If you could be granted a simple wish to make it easier...

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 11:39 am

zette wrote:
TiredMom wrote:
I don't want a voucher to a special school. I want the public schools that I help support with my tax dollars (and that I believe in fervently) had adequate programs to protect our kids from bullying and help them learn.

If the voucher would let me transfer to that other elementary school that has a better program for my son than the one in my assigned school (where they wanted to put him with the Downs Syndrome kids) then I would agree. :)

Zette, here (NY) if your zoned school cannot offer your child an appropriate spot, or the 'least restrictive' environment for their needs, you can make a case to be placed in another school that can. Have you tried to push it?

We have some great programs in the public schools here for kids on the spectrum, but there aren't that many and really hard to find a spot in. Plus, they tend to only accept 'well behaved' kids. I am lucky to have my kids in a good public school, but it doesn't know what to do with my older son who reads above grade level but writes backwards, and the public schools don't have the means to really help dyslexic kids. The school is very willing to do the best we all can do, though, but I suspect my younger son would so much better in a smaller school that could really work with his social issues.

So, I guess, I also wish that we could all find (easily) the 'best' school fit for our kids and had access to them easily.

zette
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 11:56 am

Fitzi wrote:
zette wrote:
TiredMom wrote:
I don't want a voucher to a special school. I want the public schools that I help support with my tax dollars (and that I believe in fervently) had adequate programs to protect our kids from bullying and help them learn.

If the voucher would let me transfer to that other elementary school that has a better program for my son than the one in my assigned school (where they wanted to put him with the Downs Syndrome kids) then I would agree. :)

Zette, here (NY) if your zoned school cannot offer your child an appropriate spot, or the 'least restrictive' environment for their needs, you can make a case to be placed in another school that can. Have you tried to push it?

We have some great programs in the public schools here for kids on the spectrum, but there aren't that many and really hard to find a spot in. Plus, they tend to only accept 'well behaved' kids. I am lucky to have my kids in a good public school, but it doesn't know what to do with my older son who reads above grade level but writes backwards, and the public schools don't have the means to really help dyslexic kids. The school is very willing to do the best we all can do, though, but I suspect my younger son would so much better in a smaller school that could really work with his social issues.

So, I guess, I also wish that we could all find (easily) the 'best' school fit for our kids and had access to them easily.

It's a long story, and things had reached a crisis point. Our advocate referred us to a lawyer, and it was going to take 6-9 months to get through due process. We wanted a larger house anyway, so we chose to pay privately for a special ed school while we sold and bought. We're just about to start the process of getting an appropiate placement with the new district.

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 12:27 pm

zette wrote:

It's a long story, and things had reached a crisis point. Our advocate referred us to a lawyer, and it was going to take 6-9 months to get through due process. We wanted a larger house anyway, so we chose to pay privately for a special ed school while we sold and bought. We're just about to start the process of getting an appropiate placement with the new district.

Well, I really hope it works out.

TiredMom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2013, 12:42 am

Hope you get what you need. Good luck.