Emuparadise and building your own computer...?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 6:27 am

Okay for one thing I want to know if emuparadise or any other specific ROM sites are okay, because I know that the I.C.E. virus comes a lot w/pirated downloads, right?
I actually got it at school once downloading Kingdom Hearts ISO.

Also what is the difference in value of building your own PC vs buying pre-built?

Dad says its better to have mass prodction rather than arranging parts,also you gotta buy the OS unless pre-built

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 11:42 am

Emuparadise is pretty clean. I scanned all of mine and nothing seems to come up.

As far as custom vs. prebuilt. What's the difference between one computer and another? Some people like to say that homebrews are universally more awesome, but high end Alienwares can trash most. What I CAN say is that homebrews are usually cheaper. A computer with my specs would run probably around $2000 if I had bought something packaged. Instead, a $750 crap HP with a rather good motherboard and processor, a new power supply (cannibalized), and new Geforce GTX660 (Got it for $179 on New Egg), and new ram, the whole thing runs around $1000 and can compete with my buddy's $2250 Alienware.

The other benefit to customization is that you can control what is in your computer. Most companies use one really awesome part to sell the computer, and the rest of the components suck. This one had an excellent processor, for example. The video card was a five year old card repackaged and with added VRAM to make it look like a 1GB. It couldn't run 3 year old games on the lowest setting. It had plenty of ram, but the ram was of low quality. The power supply could barely run a crap card, let alone a decent one. Oh, and the thing ran HOT. So, I yanked all the crap components, replaced them, redecorated the interior to increase airflow (My new video card wouldn't fit unless I chopped a big hole in the case. Thing runs coooooooool, but I have to dust it out more often.)

My point being, the real difference between the two is sovereignty over your machine and cost.

As far as the OS is concerned... Yes, you have to buy it if you want Windows. However, the price reduction (if you're a careful shopper) is such that it's STILL cheaper. If you really want to save money... Linux, my friends. It's the future, and it's gaming potential is seriously blooming with the rise of Unity engine and Kickstarter. There's three AAA games coming for Linux, and a whole new toolkit thanks to Kickstarter. Best of all... It's FREE.

Finally, a custom built machine doesn't have bloatware on it, and most importantly, you can install Windows 7 out of the box and avoid that monstrosity that is Windows 8. Seriously, don't buy Windows 8. If for no other reason that it uses WAY too many resources and will often barely run on my laptop's browser, with nothing else installed or running. Any new store bought rig is gonna come with Windows 8, and if you want something else, you have to work a lot of BIOS ninja voodoo to change it.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 4:08 am

I used to run a file server in the day and had good contact with some of the older members of that website.
It's pretty clean. I still get files off there every now and again.

Relicanth7
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 3:24 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Emuparadise is pretty clean. I scanned all of mine and nothing seems to come up.

As far as custom vs. prebuilt. What's the difference between one computer and another? Some people like to say that homebrews are universally more awesome, but high end Alienwares can trash most. What I CAN say is that homebrews are usually cheaper. A computer with my specs would run probably around $2000 if I had bought something packaged. Instead, a $750 crap HP with a rather good motherboard and processor, a new power supply (cannibalized), and new Geforce GTX660 (Got it for $179 on New Egg), and new ram, the whole thing runs around $1000 and can compete with my buddy's $2250 Alienware.

The other benefit to customization is that you can control what is in your computer. Most companies use one really awesome part to sell the computer, and the rest of the components suck. This one had an excellent processor, for example. The video card was a five year old card repackaged and with added VRAM to make it look like a 1GB. It couldn't run 3 year old games on the lowest setting. It had plenty of ram, but the ram was of low quality. The power supply could barely run a crap card, let alone a decent one. Oh, and the thing ran HOT. So, I yanked all the crap components, replaced them, redecorated the interior to increase airflow (My new video card wouldn't fit unless I chopped a big hole in the case. Thing runs coooooooool, but I have to dust it out more often.)

My point being, the real difference between the two is sovereignty over your machine and cost.

As far as the OS is concerned... Yes, you have to buy it if you want Windows. However, the price reduction (if you're a careful shopper) is such that it's STILL cheaper. If you really want to save money... Linux, my friends. It's the future, and it's gaming potential is seriously blooming with the rise of Unity engine and Kickstarter. There's three AAA games coming for Linux, and a whole new toolkit thanks to Kickstarter. Best of all... It's FREE.

Finally, a custom built machine doesn't have bloatware on it, and most importantly, you can install Windows 7 out of the box and avoid that monstrosity that is Windows 8. Seriously, don't buy Windows 8. If for no other reason that it uses WAY too many resources and will often barely run on my laptop's browser, with nothing else installed or running. Any new store bought rig is gonna come with Windows 8, and if you want something else, you have to work a lot of BIOS ninja voodoo to change it.

Listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about... general synopsis...

Building computer:

Pros:
1. You get so select parts.
2. Satisfaction of running a rig you built.
3. OEM's suck at life.
3.1. Generally tons cheaper to build yourself as Manufacturers will overcharge for using rock bottom 'quality' components half the time.
4. No Bloatware (pre-installed garbage SW that OEM's cram on your computer before they sell it to you... most of it is advertisements and other resource hogging garbage).
5. Select you own OS.
5.1. W8 sucks... (M$ be drunk bro)
5.2. Linux video drivers are still kinda bad for gaming... sadface...
6. Fun.

Oh, and W8 sucks!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 5:10 am

JanuaryMan wrote:
It's pretty clean. I still get files off there every now and again.

Weird, I thought I posted something similar the other day, but it looks like I didn't.

But yeah, I agree with this, and fueledbycoffee said prettymuch everything else I was going to say. Except I've not tried Win8 so I have no opinion on it =)