we expected since his family has been in the States since the 1600s (my mom's family came from Russia - Volga Germans, primarily - in the early 1900s).

Apparently I am basically everything except Irish, French, and Asian. I am primarily German, Scottish, and Native American.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 5:44 pm

Interesting KDM. Did you expect those results?

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2013, 6:28 pm

Not all of them. The most surprising was the high Native American admix. I expected some, but it was higher than expected, and I did not anticipate any on my mother's side, though we eventually did some digging and found from where it came.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 10:25 am

I think your native american blood is kinda special and something to be proud of.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 2:45 pm

I finally received the results of the National Geographic Genographic Project and it has left me with more doubts than answers. I feel bad for my mum who was really looking forward to the results because she is so ill. She would have loved to get some clarity before the end of her life.

My mum is white and my dad is a West African so I expected results that do not necessarily correspond with my own appearance. Since I am female the only line that can be traced is the mitochondrial dna. The dna dna that is passed on from mother to daughter. It is impossible to trace your father's dna if you are a female, a long story that I am not get into here.

According to the tests our mitochondrial dna is 42% Northern european, 40% Mediterranian, 15 % Southwest Asian,
2.5% Neanderthal and 2.1% Denisovan.
Denisovans are hominids (non homo sapiens) that are closely relataed to Neanderthals, yet have enough differences in their dna to classify them as a separate group of hominids.

The part that I perceive as the most doubtful are these vague reference groups that are given. With refercence groups they mean areas and countries in which the largest number of people can be found that have approximately the same mitochondrial dna as you and in our case the maternal ancestors. The reference group for our 42% Northern European dna is Denmark and the reference group for our Mediterranian dna is Tuscany in Italy. We know enough of my mum's family history to safely assume that our forefathers (or foremothers in this case) where not Danish vikings and the Tuscany part of the story seems unlikely to us as well. I have nothing against these regions ofcourse, on the contrary! I just think our results are highly unlikely. It is a fact that most europeans have some Neanderthal dna so we don't have a problem with that aspect of the results.

The whole thing feels like a practical joke and I think it is very unappropriate to joke around with someone who is as ill as my mum! We used my mum's dna this time but in a couple of months time or so we are going to give it another try by using my dna. If the outcome is totally different we will be sure of the fact that this research is total nonsense. Since my mother and I payed good money to have this done I am going to raise hell and will be seeking publicity if that proves to be the case. If the outcome is the same however, we know the Genographic Project is right and that we where just overcome by surprise because of the research.

The only thing research like this proves is that we are indeed all related.

Last edited by pokerface on 29 Sep 2013, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 5:50 pm

I very much want to get this done, I want to find out if I am Baltic Prussian, Polish Prussian, Jewish Prussian, or German Prussian, or a mixture.

So I looked at this site:- LINK and looking at their examples, it would seem all they can tell me is Iam East European, which I would know anyway just by looking in the mirror, are there any tests here in the UK that can give me the detailed answers Iam looking for?